Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Interview with Christine Pisera Naman

Christine Pisera Naman is the author of Caterpillar Kisses and Faces of Hope. She has written for several magazines and is a frequent contributor to the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. She lives in Monroeville, Pennsylvania.




Tell us about Christmas Lights. What started the idea to write it?


The women around me inspired me to write Christmas Lights, mostly my mom and my girl friends. In most families, it’s us women who make Christmas happen. And often that’s not easy.


We have to put ourselves aside and make it happen for our husbands, kids and everyone else. And sometimes that is more difficult than at other times because it often involves putting aside the aches in our own hearts and putting everyone else first. And women do that everyday.

Also, I only asked my dad for writing advice once and he said “Write something Christmas”.


Tell us about your journey to publication. How long did it take before your novel was published?

I’ve been writing since childhood. I’ve had more rejection letters than I can count. I write with a pen and 99 cent notebook. I address my own envelopes and lick my own stamps. That’s not to say that I haven’t had a lot of help, because I have. My writing life has been blessed with many angels. But I have had success on my own. So, when I am blessed with help, I take it and am grateful for it but if I find myself on my own, I keep trying. You can have success the old fashioned way.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?


Simple. Keep trying. There are a lot of different ways to have success.

What is the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?


That there is only one way to have success- that you have to be serious and treat it like a job. That is good I’m sure but you can write as a hobby too.

What are a few of your favorite books?


I recently read “Good Grief” by Lolly Winston. I just recently lost my father (the love of my life) and it really spoke to me.

I loved “One More Day” by Mitch Albom.


What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

I think Christmas Lights is my best work. I’m a better writer than I was before. I took more chances with my writing in this book.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?


I don’t have a typical writing life. I am a full time wife and mom so honestly, I do more of that than I do writing. But maybe twice a week, I sneak off somewhere for just a little while and write just a little, even if it’s only a page. That is how I have written all of my books, just a few words at a time.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I love how Mary Higgins Clark can grab you from the first paragraph and have you guessing and interested until the last page.


Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I want to publish more books of course, good books with a good message that just might touch and help someone even if it is just to know that their thoughts and feelings are shared.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Least favorite part- writing is difficult most times, at least for me anyway, sometimes it flows, but mostly it’s hard work. It’s also, hard to not know if you will ever get another chance to publish a book.

My favorite part of being a writer of course, would be when it all comes together, when you have the finished product and you are proud of it.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

This isn’t an area that I know much about so I could never give any advice but I know how important it is so I am working on learning more.

Parting words?

Write like you talk. Write about what moves you. Pour your heart out. If you make yourself laugh and cry your writing will move someone else too. Thanks for taking a peek at Christmas Lights. I hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this interview. I always say I love them all, but I really, really liked this one because Christine's answers make it sound so very possible to be a writer-- a published writer-- without following every little bit of advice out there (you must write so many words each day, you must market market market, etc.) I'm a wife, mom, home school teacher and college student. Christine is proof that doesn't mean I can't squeeze in book-writing! And enjoy it. Thanks ladies! Christmas Lights sounds neat too. This mom/wife job is a self-sacrificing business sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much to be said for writing for yourself as well as for your reader. "Write about what moves you" resonated with me as much as anything else in the interview. I know that I will re-visit this interview more than a few times to glean its' treasures. Thanks for an insightful and yet practical post:).

    Joy,
    Lynne Hasuly

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.