Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Flashforward

Anita Mellott homeschools and blogs“Words of Encouragement and Hope” at From the Mango Tree: http://amellott.wordpress.com/.

A global black-out of 2 minutes, 17 seconds offers people a glimpse of their futures. Those who didn’t have a flashforward assume they have no future. ABC’s recently-axed series, "Flashforward," follows federal agents as they unravel the mystery of who caused the black-out and why.


That every decision has multiple alternatives, each of which sets off its own train of events, much like falling dominoes, fascinated me. As I’ve watched the main characters pursue or avoid their futures, the magnitude of the hope that Christ brings overwhelmed me. “And this hope does not disappoint” (Romans 5:5). It’s “an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” (Hebrews 6:19).

The One who spoke the world into being, yet fashioned me holds my future. So I echo the Psalmist’s words in awestruck humility, “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! (Psalms 139:16-17)

Though His path seldom avoids the storms, a rainbow fills the sky at the end. For every night of weeping, “joy comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5). Even when I walk through the darkest valley, He will be with me. His rod and staff will comfort me (Psalm 23:4). No matter where He leads, His peace, which transcends all understanding, will guard my heart and my mind (Philippians 4:7).

When doubts toy with my mind—“Did I make the right decision? Is this what He’s led me to do?”--His promise brings peace, “…in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:6).

]Faith can take the upper hand because He who has promised is faithful.

During the times I stumble and get ahead of His timing, He who is rich in mercy hears my cry and redeems me. “How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you” (Isaiah 30:19). I can rest in Him because He knows best. “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).


Anita Mellott
Blog: From the Mango Tree:http://amellott.wordpress.com/

5 comments:

  1. Anita, I love your post. My dh and I have loved watching this show and it has sparked many conversations about God and how He works in our lives through the choices we make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, I needed this re-assurance this morning. We are in a transition period from one church leadership to another. I hurt on one hand, and in another way, I rejoice. Your choice of Scriptures lifted me to re-assurance.
    Thank you and I pray God's blessing on you forever.

    In Jesus' love,
    Lucy N. Adams www.52hymns.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the encouragement.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, JoJo and Kelly.
    Lucy, may the Lord heal the ache and bring peace.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this word Anita. It hit home!

    Nora
    The Book Club Network
    www.bookfun.org

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.