Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Author Interview: Nancy Rue



Tell us about your journey to publication. How long did it take before your novel was published?

Steve had the idea first – he wanted a series of novels that took people down the dark paths so common to the human experience. Once we agreed to write them together, he approached Integrity Publishing, who contracted us for three novels, with an option for 2 more. When Thomas Nelson bought Integrity, we were welcomed into the Nelson fold. My part in all of that was easy – Steve did the negotiating, as he does so well!

Tell us about your process for co-authoring a book?

I (Nancy) took Steve’s idea of dark journeys and came up with several basic scenarios. We chose one for our first book and after much discussion between us and Joey Paul (then our contact at Integrity) decided to create a therapist character who would be present in all the books.

I wanted that character to be a woman, but fortunately went with Steve’s instinct on that. I can’t imagine Sullivan Crisp being anything other than who he is!

I then put together a detailed outline, and Steve and I spent a significant amount of time going over that, fleshing it out, correcting, heightening tension. Once that was in place, I went into hibernation for several months and came out with a first draft. Steve went over chunks of it at a time until we had it just as we wanted it. Or, as we like to think, as God wanted it. The process worked so well, we have continued it in writing Healing Waters.

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

I’m not sure we’ve made any in this particular process. It helps to have a wonderful agent, which I do. Mine has an uncanny sense of where I will fit and who will be a good match for what I have to offer.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Concentrate on your message, what God wants you to say. The crafting of that comes first. If it’s a God-thing, it will be published. And believe, me, I’ve had some projects that weren’t!

What is the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?
An editor (not involved in THIS project!) once said to me, “Before you turn in this manuscript, read it as if you were me, and remember what I like and what I don’t like.”

Was she serious?
I read my final manuscript as if I am the reader we’re trying to reach. Trying to please an editor is the worst approach – and it means that isn’t the right editor.

What would you advice would you give someone just entering this business? How should they maneuver the publishing life?

Focus first on your art. While you’re creating a piece of writing, forget about publishers, agents, book store owners, best seller lists. Just write the best book you and God can put together.

After that, get yourself a good agent. If that seems impossible, go to a great writer’s conference, proposal in hand, and meet some. Be professional, but continue to keep the focus on the work.

And by the way, to produce your best work, follow the advice of Anton Chekov, “If you want to work on your art, work on your life.” A strong relationship with God will lead you to the creative life necessary for great art.

What is something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

I wish I had known that every project takes longer than you think it’s going to take. I would have always given myself more of a margin when it came to deadlines.

What's a good novel to read in regards to study of the craft?

I think Jodi Piccoult’s novels make great textbooks because she is strong in both character and plot, and her dialogue is almost flawless. Not to mention the imagery .. . I want to be her when I grow up.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

Healing Stones truly is my best piece of writing for adults. I opened a vein when I was working on it, and I used many of the techniques I learned from Donald Maass in the process. I think this book has more depth than anything else I’ve written for grown-ups. Much of my work has been for young people, and there I couldn’t choose. I take holy pride in the entire body of work God has led me through.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

I’m up at 5:00 and spend the next three hours getting the house and my spiritual self in order.

I’m at my desk at 8, doing business, email, etc., and by 9 I’m at work on a creative project.

There’s a break in there to walk the dogs, and another to have a quick lunch, but from 9 until 4:30 I’m working at my desk.

It’s sometimes hard for me to take breaks because I get so into it, but when I do wander out to the lake with the puppies, the ideas have a chance to percolate and I’m fresher when I return to the computer. Unless I’m travelling to do research or speak at events, that’s what I do four days a week. On Wednesdays I leave my country home and go into Nashville where I belong to a women’s’breakfast club, take care of business, have lunch with my grown daughter, and do some writing in a coffee shop. I’m an extrovert, so I need that one day a week to get out with people and gather some energy.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I would love to have F. Scott Fitzgerald’s command of the language., The Great Gatsby is still one of the most truly beautifully books I’ve ever read in terms of imagery.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I would love for Sullivan Crisp to become a household word. He has so much to offer humankind

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

I love the research and planning the most. I despise dealing with taxes as a self-employed writer.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

My marketing is mostly done when I speak and teach. I am not one to send newsletters or have pencils printed up with my name on them. To me, the marketing is part of the entire process, because it’s all ministry.

Parting words?

If you can’t not write, you are a writer and you need to create the best you’re capable of. The world needs you.

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, I loved Healing Stones. Your writing is terrific. And man, what a subject to take on. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote:

    I wish I had known that every project takes longer than you think it’s going to take. I would have always given myself more of a margin when it came to deadlines.

    Amen and amen. Such true words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv, love, LOVE Nancy Rue!!!!!!

    She is an amazing encouragement to writers. She is genuine and cares, and is totally AMAZING.

    If you ever have a chance to sit under her instruction, just do it.

    Thank you, Nancy, for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Healing Stones and looking forward to another Sullivan Crisp novel.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.