Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Devotion- MInd Control

Janet Rubin

We've got an infestation at my house. Mainly in my daughters' bedrooms. Hundreds of little critters that seem to just keep multiplying. You can't cross the room without stepping on a few...

Okay, don't email me the web site for a good exterminator. I'm talking about stuffed animals. My girls love their furry little friends and take great pleasure in accumulating more. They count their animals like Scrooge counted his money. Last I knew, they were reporting a collective total of 200. Wow. I'd object, but the girls save up for most of these and buy them themselves. And the animals don't sit around gathering dust. They all have names, little animal families, and endless adventures.

The other day, Cassidy interrupted my writing to share the interesting fact that all of her animals have the same favorite color she does-- blue.

"That's amazing," I said. "What a coincidence that they would all have the same favorite color as you do!"

Cassidy replied with a duh tone of voice, "Well, they all have my mind."

Of course.

Well naturally that got your Sunday devotion writer thinking. The animals do all have Cassidy's mind. Until she adopted them, they were nothing but fluff-filled toys on store shelves. But adopt them she did, and with her love and imagination, breathed life into them, giving them names, personalities, and things to do. And, I assure you, none of those animals does a thing without her direction.

The whole thing is an imperfect metaphor for God, the creator, and us, his children. Imperfect for a couple of reasons: For one thing, Cassidy didn't create the animals. For another, the animals have no free will. They must do what Cassidy wants them to do. Like little robots, they must have a parade if told to have a parade, or go to sleep if instructed to go to sleep...or marry whatever other furry animal Cassidy considers a suitable match.

In these ways, we are different. God did make us:

Genesis 2:7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

God created us in His image. That phrase- "in His image"- intrigues me. I often think that this is why we are creative; because we are god-like. This is why we are relational, why we value beauty. But He meant for us to also have His mind. Which I think means having his attitude. Or liking what the One who bought us ("You are not your own; you were bought at a price." 1 Cor6:19) likes. For Cassidy's elephants, bears, and unicorns, that means liking the color blue. For us it means things far more significant. God even sent Jesus to show us what that looks like:

Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Yet, He doesn't force us to have His mind. Based on the verses above, I'd say having Christ's mind has a lot to do with being focused on humility and obedience, not being caught up in our own image, and not being superior to anyone, but serving, and taking up a cross. As for liking what God likes? Here's a good list of stuff He digs:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Lord, thank You for breathing life into me and for giving me a choice. I chose to be a part of your family, accepting the gift of soul-cleaning, life-giving blood of your Son. Now, I want to choose to have Your mind, and that part is proving more difficult. Please help me Lord. Put Your mind in me. Strip away my pride. Help me to think of others before thinking of myself. Give me the courage to be obedient and to carry whatever cross You have for me. Fill my mind with good and lovely things. Renew my mind. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet. Yes, I have to say that this is sweet...and it touches my spirit. The verses mix up a fresh batch of yearning; with a dash of challenge:).

    Have a cup o'joy
    and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility and obedience! Amen, sister. Thanks for the reminder. The flesh sure loves pride and rebellion, yet through the Spirit of God we have overcome.

    Re: 200 stuffed animals

    At least you don't have to feed them, clean a litter box and pay vet bills. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture you painted.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.