Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Your outpost on Entertainment Mountain

Posted by Marcia Lee Laycock

I'm pleased to introduce you to my friend, Violet Nesdoly. This is her guest post for today.



Probably unlike most of you, I am a reluctant novelist. I did not imagine stories and tell them to my dolls as a kid. My writing genres of choice are articles, blog posts, devotionals, and poetry. Yes, I’ve written and published a few stories but writing fiction has never come easily or naturally to me.

However, there was one story that ate away at my consciousness for years. I finally caved and wrote it as a NaNoWriMo project in November 2009 and published it in 2012. That, I told myself, was going to be it for fiction.

Except that people keep asking, when is your next book coming out? So I started thinking sequel and dreaming and researching... As I got down to work, there was a click of rightness. But there was also a lot of apprehension. Having been through the process once, I know how much work it is to plan and write a novel-length story and that the writing is only the beginning.

I have, in the two years that I’ve been nibbling away at this, often allowed myself interruptions. Then, when it was time to get back to work, I’ve prayed, “Lord, is this really what you want me to do? A novel is, after all, just entertainment. Couldn’t you give me something less frivolous and more important to write?”

I was praying like that again a few days into the new year when I was back at my desk facing my binder of research notes, looking through my Scrivener file of character summaries, and reviewing my stapled sheets of plot ideas. As before, I got no other answer but “You have your assignment. Now get busy.”

A few days later I was praying the day’s Scripture prayers from A Watchman’s Guide to Praying God’s Promises. In the guide author Dick Eastman emphasizes the importance of prayer for our society and its influencers. He names seven main ones that he calls “Mountains of Influence”: Religion, Family & Marriage, Education, Business, Government, Media, and Arts and Entertainment (including Sports). The seventh day of each month is devoted to prayer for Arts and Entertainment with Scripture verses and suggested prayers.

On January 7th, then, I found myself reading and praying this: “Lord, you are the creator of all things, and you have made us in your image so that we are creative like you. Today I pray that your Spirit would fill and inspire the arts and entertainment industries so that the things we create and celebrate would reflect your beauty and purity. Let creativity lead the world back to you the creator...”

And then I heard some strong words:

Violet, entertainment is a huge influence, a mountain of influence in your society. Do not trivialize this work I give you. It is not frivolous or unimportant. Instead of praying for a different job, pray that you would do this one well; that your words would be light on the path to Me in the realm of entertainment. 



I love reading novels. I have the utmost respect for many of you whose books I’ve read and perhaps even reviewed. If there’s a purpose for my halting tales, there is so much more for yours. So be encouraged today that your entertaining creations are not trivial or frivolous but important and potentially influential outposts of the Kingdom of God on our society’s mountain of Arts and Entertainment.
********

Violet Nesdoly is a freelance writer and author who lives near Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Her biblical fiction Destiny’s Hands was a finalist in the historical fiction category of the 2013 The Word Awards. Visit her online
.

8 comments:

  1. Violet, your story touched me. God told me much the same thing. Be faithful with what He gives us to do. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so very in line with much i'm hearing today!!! i share with you a tiny bit from an upcoming post i wrote:

    "And in this season, when I ask Him what he requires of me, He says, “write.” Doesn’t “feel like” work, doesn’t feel like battle, and it certainly doesn’t feel like Kingdom purpose. But that’s exactly what it is. It’s what He has purposed and planned for me to do."

    thank you for putting entertainment into perspective, for we ourselves are not frivolous or expendable in the Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a long time to realize it was the deceiver whispering that what I wrote for Him was trivial because it was entertainment. Your post is a great reminder of the true value of anything done well for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, we always need to remember Jesus used story (parables) to reach hearts. He knows the power of story. He knows people let down their guard when they think they're being entertained. Then, when they least expect it, our words reach out, touch hearts, and change lives. That's what we fiction authors been called to do. Be true to your call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just what I needed to read this morning. I've been facing doubts about continuing writing novels and praying for guidance. Just before clicking on Novel Rocket's e-mail just now, I had the thought that maybe there would be something here to answer my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Violet, for your timely reminder that what God has called us to do is not trivial. Such an encouragement on this winter Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Violet, for this timely message. What you wrote has touched my heart and given a renewed perspectve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for these comments. It's reassuring to find out I'm not the only one who needs to hear that writing entertainment is no throwaway job! God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.