Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, October 02, 2008

ACFW Conference Insights by Lena Nelson Dooley


I’ve been to all the ACRW/ACFW conferences, even the two regional Texas ones before the first national one in Kansas City. I was at the Denver conference when the name was changed from ACRW to ACFW. I’ve learned a lot of things along the way.

Meeting people you’ve only known online, face-to-face, for the first time is awesome. The fellowship with other people who don’t think I’m weird is energizing. I keep coming back for more.

Editors are just normal people. They want to meet authors just as much as authors want to meet them. Actually, an editor wouldn’t have a job without the writers. Treat them with respect, and honor their need for downtime during the conference.

Agents are also mostly normal people. They want to be your friend as well as your business associate. So take your time and find an agent who clicks with you and what you want to do with your writing career.

It’s okay to miss some of the sessions. You can take time to visit with friends or just have downtime so you can assimilate all you’ve been hearing. And the prayer room is a special place to take a break with God.

Don’t go to conference just looking for what you can get from it. Take notice of those around you who might need encouragement. I’ve had God appointments at many of the conferences. I actually had two in Minneapolis, and I praise God for allowing me to be a part of what He was doing.

Soak up all you can of the worship. There’s something very special about worshiping with your writing friends. Somehow we’re all lifted higher and closer to the purpose to which God called us.

I’ve learned that a lot will be going on I won’t be able to attend. One of the first things I do right after checking in at the registration desk is go to the media recording desk and order the whole conference on MP3. These files come on a CD and can be played in a CD player that also plays MP3s. Most automobile CD players will also do the MP3s.

After I arrived home this week, I bought a Zune 80G MP3 player. It’s the Microsoft equivalent to the IPod. I bought the large one so I load all the conference files I have on it. I’ll continue to add other conferences as I get them. When I went to Walmart shopping today, I chose one of the sessions from the 2007 conference and listened to it while I shopped. I’m going to redeem a lot of lost time using this player.

Here’s my final advice. When you go to a conference, be yourself. Relax and enjoy your appointments—both the scheduled ones and those God planned for you. Love on those around you. Lift them up, and God will lift you up.

Editor's Note: Lena Nelson Dooley is a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and now a great grandmother. She loves her family, and she loves her job--writing novels. Her first book came out in 1992, her second in 2002, and since then she's had 15 book releases. Several of her books have been on the Top Ten Favorite lists of Heartsong Readers. She was also voted a top ten favorite author.
.
Lena is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She's presently vice president of DFW Ready Writers, the local chapter of ACFW. She has also hosted a critique group in her home for over 15 years. Eleven people have become published after joining that group. At least five people were signed by an agent this year, so the list of published authors will soon become longer. Mentoring other authors is a joy of her life. In 2006, she was awarded the Mentor of the Year award by ACFW. She was a nominee again this year.

1 comment:

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.