Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, December 19, 2005

Author Interview: Peggy Darty


Peggy Darty, a member of The Red Hat Society, has published 26 novels, numerous articles and short stories. An award-winning author, her books, A Mountain to Stand Strong and Angel Valley, were CBA best-sellers, along with numerous novellas. She has worked in film, researched for CBS and has been a popular speaker and workshop leader around the country.

Plug time. What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

WHEN THE SANDPIPER CALLS, out now~

Colorado Springs, CO – Christy Castleman, a pretty, young novelist, has made a
name for herself writing books about mystery and intrigue. The Sassy Snowbirds,
a group of lively ladies, spread fun, friendship, and good deeds around the
seaside town of Summer Breeze. Everyone is content in their cozy world.

Until a message tucked into a small Victorian glass bottle washes up on
shore and local realtor Marty McAllister turns up dead.

A contemporary
Southern cozy mystery with a touch of romance, When the Sandpiper Calls
(WaterBrook Press, October 18, 2005) is a fast-paced and inspirational look at
life choices, second chances, and deepening faith.

Using her research
and know-how as a novelist, Christy and the unflappable Sassy Snowbirds succeed
where a team of forensic experts stall. But solving real life crimes is much
more dangerous than writing them, and Christy must fight for her life when she
uncovers a shocking truth and a real murderer.



Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.


My journey to publication began when my children were small; we were living in Colorado and having a very snowy winter, so I began writing magazine articles out of boredom. The articles were accepted and published, and I decided to go to a writers conference where I met an editor from Zondervan who told me about a new line of romantic fiction and invited me to submit something. I sent her an outline and 3 chapters, ended up with a 3 book contract and have been publishing every since. That was in 1985.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?


Of course. After I complete every book, I think this is too much work; I don’t want to do it again. But of course I do because all writers have a passion for writing.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Write what you like to read.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

Wait until inspiration strikes. Most of writing is discipline and hard work, with inspiration coming in spurts. (At least that’s the way it works for me.)

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Decide EXACTLY on the type of book you want to read – don’t try to market to romance if you like mystery, etc. And, most of all, don’t buy into the temptation to write what is popular NOW, for by the time your work is completed, sold, edited and published, that trend may be long gone.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

Always my favorite: I am the Lord God who takes hold of your right hand and says, do not fear, I will help you. Do not be afraid.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

In 1995 my husband had a severe heart attack and open heart surgery. A few months later my mother had a massive stroke and never spoke coherently again, never walked again. I was her caregiver for 4 years until I gave up and put her in a nursing home.


I couldn’t write, I couldn’t think. Physically and emotionally, I was depleted. However, others writers go through trial by fire, and we just do the best we can and wait for the opportunity and desire to write again. After 4 years, I began another book and it was my best.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

I read all of Yvonne Lehman’s books, I like Deb Rainey, Cheryl Hode, and Kristen Heitzman. I like all the other authors too, just too numerous to mention.

If your authorial self was a character from The Wizard of Oz, which one would you be and why?

Dorothy…

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

My latest book, When the Sandpiper Calls, which is a cozy mystery (meaning a soft mystery) I’m proud of the way I tucked the clues in and I hope!! Readers don’t’ guess the villain…or at least not until they have almost finished the book.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

The waiting!

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

I’m a morning person, so I grab my coffee and toast and head downstairs to the computer. I generally get a little business out of the way first, then I’ll write a couple of hours and take a break. Repeat the process. When I’m racing to meet a deadline, I’ve been known to get up at 2 a.m. and work until night (with breaks in-between and a quick nap)

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

Francine Rivers – her thorough research and dedication to her work.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I’d like to do a children’s book that my grandchildren would treasure.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

At least once a year.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part is when the book starts to write itself, when the story and characters come alive. That is so much fun. The least favorite part is the promotion. Now we’re expected to help sell our own books, unlike years ago when we could finish one and start on another. Now we have to get out there and make people aware of our book.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I’ve found a web page to be very helpful, also sending out post cards to my readers to let them know when the next book is coming out.

Parting words?

Good luck and God bless. And don’t give up your dream.

You can check out more about Peggy on www.peggydarty.com










7 comments:

  1. Wow, Peggy, just sent out some stuff and it was snatched right up by publishers, eh? Ha. Sounds just like my story...NOT! Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peggy, for sharing. I loved When the Sandpiper Calls - stayed up almost all night reading the page-turner!

    Peggy gave me the boost I needed at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference this year when she validated me as a writer. I'll always be grateful to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Peggy and Gina! Peggy, I love your scripture verse.
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. As I read your blog, I'm constantly introduced to more Christian authors and I wish there was someway we could know about their books before they hit the shelves. Although I recieve tons of media advisories, and catalogs from some publishers, I'm still out of the loop. Even at Romantic Times(one of the many places I write for) the inspirational fiction section in the mag is scant. Thanks for doing what you're doing.

    Dekkers interview was something else. Couldn't comment last week, but boy did you you receive many comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peggy.

    Once again, a complete different but totally similar journey. I love God's infinite creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.