Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sunday Devotion- Writing Elf-Style

Janet Rubin

I've spend much of this week in Middle Earth, listening for a second time to The Fellowship of the Ring, first book in Tolkien's Rings Series. I've taken on a cleaning job at my church part-time, a job that helps keep gas in my mini-van and pays for things like college text books. It's no small task cleaning my church; I'm responsible for what feels like acres of vaccuuming, cleaning bathrooms, dusting offices, disinfecting nursery toys, washing out communion trays... More than one person has suggested that I'm some sort of saint for taking it on. It's true that I now have vaccuum-calluses on my right hand (to go along with my fingertip keyboard-calluses), and I suppose I'll go on letting people think I'm some sort of selfless martyr...

But they don't know my secret.

I know that you, my literary soul-mates, who understand the lengths one will go to for time in a fictional world, will know what I mean when I tell you it's pure joy for me to head up to church, not because I love wiping up unmentionable splatters in the restroom marked, "Brethren," but because I've always got a friend with me. Someone like Tolkien, who speaks to me through headphones, taking me far away from thoughts of goldfish crackers mashed into carpet by toddler feet and into another world. Yes, people, I get paid hourly to listen to adiobooks and burn a few calories while dwelling in the house of the Lord. Really, I'm thrilled.

This morning, I weaved up and down the rows of chairs in the sanctuary walking the vaccuum like a dog named Hoover. Dragging its cord-leash behind, it sniffed hungrily at crumbs of dirt left from Sunday, then devoured them. I followed, listening as the voice in my earphones described the departure of Frodo the hobbit and his company from Lorien, the home of elves with whom they've just spent some time. The gracious elves have provided the company with boats and provisions for the dangerous journey ahead. They've also made cloaks for each member of the party. The cloaks are obviously special, made of some strange fabric and color. Sam, who is intrigued by elves and magic asks, "Are these magic cloaks?" The elf presenting the cloaks replies, "I do not know what you mean by that...They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean. Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lorien that we love; for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make." (Tolkien, 1954)

That last part- "we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make"- stuck in my head and I had to go home and look it up in my hardcopy of the book. For, over the last few chapters, I had grown to love the land of Lorien, a place of beauty where no evil could dwell. I could imagine how lovely a cloak fashioned with the very substance of this place would be. And it made me think of all the articles and quotes I've read about writing as a Christian- how we don't need to preach our message, but simply write our stories. Because if we have a heart full of love for God and His kingdom, our worldview will flood onto our pages, and hopefully, things like grace and love and redemption will shine through in our work. The elves put the thought of all they loved into all that they made. Do we work with the ever-present thought of the One we love? Perhaps, just perhaps, if we do, there will be something- dare I say- magical about what we create. Something a bit more than plot and charactors and dialogue.

Lord, my mind strays often and far from thoughts of You and all the beauty and glory of all that You are and all that You've done for me. Thank You for reminding me that You are the magical element that can't be found in any how-to book on writing. Help me to skillfully and faithfully put thoughts of You into all that I make. Amen.

10 comments:

  1. Loverly, Janet.

    I, too, clean while listening to epic fiction. I've scrubbed floors to 1000 pages of Tolstoy this Spring. What a wonderful age we live in for double-tasking! Always plenty of work, and always plenty of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A meditation worthy of the loveliness of Lorien*

    After FOTR came out, I passed a note (I confess, in church) to a friend that said, "I've given up my seat on the Jedi Council to become a Lothlorien elf."

    Johnnie
    (who is currently re-reading Unfinished Tales)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Janet. Indeed, let's put the thought of Who we love into all we make and do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post.

    Since I've started carrying a book with me wherever I go, I never stress over waiting for a family member or in line. I've visited some exotic places while in a drive-up lanes and in front of high school buildings.

    The quote is perfect and inspiring.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you girls. I just KNEW there would be people who understood! Johnnie, I love your note-passing story; sounds like a good call! Heaven might be something like Lorien, don't you think?

    Me too, Kelly. If I accidentally go out without a book, I practically have a panic attack! Hey, there are worse addictions.

    Lady, N, I think maybe I got the idea from you. I remembered your Tolstoy story:) It's a lovely way to pass time; isn't it? All of the story, none of the guilt (such as one would have if they spent the whole day on the couch reading.)

    Hi Joanna. I'm trying. Naturally, I'll fail much of the time, but it's a good goal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I like to work on character development and new poems while I am doing my laundry and cleaning my kitchen. I loved your post. Yes, I am thankful for someone to clean the church. This frees us up on Sundays to focus on praising Jesus and enjoying each other.

    Have an extra cup o'joy
    and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet! I clean my church, too. What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing this great way to pass the time as i clean, instead of thinking about the pain in my leg with every step...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, G!

    Jennifer! That's great. We should start a web site for church-cleaning writers:) (is there a novel idea in there? hmmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,

    I bet we're in a minority...Let's start an unofficial poll right now.

    If you are a church-cleaning writer, please let us know. How do you pass the time?

    How I spend my time cleaning the church depends on the day and my mood. A third of the time I listen to praise music while I clean. Another third I pray and talk to God. The remainder is up for grabs, depending on the day...who shows up and what I "find"...then I talk to myself...LOL...talk about character development and story ideas!!)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.