Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, September 07, 2007

The Great Divide

Recently, I read an article about how Americans can't handle book covers as risqué as our counterparts the British. I had a preconceived notion going into the article that it was stuff and nonsense, but interestingly enough, the covers they used as examples really were offensive. That was the first time I began to think about the differences between American and British book covers.

Then, even more recently, I happened to be on the U.K. site for Amazon and stumbled across the cover of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was surprised that the British cover made me want to read the book. After all, I've known about the book for awhile, and many of our store's customers have recommend it to me. But until I saw it with a different jacket, I wasn't planning to read it.

This got me interested.

Why is there such a difference between our and British book covers?

I found this article online, which I thought did a great job exploring the topic. [
Click here to read it.]

It basically stated that American covers tend to use the full space, sort of a 'the bigger, the better' approach geared towards selling. We prefer color. Our books tend to feature the characters, or something that happened in the book.

British covers tend to be simpler, less complicated. One British publisher said they tend to keep their characters off the front of their books, since Brits don't care to have another person's image of the character in their head. Another noted that British cover tends to be more stark, yet elegant.

Okay, here's where I'm going to get myself into trouble. Honestly, I like most of the British covers MUCH better than I do the American ones. Now keep in mind, this is coming from someone who regularly tunes into the BBC channel and who often watches BBC news, (and who writes British historicals.) So my preferences may have been swayed.



The covers on the left are U.S covers. The covers on the right are U.K. covers:









































(Check out the article to see more covers with explanations of the differences. For fun, visit www.amazon.uk.co and look up your favorite books. See what they're like across the sea.)

11 comments:

  1. Huh. That's interesting. I think I like the UK ones better too. Interesting how visual we've become. Books covers used to have NO pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even close, Jessica. The Brits are way better. Love the Harry Potter. The American Potter covers are terrible. Didn't hurt the sales any though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys.

    I've added the last two covers, because I think they also do a good job of showing the difference. I will say, that I think the US "The Thirteenth Tale" is better. It shows that the book is gothic. However, I like the British cover for "The Interpretation of Murder" far better.

    I think the reason I like the British covers better is because there's less hype. Busier for me, is not better. I think American's have reached a point where they are so 'screamed at' by marketing that a quiet television commercial, an easy on the eye advertisement, a simple book cover stands a better chance of being taken seriously. It gives the opinion that the book doesn't 'need' hype. Like someone being well dressed instead of flashy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I looked at the pictures before I read the commentary. Comparing USA to Brit covers of "The Kite Runner" and "The Snowflower and the Secret Fan" I thought to myself, "the Brits must like to know what the characters look like."

    So when I read: "One British publisher said they tend to keep their characters off the front of their books, since Brits don't care to have another person's image of the character in their head."

    I chuckled. It's all a matter of perception, isn't it.

    Being a huge fan of "Peace Like a River," I wonder why they chose a "flying duck/goose" instead of the horse that Davy Land rode? Any input on that? It has been 3 years since I read it, so...memory is probably forgetting something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a few, I preferred the American covers but the others I preferred the UK. Interesting subject, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, In Peace ..., they had a couple of hunting scenes. And, the main character talked about it a few times when remembering Davy.

    I still think the horse is better, but I love the color scheme on the Brit cover.

    BTW, Brit or American, these cover artist do a fantastic job. It's a talent of which I am unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to comment here because my book was published in the UK and the illustrator is British. But, the character is on the cover and they did use the entire space (even the back is part of the illustration.) You can view it here:


    I agree that at least with the samples given here, the British covers are better, with the exception of the Thirteen Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird how my link turned out. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dale, for clearing that up. I knew "memory" (not me! ;o)) forgot something and it was the hunting scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I preferred the British covers on all but The Thirteenth Tale and Peace Like a River.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.