Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, March 10, 2006

It's the end of the world as we know it...

"The Beijing Daily Messenger reports that expression symbols, or "smilies", popularized by instant messaging software, have found their way into many of today's youth-oriented novels. "

Read it here.

Wonder what that looks like. Now, I'm all for modernizing the novel, but when it begins to look like a bunch of IM bound together...

Although, it would be a whole lot easier to say " :) " then to say, "joy sprang within making her dizzy with glee. A hint of a smile touched her lips and she knew from that moment things had changed forever between them".


I've never seen these emoticons show up in a book, has anyone else?

Other news:

Sandra Bullock to star in movie about Peyton Place author, Grace Metalious

6 comments:

  1. I guess I've missed that craze.
    : {

    But you know what they say...
    a picture paints a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the "joy sprang within..." The world keeps getting stranger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a novel a few years ago that took place entirely through email messages--ah, what was the name of it? (Checks google)

    Here it is: E - by Matthew Beaumont. It's a quick read, and mildly amusing, albeit a bit crude, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, and wasn't there one called God Blog or something that was messages from God to teens in the form of IM messages or e-mail messages?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'm a snob, but I personally abhor the apparrent effect IM and chat rooms are having on people, particularly younger people. Everything is lower case, abbreviated, and half the so-called conversation consists of smiley faces and animated emoticons.

    I have to admit, though, that I have fallen into this trap myself on occasion. It's very tempting, because it saves so much time and effort. However, I've been trying to discipline myself to write properly even when IMing friends. Am I making too much out of this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I have no problem at all with short cuts in IMing and email, but in a book...?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.