Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, August 28, 2006

Author Interview ~ Ramona Cecil

Ramona K. Cecil is a wife, mother, grandmother, free-lance poet, and inspirational romance writer. Now empty-nesters, she and her husband of thirty-three years make their home in Seymour, Indiana. Although she’s been published in poetry for over two decades, Larkspur is her debut novel. When not writing, her hobbies include reading, gardening, and visiting places of historical interest. You can visit her at www.ramonakcecil.com






What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?


I’d like to tell you about my inspirational historical prairie romance, Larkspur, which will be coming out this November, 30th by Vintage Romance Publishing. The story, set in 1835 in a small, Indiana farming community I named Larkspur, was inspired by Conner Prairie, a living history museum near Indianapolis, Indiana. A young woman who’s lost all confidence in the medical elite of the time, practices and preaches Dr. Samuel Thomson’s botanical approach to healing. She has vowed, with God’s help, to save people from the harsh practitioners of conventional medicine. That vow becomes more resolute as well as more difficult to keep when a young doctor arrives fresh from the university and prepares to set up a medical practice in Larkspur.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.


I have been writing poetry as far back as I can remember. Truly, I remember asking my mother to write down my poems because I hadn’t yet, learned to write. I’ve always been an avid reader. Story ideas were always running through my mind, but I’d stuck to my poetry and hadn’t pursued any of the stories. About twenty-three years ago, I decided I’d try to write a book. I love history, especially Indiana history. One of my favorite places to visit has always been Conner Prairie. Their perpetual year is 1836. On one of my visits there, the idea of Larkspur was planted in my brain. I had no notion how to write a book, so I just started with that grain of an idea and began pounding away at my electric typewriter. I did hours and hours of research (still knowing nothing about the craft of writing). To help with my research, I bought a wonderful, vintage Indiana history book, Historic Indiana by Julia Henderson Levering published in 1910. It is still one of my treasures and a resource I could not do without.

While helping my husband raise our two daughters and working different jobs outside the home, I set the manuscript aside. In the mid 1980’s, I began selling my Christian poetry to a publisher of inspirational gift items. Over the years, I’ve sold over eighty verses to them. I get a kick out of finding my poems on internet sites from time to time.

In 1999 I got a computer and decided to dust off my old manuscript of Larkspur. I rewrote it, and then began writing other stories; two contemporary novellas, another historical romance novel, and a historical novella. At this point, my only education in how to write came from reading inspirational romances and Penelope Stokes’ book, Writing & Selling the Christian Novel. In 2002 I entered Larkspur in the Northeast Indiana Romance Author’s Opening Gambit contest. It placed third and I was both elated and encouraged. About that same time, I found (actually, God led me to) American Christian Romance Writers (now American Christian Fiction Writers) and I joined the group. I wouldn’t be getting published now if it hadn’t been for that decision. I have learned so much from so many wonderful, generous, Christian writers.

I joined a great critique group, began taking online writing courses, and actually began seriously learning the craft. I submitted Larkspur to a publishing house and it was rejected. I wasn’t happy about it at the time, but now I realize it was another stone—okay, a rough stone—in my road to publication.

Last year, an ACFW member posted a notice about Vintage Romance Publishing’s Vintage Inspirations Contest for inspirational stories. Using some of the advice I’d received along with the rejection, I reworked Larkspur and sent it in. Here, I have to thank two wonderful writers, critique partners, and great friends, Staci Wilder and Kim Sawyer for setting aside their own work to critique the story for me. I never imagined I would win. I simply considered it an opportunity for Vintage Romance Publishing to see a sample of my work.

When I learned I was one of three finalists, I was bowled over! I remember going to the Vintage Romance Publishing web site and just sitting and staring at the computer screen. I could hardly believe I was reading my name and the name of my story. So you can imagine how amazed I was a few weeks later, when I received the call from Vintage Romance Publishing’s chief editor telling me I’d won! I was standing when I took the call and had to immediately sit down. I knew part of first place prize was a contract with Vintage Romance Publishing. At long last, I was going to be published! I just couldn’t get my mind around it. She was telling me what to expect but I was in such shock most of it didn’t register. Fortunately, she e-mailed me later with the same information.

Tell us about Vintage Romance Publishing.

Vintage Romance Publishing is a small, but rapidly growing publishing house based in Goose Creek South Carolina. They publish only historical fiction, which is one of the things that drew me to them. They publish both secular and inspirational romance. Visit them at www.vrpublishing.com

Are there benefits to working with a small press? (If so, what?)

I love the friendly, intimate feel. It’s like working with a group of friends, which is exactly what it is. Right from the start, I felt truly welcomed. The entire group of editors and writers are super-supportive and helpful. I’ve already learned so much about the publishing and marketing process.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

All the time. There always seems to be that little insidious whisper in my ear saying, “Why do you think you can do this?” I don’t know how many times I’ve petitioned God saying, “If I’m not supposed to do this, please let me know.” After each of these petitions, He has always sent an encouragement. I just try to ignore the negative thoughts and remind myself that this work is for God. If He didn’t want me to be at this place, at this time in my writing life, I wouldn’t be here. I do think self-doubt is good in some ways. It keeps pushing me to strive to do better work. I keep the verse from Ephesians 3:20 beside my computer. “Glory be to God, who by His mighty power at work within us is able to do far more than we would ever dare ask or even dream of. . .”

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

I once paid to submit Larkspur to a publication that periodically sends blurbs of stories to publishers. There are several of these floating around. For me, anyway, it was a waste of money.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

To remember that this is about God, not about me. The most important thing is the journey, not the destination. As difficult as it is sometimes, this is the work God has given me to do. A second piece of advice was to keep working, never quit learning your craft, and never, never, never give up!

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

That’s a tough one. I have been immersed in such wonderful writing advice since I joined ACFW, it’s hard to remember back to when I might have heard a piece of bad advice. Because I’d reworked this story so many times, someone once told me to give up on it. I’m glad I didn’t take that advice.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

I wish I had found ACFW sooner. A writer needs support—at least I do. I don’t see how anyone can do this alone. Find a good writers’ support group, get into a good critique group, and take advantage of all the free advice and writing courses offered by groups like ACFW. It is a well-spring of invaluable writing information, freely and lovingly shared.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

I suppose it would have to have been the rejection of Larkspur. But despite all the tears I cried at the time, I don’t see it as a negative now. The story was not ready to be published at that time. I learned so much from that experience, and the great advice I got helped me to make Larkspur a much better story.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

I’ve read so many great ones it’s hard to pin down. As a young person in Indiana, I loved all the Gene Stratton Porter books. Laddie was my favorite. Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter D. Edmonds is another book that springs to mind. Lately, Francine Rivers’ Redeeming Love; Louise Gouge’s Ahab’s Legacy series; anything by Lauraine Snelling, Janette Oke, and two of my critique partners, Kim Sawyer, and Staci Wilder. Truly, besides thoroughly enjoying their writing, just reading their work has helped improve my own writing by leaps and bounds.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

I like a poem I wrote called “If” for a Christian. It was published by Dicksons, Inc. and is written in the same style as Rudyard Kippling’s poem,“If.” I feel I did a credible job of capturing the style of Kippling’s original poem, while giving my poem a Christian bent. Also, I’m always most in love with my current work-in-progress. Right now, it’s a piece of romantic women’s fiction entitled, The Heritage. It takes place in my county in Indiana in 1812. I think the conflicts in this story are particularly compelling.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I suppose it would be writing query letters. I’m not sure how good I am at it, and it’s so important that an author present their work in an attention-grabbing and compelling way.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

My husband works a late shift, so we are both night owls. I usually get up around 10:00 in the morning and turn on my computer and check e-mails and blogs. I don’t really get down to writing business until after my husband leaves for work at 4:30 PM. Between then and 2:00 AM, I work on writing, editing, research, critiques—whatever happens to be on the docket for the evening. I like to spend at least four hours just writing new material.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I wish I could write as fast as Kim Sawyer and with such breath-taking attention to details.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I would like all the stories I’ve written—and will write in the future—to be published. But that is up to God. Mostly, I would just like to feel I’ve used the talents and opportunities God has given me in a way that most pleases Him.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

At least once or twice a month. I think how much easier it might be to simply do a nine-to-five job. But I love writing too much. The stories won’t let me be and God keeps dragging me back to the computer screen. It’s like a comment made by a character in one of my short stories. “I’m not looking for easy. I’m looking for worthwhile.”

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part is the writing and the research. I love both. I even enjoy the rewrites. I’m not as fond of writing a synopsis.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I plan to do huge amounts of marketing. I’ve put together a web site—something I never thought I’d be able to do. Aside from some hair-pulling moments, I find myself actually enjoying the work, and am planning some promotional contests on my site. I had postcards made with the cover of my book on one side and a blurb about the book and my contact information on the other. I never leave home without at least a half-dozen of these cards. I have given them to both friends and total strangers, and have received very positive responses. I’ve even been approached by the district manager of the merchandising company that stocks our Wal-Mart with inspirational books. I might have an opportunity to do a book signing, there. Already, I’ve been promised book signings at my church and local library.


Besides sending out multiple press notices about my book’s release, I will be visiting bookstores with a gift basket containing my book and other goodies. I plan to approach Christian radio stations and let them know I’m available for interviews. I love talking about my work, so I’ll be making myself available to speak to various church groups and possibly, historical societies. I’m presently working toward securing a book signing appointment at Conner Prairie. My advice concerning marketing would be to never pass up an opportunity to market your book.

Parting words?

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to talk about Larkspur and the writing journey God has set me upon. I truly feel humbled and blessed that He has chosen me for this work. With His help, I can do all things, but without Him, I can do nothing. I pray that God will continue to bless my work and use it as a true ministry for Him. I leave you with John 15:16. “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”


9 comments:

  1. Ramona, my dear, I think I am as excited about this book coming to fruition as you are! I'm soooo proud of you--and I can't wait to hold that newborn in my trembling hands! Love you, lady. ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ramona, from fellow Vintage Romance author, Diane Wylie.

    What a great interview! Congratulations on your upcoming release.

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona,

    Congratulations. I'm from Indiana too (Evansville) and I grew up going to Conner's Prarie.

    I wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ramona. And thank you for the good ideas on how to market your book. I enjoyed this interview very much.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona,
    I'm so excited for you -- your enthusiasm for your stories is evident each time we get together. May God bless this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann:
    I detect a fellow Hoosier. I hope you will check out Larkspur. I think you will really like it.


    Kim:
    Thank you, dear lady! Your help and encouragement has been invaluable as I continue on this writing journey.

    Brandt:
    Thanks! For a historical romance author, Conner Prairie is indeed, fertile fields of inspiration.

    Diane:
    Thanks! I'm really excited about the release of Larkspur November 30th.

    Erica:
    Thank you so much! I'm glad my comments were helpful.

    Cara:
    Thank you. I appreciate you encouragement and prayers.

    ~Ramona Cecil~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hours! I could do that, but my crit partners wouldnt' let me. Gina or Jessica would call me at 8 A.M. with a question. :op

    What I really love is your It's-all-about-God approach. Once I learned that, it was like being set free!

    Please put me on your influencer lsit for an ARC to review for Novel Reviews, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story. Every road to publication is so different. Congratulations. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great comments, Ramona, and I loved how you captured the bumpy journey to publish Larkspur. We can all relate! ~Suzanne Woods Fisher

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.