Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Movies, Books, and a Writer Caught in Between ~ Eric Wilson



Eric Wilson and his wife of eighteen years live in Nashville, TN, with their two teen daughters. When he’s not writing, he’s playing basketball, taking hikes, and dreaming of the day he can take his wife on a cruise. He is the author of six novels, including Expiration Date and A Shred of Truth. The first in his Jerusalem’s Undead Trilogy, Field of Blood, will be in stores October 7.



Movies, Books, and a Writer Caught in Between by Eric Wilson




Writing is a solitary venture. I sit. I think. I type, muse, chew my nails, and type some more. Eventually, a book takes shape. Last February, I accepted the challenge of turning a movie into a novel, but I questioned my own ability to collaborate on such a project. To add to the pressure, I wanted to be sure to honor what God had already done through the movie, Facing the Giants. How, for example, could I transfer the death-crawl scene onto paper and make it half as meaningful?

I prayed a lot. I felt humbled, and thrilled, that my career was being given a second wind. I spent an afternoon watching the movie, brainstorming with Alex and Stephen Kendrick, writers of the original screenplay, then went home to crank out the book over the next month.

Here was my process: First, I transferred every word, facial expression, and background detail onto paper. Second, I fleshed out those scenes with techniques suited for a novel, including interior monologue. Finally, I worked in subplots and character back-stories. I tried to remain faithful to the Kendricks’ intentions, while adding depth and surprises for readers. I turned a 20,000 word screenplay into a 70,000 word manuscript. I cried. I laughed. And the Kendricks had as much fun as I did discovering new angles I’d woven into the plot.

To date, Facing the Giants is my only book that’s earned me royalties. I’ve just released the novelization of Flywheel, also from the Kendricks, and I’m working on Fireproof—a powerful story to be published along with the theatrical debut later this September.

I don’t understand God’s ways. I can only continue to do my best with the talents He’s given. From there, I’ll praise Him when I win and praise Him when I lose.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Eric.

    I'm going to have to check out your novelizations of the movies.

    The process is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric, just because your other books didn't sell as well doesn't mean that you lost . . . every single experience is part of a writer's journey. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know all of the above. It never stops fascinating me to see God bless what He blesses. Though I haven't earned my first novel contract (I'm writing book 5 now), He's blessed Novel Journey beyond anything I could have imagined. He's such a mystery but I'm proud of you (and me :) that we're being faithful with whatever He leads us to do.

    You're a blessing, Eric. I get the feeling that beautiful wife of yours will get her cruise soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, so good to see you here. Congrats on your novelizations and your upcoming Undead novel in October. I am already telling people about that book. I'm so excited to see the things that are happening for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know how much your encouragement means, everyone. Well, Brandilyn, you might--you've heard me whine before.

    Right now I'm just so thrilled to still be writing. The opportunity is a true gift, certainly not based on my perfect attitude. Ha.

    As for the cruise...Honestly, my wife is the sweetest person in the world. Sharing an attic with her would be better than a cruise ship with anyone else. If you don't believe me, you've gotta meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric, your last comment made me smile. It's so true. I just wonder why we strive to understand God? :D

    Instead, we all need to do like you say: do our best with the talents He gave us and praise Him, no matter what the results. It's all about Him anyway. :D

    Rather humbling, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a journey. Thanks for sharing, Eric. And congrats.

    And, I recently saw the movie Flywheel. You all should check it out. Pretty amazing for being a low-budget deal. Really moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ane. I borrowed the line from "Facing the Giants," but I think it's a good one.

    Janet, it's funny how "Flywheel" and "Facing the Giants" aren't stories I would've told myself--at least not in that style--but how God has used them to touch me personally and professionally. He works in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.