Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Welcome Guest Blogger ~ Rachel Hauck



Rachel Hauck is a multi-published author living in sunny central Florida with her husband, Tony, a pastor. They have two ornery pets. She is a graduate of Ohio State University and a huge Buckeyes football fan. Rachel serves the writing community as Past President of American Christian Fiction Writers and a member of the Advisory Board. Visit her blog and web site


Leave a comment on her blog about Diva NashVegas or write a review on Amazon, and be eligible to win a $25 gift certificate to Starbucks or Barns & Noble. Two names will be drawn.

First of all, thanks to Novel Journey for letting me stop by today! It’s an honor.

Second of all, let’s talk my next Thomas Nelson release, Diva NashVegas, which releases May 8. If you’re surfing the web that day, and just happen to be in the mood for a good book, hop on over to Amazon and buy Diva.

This time last year, I’d started writing Diva NashVegas. My husband and I took a fast trip up to Nashville to view it from a superstar’s point of view, then I came home to write.

One of my deliberations was over making Aubrey James a wanna-be or an established superstar. I decided on a superstar to give the story a different perspective.

Then, I had the idea to make her the daughter of Gospel Music pioneers who were killed when Aubrey was a teen. From there, the complications and drama grew.

My fabulous editor, Ami McConnell, suggested adding a male point of view. So, we get to see Scott Vaughn’s side of things. He is the television anchor doing an exclusive interview with Aubrey. He adds a unique perspective and a lot of humor.

I worked on the novel through May and into June, then decided mid-June to go back to the beginning, work on edits and rewrites, before creating the ending and making my July 31 deadline.

One of my biggest struggles with this story was how to format the interview portion. Crazy, I know, but it was such a struggle. During my on going research, I came across a book called, “Conversations with Tom Petty.” The book was written in interview style with the interviewers question in italics and Tom Petty’s answer noted with his initials, TP. You never saw a happier writer that day than me.

But my favorite part of writing Diva NashVegas was God’s kiss on my heart. I only had four months to write the book and I’d never written anything worth publishing in such a short amount of time.

One morning during prayer at my church, I read Isaiah
41:13 and the Lord quickened it to my heart.

"For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand,
Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.'

Instantly, I knew the Lord would help me. About half way through writing, I dropped my head to the table and say, “Lord, I thought you said you were going to help me.”

He said, “What makes you think I’m not?”

I burst out laughing. “Because it’s hard.”

No matter what you’re writing, remember the Lord is with you. He’s for you. If you dream, how much more He dreams for you. Don’t let difficult days or set backs discourage you long. Get back to writing, or pursuing the dream He’s given you.

Other fun things about writing Diva NashVegas: I saw a book about Barbara Streisand with quotes from actors, producers, singers, people who’d worked with her. I decided to add similar quotes in Diva NashVegas to add depth to Aubrey’s character through the eyes of “others.” And, I avoided adding scenes or alternate point of view characters.

By visiting a lot of country superstar’s web sites, I noticed every site had an artist bio and a list of their music, so I added those elements to the story.

Then I had the bright idea to add liner notes
(acknowledgements) for Aubrey along with my own. She thanks people in the book for adding to her life. I had great fun with those ideas.

Remember to think outside the box when writing. Don’t be afraid to add little elements like newspaper headlines or emails that might help move the story along without having to add another POV character.
Sophie Kinsella does it well in her Shopaholic books.

When I turned the book into my editor, I wrote, “I love this character, Aubrey James. She became so real to me in the end, feeling like a friend.”

A few weeks later Ami emailed me with the exact same sentiments. Scott and Aubrey are worth spending time with.

Here’s a quick blurb:

For a decade, Aubrey James has ruled the charts as the queen of country soul. She rocketed to fame in the shadow of her parent’s death – Gospel Music pioneers.

While her public life, high profile romances and fights with Music Row writes juicy tabloid headlines, the real and private Aubrey’s is a media mystery.
When a close friend and former band member betrays Aubrey’s trust and sells an exclusive story to a tabloid, the super star knows she must go public with her own story.

Inside NashVegas sports anchor, Scott Vaughn, is not prepared for the summer assignment of interviewing a country diva. Especially not one he dated, then abandoned. But he has no choice. His career and the future of Inside NashVegas depends on the success of this interview.

Aubrey's private world is rocked when Scott shows up at her home for the first session. Realizing it’s too late to back out of the deal, Aubrey bravely opens her heart to Scott and discovers a future beyond the lonely orphan girl. Will she find faith, hope and love?


“Ladies and Gentlemen, Aubrey James, the Queen of Country Soul ..."

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rachel. I can't wait to read Diva - I adored the first two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Ami McConnell THE BEST? Lucky you. Congrats on this new one. Thank you so much for the verse and the encouragement --- Missing Sunny Central Florida; but happy to be in the 'burbs of NashVegas, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for the research trivia. I love hearing this stuff, what you did to research your novel, things you came across, etc. So interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I've read Diva and I really loved Aubrey, your skill in writing made me feel like she was actually a real person, her struggles, secrets, and loves felt real and not contrived. I plan to re-read it again very soon.

    Can't wait for your next ook.

    Sharon Hayes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview - now I'm intrigued about what you've done with your novel. I saw your first book, Lost in NashVegas, in Blessings the other day, but was dashing in and out. I'll have to go back!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.