Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Avoiding the Squints

post by Michelle Griep

You know those websites where there's a black background and white type? After you read them for a few minutes and then look away from the screen, do your eyes go wonky? Because mine do, and I'm wondering if I've got short-circuited eyeballs or if that's a normal opthalmic response.

Either way, it got me to thinking about all the time people spend nowadays staring at screens and how that's probably not too good for our peepers. So, I did a little research and you get to reap the benefits.

5 Ways to Avoid Digital Eye Strain

#1. Brighten things up.
Not the screen, necessarily. I'm talking about the room. Make sure to have a light on while using your computer because it helps reduce the strain.

#2. Position is everything.
Sometimes when I'm looking at Pinterest, I practically smash my nose against the screen to get a really good look at a cute pair of shoes. Naughty, naughty. The ultimate distance between your shnoz and the screen should be around 20-28 inches.

#3. Change your focus.
Every 15 minutes or so, look away from the screen and focus on a distant object. This gives your ol' focusing muscles a bit of a workout.

#4. Bat those eyelashes.
It's a fact that your blink rate decreases as you stare fixated at a screen. Make a conscious effort to blink every 10-15 seconds. This coats the front part of your eye, nourishing the area with oxygen and nutrients and sharpens your vision.

#5. Go to your happy place.
Close your eyes and put the centers of your palms over your eyes. Relax by taking some deep, slow breaths. This one is my personal favorite. Try it. You'll love it.

These are just a few tips. If you're interested in finding out more, check out this article by Dr. Edward Kondrot, founder of The Healing Eye and Wellness Center.



Like what you read? There’s more. WRITER OFF THE LEASH: GROWING IN THE WRITING CRAFT is a kick in the pants for anyone who wants to write but is stymied by fear, doubt, or simply doesn’t know how to take their writing to the next level.


Michelle Griep’s been writing since she first discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. Follow her adventures and find out about upcoming new releases at her blog, Writer Off the Leash, or stop by her website. You can also find her at the usual haunts of FacebookTwitter, or Pinterest.

3 comments:

  1. like yesterday, when i really wanted to take a nap, but friends were coming over, so i sat outside and stared at the trees across the street. yeah, that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I've found that my eyes strain more when the computer screen is the only light in the room. I've done #5 and it really works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Sometimes I swear my eyes are square after proofing my book online or going through it with the "non-printable characters." Or sometimes I'm afraid my tired eyeballs will just fall out and roll across the floor. Thanks, Michelle, for sharing these simple but effective tips to relieve eye strain. It's all part of the writing life.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.