Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Author Interview ~ Debby Giusti




Always busy with church, school and community activities, when Debby Giusti and her family moved to Atlanta, GA, she knew it was time to settle down and write her first book. Despite occasional moments of wanderlust, she spends most of her time writing inspirational romantic suspense for Steeple Hill. Debby has written magazine articles for Southern Lady, Woman’s World, Our Sunday Visitor, Army and Family. She serves on the editorial advisory board of ADVANCE for Administrators of the Laboratory, and stories about her family’s outreach are featured in CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE VOLUNTEER’S SOUL and CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE CHRISTIAN SOUL 2.

What new book or project do you have coming out?

Thanks for inviting me to chat on Novel Journey. Your site is phenomenal, and I’m a frequent visitor. Keep up the great work.

Nowhere to Hide, my debut inspirational romantic suspense from Steeple Hill, was an April release so I’ve spent the last month traveling around Georgia and Alabama telling folks about my book. That’s been fun! Whenever I talk to readers, I always remind them that they’re the reason I write.

My second novel, Scared to Death, will be out in August. Book three—MIA: Missing in Atlanta—will be released in March 2008.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

Inspiration for Nowhere to Hide hit one day shortly after my family and I moved into a new home that had a security alarm. Inadvertently, one of us tripped the silent alarm that alerts the police department of a problem. When I looked out the window and saw two police officers running toward my house, hands on their guns, I knew I had a great opening for my book.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I’m a medical technologist and started writing for medical magazines, then added some ladies’ publications as I increased my freelancing. Eventually, I turned to writing full-length fiction. Steeple Hill Senior Editor Krista Stroever called me on August 3, 2005, and said she wanted to offer me a contract for Nowhere to Hide. Luckily Krista prompted me to write down everything she said because, when I got off the phone, I was in shock and couldn’t remember anything except she wanted to publish my book.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

My problem is more writer’s procrastination! I can always find something around the house that needs to be done instead of sitting at the computer, especially at the beginning of a story when I’m trying to get that first draft written. Now, I use my Alpha Smart--a keyboard with a small screen—for the first draft. It forces me to push forward to the end. Then I enter the text into my computer and start rewriting, which is my favorite part of the process.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your writing journey), i.e. plot, POV, characterization, etc?

Hmmm? I’d have to say characterization. At first I created perfect characters who had no flaws and were very dull people. Now I like to pile on the problems and see how the hero and heroine work their way out of the mess.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I’m lucky to have an office, but since I’m an extrovert, I sometimes tire of being alone. That’s when I grab my laptop and head to the local Starbucks. Being surrounded by a coffeehouse full of people makes the work much more fun.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I should have a page count, but I don’t. Right now, I just spend a good portion of each day at the computer. Eventually the book gets done.

What does a typical day look like for you?

I usually write from mid-morning to late afternoon when it’s time to start dinner. In the evening, I’ll return to the computer to check my emails or do marketing work.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

There’s a line I love from Art & Fear, by David Bayles and Ted Orland: Those who succeed have learned how not to quit. That says it all. Believe in yourself and your work and keep moving forward. Eventually your dream will come true!

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Oh, there’s so much I wish I’d known earlier. But perhaps one of the most important gems of truth came from Stephanie Bond, a wonderful writer and fellow member of Georgia Romance Writers. She always tells new GRW folks to remember that writing is a business and the book is their product. Had I taken her words to heart earlier I would have realized all those rejections weren’t personal. The editors weren’t rejecting Debby Giusti--they were rejecting my product that needed more work.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

Since Nowhere to Hide is my debut book, I’ve put a lot of emphasis on getting to know readers by speaking at writers groups and community events. I’m not sure if that has led to more sales, but I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to meet so many interesting people. I also like to make up goodies bags with an excerpt from my book, a bookmark and some chocolate. That way folks get a “taste” of what my story is about.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Often writers hit a plateau before they make their first sale. Seems they’re doing everything right, but their manuscripts are still rejected. Unfortunately, that’s when many folks stop writing, which is a shame because hitting the plateau means they’re so close. My advice? Consider making a slight shift in style or technique. Often that can move a story from rejection to sale.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Debby, for sharing your journey with our readers. Great advice about never quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your debut book. I know just what you mean about the writer procrastination. Boy am I guilty of that. I love your parting words of advice. I think they'll help some folks hang on a little longer. Thanks so much for being with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ane and Gina,
    I just got back from a wonderful trip visiting my son and daughter-in-law. We had a great time and toured spots where my hubby and I met and married. I had never been back so it was fun to see how things had changed. I also picked up a few new ideas for future books! Thanks again for having me on your blog! Keep up the great work you're doing. NovelJourney is fantastic!
    Debby

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.