Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Author Interview ~ Terry Fowler


Tarheel born and bred, TERRY FOWLER makes her home in Wilmington, North Carolina where she works for the city government. Besides writing, her interests include reading, gardening, genealogical research and serving in her church. She currently has an anthology entitled NORTH CAROLINA in the stores. You can learn more about Terry at www.terryfowler.net

What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

Currently I’m working on the idea I hope will be book three of what I've called my Cornerstone series. All the books are based on members of Cornerstone Community Church and it's been great fun getting to know all these new characters.

Heartsong Presents will publish the first book, Christmas Mommy, later this year and the second, Except for Grace, in 2007.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

My journey took twenty years. My first submission was rejected in October 1978 and Heartsong Presents published my first book in October 1998. I never got the call. A snail mail letter had me crying tears of joy and praising the Lord as I called my family and friends.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

I think any author would have to be incredibly self-confident never to have doubts when it comes to their writing. There are times when what I’ve written strikes me as total garbage and others when I can’t believe I wrote what I’m reading. Then there’s always rejection no matter what the source.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

After accepting Christ as my Savior in 1992, I knew I could no longer write secular romance. I asked God for a market and then one day I opened a packet of advertising cards and found Heartsong Presents.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

I hope the fact that I’ve always been a rule player when it comes to submissions has kept me from making mistakes. I read in the lines and get tip sheets to be sure I stay on track. I haven’t gone the agent route yet so I can’t say about that.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Write. I firmly believe that the only way any writer can get published is to keep writing and get their work to the editors. They can’t buy what they don’t have.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

All advice has its place. What we may consider bad advice at the time can actually become some of the best we’ve ever received if we take time to listen.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I don’t really have any pet peeves. I know giving control of my writing to God helps me maintain a positive attitude.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I’d had access to the internet back when I started writing. I think it’s one of the most valuable assets available to today’s writers. And preparing a manuscript on a computer rather than a typewriter is so much better.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

I suppose the years of rejection were the worst set back I suffered. I got some form letters but I felt blessed when an editor took time to comment in a way that helped me improve. There were times when I threatened to quit but as my sister often told me I could stop breathing easier than I could give up writing.

What are a few of your favorite books?

Dee Henderson’s O’Malley series
Gail Gaymer Martin's The Christmas Kite
Several of my fellow Heartsong Presents authors

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I’m equally proud of every book I’ve written, published or unpublished. So many times unpublished writers think they've not accomplished anything because they wrote a book that wasn't published but in truth the great accomplishment was finishing the book.

Right now, my anthology, North Carolina, is in the stores and it’s been great hearing from friends and readers who have seen it on the shelves.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Every book I write has its own specially chosen scripture that serves as my theme for the book.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I work a full time job Monday through Friday so I write over lunch breaks, in traffic, evenings, weekends, and any other time I find an opportunity.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

The only time I’ve ever set writing goals was recently when I had a short deadline to meet. I wasn’t sure I could write a book that fast but I was able to figure out how many words I needed to write each week and completed the book in plenty of time.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

I’ve always been seat of the pants. I have a tendency to write scenes as they come to me. A snippet of an idea starts to grow and I create. However, Heartsong Presents asks for chapter by chapter breakdowns and I’m finding those are a great tool.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Dee Henderson. Her O’Malley series has been a keeper for me. I enjoyed the way she took this group of characters and made me care about them so much.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

I love writing. That 'what if' seed of an idea takes on a life of its own and we're taken on the ride of our life. When someone asks how did you come up with that? it's hard to explain. The actual business of being a writer – edits and such – is the hard part.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?


Marketing is a weakness for me. I need to focus more attention on getting my work out there. I have a website at present.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

When those rejections arrive, allow yourself a short pity party and then get back to work. Study the market, take advantage of every opportunity to improve your writing, and persevere.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interview. What a wonderful attitude Terry has! Wonderful to hear about a life and writing transformed by God. Encouraging words. I'll take you up on the pity party next time the rejection comes in, but I promise to keep it short:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read more abot you, Terry. Thanks for the interview, Terry and Ane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us all, Terry. Your open honesty is an encouragement. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.