Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Author Interview ~ Candice Speare

Candice lives in Maryland with her husband, Brad, and Winston, the African Grey parrot (who is really in charge). She has one daughter, a sailor in the U.S. Navy. With three books scheduled for release in 2007, Candice stays busy writing. In addition, she works part-time as a freelance content editor. She also volunteers one or two days a week at the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office Police Academy where she uses her secretarial skills to help the staff, as well as participating in recruit training scenarios. Candice hopes that as people are entertained by her fiction, they will also catch a glimpse of God’s love for people, and His desire for people to grow and be whole.


What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

The Trish Cunningham Mystery series, published by Heartsong Presents: Mysteries, Barbour’s new cozy mystery line. The first book, Murder in the Milk Case, is due out in January, 2007. The second book in the series, called Band Room Bash, is due out in June 2007.

Check out
www.candicemillerspeare.com where you’ll find more details about the series, all the usual author stuff, and my blog.


Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I’ve been seriously writing for seven years, but my journey started way before that. In the early nineties, while I home schooled my daughter, I took writing courses by mail through what was then called Christian Writer’s Institute. I wrote several books, which will never, ever see the light of day, but nothing came to fruition.

In 1999, I met some other inspirational writers via the internet. We began an online critique group. I started to participate in online chats and workshops. During that time, I heard about the formation of a new group called ACRW (now ACFW).

In 2000, my husband and I moved to Dallas, Texas so he could finish his pastoral degree. I joined ACRW. Soon after our move, I was invited by two ACRW authors to join a critique group. Despite rejections and disappointments, from that point on, I felt as if I was in a forward motion that I couldn’t stop even if I tried.

When we moved back to Maryland, I signed with an agent. Every time I thought about not pursuing publication, something happened to encourage me. Writing to be published was something I couldn’t escape.

The fact that Murder in the Milk Case was my first book sale is an irony in the truest sense of the word. In December 2004, a secular author took an interest in the book. This author wanted me to polish the manuscript and said if she loved it as much as she thought she would, she would open doors for my agent to contact her editor at Berkley Prime Crime.

Boy, that seemed like a dream come true. I finished the book, but I wasn’t comfortable. I wasn’t sure I wanted to change my focus from inspirational to secular fiction. Caveat here: Please understand that I have no problem with authors who do. I just wasn’t sure that was the direction I should take.

So, I prayed. One minute, I thought I should go one way; the next, I thought I should do the other. Then I got my answer the way God usually talks to me—with peace and clarity at five in the morning. (I always ask God why I can’t get my clarity of mind at, say, ten at night. I think it’s because the only time my brain is really still is when I first wake up.)

No, I didn’t hear a thundering voice coming through the bedroom ceiling or see a burning bathrobe and words etched upon my closet doors. I just woke with the realization that I’d spent six years building contacts in the CBA. I was familiar with the market and the editors. I had built relationships with CBA authors and fellow writers. To move over to the ABA meant starting over. Did I really want to give up years of hard work?

Well, duh. How practical was that? But, then, we do serve a practical God. However, lest you think everything was rose petals and chocolate dipped strawberries after that, it wasn’t. I continued to receive rejections. For Murder in the Milk Case, as well. I second-guessed myself many times. Hey, I’m human.

Then, almost a year to the month that I made the decision, my agent emailed me. Barbour wanted to see Murder in the Milk Case in whole. But I had to cut 50,000 words from the manuscript. Could I do that? Yes. Of course. Sure. Easy. Just cut out like three or four subplots. Yep. Give me three weeks. I did it, but it wasn’t easy.

We submitted it, and I waited, but not too long. I got the offer the Monday before Christmas. What a Christmas present that was! My husband woke me up that morning with a call from my agent. I was so sleepy, I kept wondering if it was all a dream. He grinned from ear to ear. The rest of my family was ecstatic. I think my mother and sister called everyone they knew within a few days. My good writing buddies were doing happy dances.

But here’s the weird part. I thought that when I finally got a contract, I would feel different. That somehow my confidence level would immediately increase, and I would feel like a real author. I might even feel like I knew more things. That didn’t happen. If anything, I initially felt less confident. Almost overwhelmed. Like I was naked on a stage and everyone was staring at me.

That feeling has passed and reality has set in, but still, when I’m asked to do things like this interview, I think, what? You want to interview me? You’re joking, right? Yes, I’m an author, but I’ve realized that I know even less than I thought I did. One book doesn’t guarantee anything. And the pressure has shifted. My focus is no longer finding an editor who believes in me. Now I need to make sure each book is better than the last. I need to learn to market myself. And I need to look ahead and plan where I want to go next.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Everyday. Sometimes I sit at my computer and think, who am I? I don’t have a fancy degree, exciting resume, or an electrifying career that will impress everyone so much they’ll be knocking down my door to ask me to write books. I envy those who are doctors, cops, FBI agents, or something else really cool. I’m just a housewife whose career was secretarial and administrative work. That’s about as exciting as watching grass grow. But then God reminds me that He is the one in charge. I only need to be obedient.

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

Not many, really, because I’ve had good advice. Any mistakes were due to inexperience. Looking back, there’s little that I could have done differently given the circumstances and what I knew at the time.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Study, learn, and join the right critique group. Join writing organizations. Take classes. Be teachable. Be appreciative for help. Don’t talk badly about people—editors or fellow authors. Keep your word. Meet your deadlines. The world of publishing isn’t that big and a good reputation is a terrible thing to lose.

Remember that Christian fiction is a business, not a ministry. Don’t expect editors to be like pastors. Editors and publishing committees make decisions based on the facts—what’s good for their publishing house. An author might have written the best story since the Chronicles of Narnia, but if it won’t work for the house, the editor won’t buy the book.

Bottom line? Publishing is a moneymaking business. Even in the Christian market. If they don’t make money, they don’t have jobs.

And the last, very best piece of advice I’ve heard: Writing is work. To be successful you must write and not just when you feel “inspired.” Once you’re published, writing is a job. If you don’t meet a deadline because you didn’t feel like writing, your editor won’t understand—and won’t buy another book from you. If you treat writing as a job early on, you’re ahead of the game. Just write. Often the feeling and inspiration come after you begin.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

That I should quit my critique group because the members wrote inspirational romance. The person telling me that said that Christian romance is degrading and insulting to women. Instead, I should find some literary writers to hang around with. The foolishness of that advice speaks for itself. I won’t dignify it with further comment.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

That I should develop my closest writing relationships with dependable, encouraging, stable people—those who will be there to lean against in the good times and the bad times. The life of an author is just too hard without adding the stress of constant close contact with people whose responses and behavior are erratic.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?
My life’s theme: James 3:2-18, Galatians 5:22-23, and 1 Corinthians 13. (Or, the fruit of the Spirit.)


I’ve been a Christian for thirty years. For much of that time, I served in leadership positions at church. I’ve seen a lot of good in people, but I’ve also seen a lot of bad. The bad boils down to one simple thing: A lack of the fruit of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Really, it’s simply the nature of Christ. As we grow in the Spirit, we become more like Him, and then begin to exhibit His characteristics. That is my life’s goal.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

Yes. Two years ago, I received the worst rejection of my life. It went beyond professional and into personal. I took three months to recover from that. I was positive that everyone must feel about me the way that editor felt, and I was doomed to failure. I was wrong, but a rejection of that magnitude is very difficult to get over.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

I don’t think I can answer that question. My favorite author is usually the one I’m reading at the present time. I read so many books I can’t possibly make a list. I read suspense and mystery almost exclusively, both ABA and CBA. If I begin to name titles and authors, I will fill one whole blog.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

Since I don’t have a whole bunch of published books behind me, I don’t have much to look back on. Right now, each book that I complete is something of which I’m proud. And each book I finish is better than the last one I wrote. I’m always striving to become a better writer.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Oh, my, yes. I can’t turn my mind off. I think about writing all the time. Perhaps it’s my fault or just a personality trait. But because so much of what I do is inside my head, it’s hard to stop thinking. That kind of intensity can lead to burn out.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

My husband says I’m terribly disciplined/hyper-focused—sometimes too much so. Unless I’m working outside the home at my volunteer job, I get up in the morning, eat my breakfast, then go to work. I take a lunch break then go back to work. Late afternoon, I exercise, make dinner, and afterwards do other writing related activities like critiques and working on my website. Then I go to bed and get up the next day and start over.

And I’d like to add something here. I firmly believe that we are stewards of our bodies. Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way--I got discouraged at a certain point in my life, then I got depressed and fat. That exacerbated health issues I already had. Over the last three years, I’ve been regaining the ground I lost and losing the pounds I gained (fifty pounds down and counting). If I don’t take care of me, everything in my life will be impacted negatively, including my writing. A quality diet and a good mix of exercise (aerobic, strength building, and stretches) is an essential part of my writing life. It clears my mind and strengthens my body for those inevitable writing marathons.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

How can I answer that? I have to think about those of CBA published authors I know the best. And I can’t pick just one. How about the acceptance and love of Chris Lynxwiler. The discipline and graciousness of DiAnn Mills. The open arms of Lena Dooley. Wanda Dyson’s passion for God. Lisa Harris’s missionary heart. The commonsense and encouragement of Susan Downs. And that doesn’t even begin to include all the other people who have been kind to me and willing to answer the questions of a neophyte.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

This is hard to answer because a dream for me is sort of nebulous. Something that may or not come to fruition. I don’t like to work toward something that I’m not sure is possible. I guess you could say I’m reality based and practical (which can sometimes be a real pain). I separate my dreams from my goals, which are solid and attainable by making a plan and taking definite steps toward them.

Let me give you a for instance. I could say that my dream is to become a top selling CBA mystery author whose books feature prominently on the shelves of stores. That’s not something I can take concrete steps to make happen because there are too many variables. However, I can have a realistic goal that could lead to the possible fulfillment of that dream—like, I will write the best stories I can and give my readers a great reading experience so they want to buy my next book. Then I will market my books for maximum exposure.

So, I guess in answer to what I think is your intent in the original question, I want to continue writing suspense and mystery for the Christian market. I’d like to publish suspense that appeals to a broad spectrum of people, as well as my fun, tongue-in-cheek mysteries. I want each book to be better than the last. (And seeing a book of mine prominently displayed for sale on a shelf in a store would be pretty cool.)

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I laughed when I read this question. The short answer is, absolutely. The long answer is I wanted to quit trying to be published. I don’t think I could ever stop writing. That’s just who I am and how I express myself the best. I even enjoy writing emails. But the last two years were especially difficult. I was always so close yet so far.
Receiving requests from editors for full manuscripts then the ultimate (albeit mostly nice) rejections. However, each time I was ready to shoot my computer and say I’d had enough, God brought someone or something into my life to encourage me to continue.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The following, all of which are both good and bad:
I’m in charge. Good because I don’t have anyone telling me how I have to structure my time or my career. Bad because my career depends so much on me. I’m the creative, production, and marketing departments all wrapped up in one. Sometimes I wish for someone to tell me what to do and an inbox filled with chores that I don’t have to think up myself.

I don’t punch a time clock. Nobody tells me when to start or when to stop. Like, hey! You’ve been working for ten hours! Your eyes are bloodshot. You can’t see. You aren’t thinking anymore. It’s time to stop!

I’m alone a lot (except for the animals), and I live in my head. I’m an introvert, so being alone isn’t a chore most of the time, but sometimes I wish that I had somebody in a cubicle next to me at whom I could lob paper wads.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

Since I’m only newly contracted, I’m just learning about marketing, but I can see that it’s essential. I recently took a class on marketing and learned that what an author should do depends upon personality, the types of books he/she writes, and the publisher for which he/she writes.

For instance, I’m writing for a book club, so my concentration will be building a relationship with my readers, paying particular attention to my website, blog, and other forms of interaction with them. Word of mouth is important—starting with mine. I talk about my books everywhere--the doctor’s office, my volunteer job, my hairdresser.

I’ve already contacted everyone I know in all the places I’ve ever lived to discuss publicity for my work. Network, network, network. I’m building a marketing plan for the future. Having a vision is a good thing.

In addition, I’m a co-founder of
Keep Me In Suspense, a website and blog for the authors and readers of CBA suspense.

What do you think about the argument that CBA writing is substandard compared to ABA books?

For a time, I felt that the CBA was substandard to the ABA. But things are changing very quickly now. In fact, I recently examined how many ABA books I stopped reading after the second chapter. Then I did the same for CBA books. I’d say the two are equal. There are as many great/good/okay/bad books in the ABA as there are in the CBA. And the CBA is only getting better. However, I’d like to see more suspense and mystery in the CBA.

Parting words?

Very few other occupations offer so much opportunity for rejection and criticism. The old platitude, if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, definitely applies to writing.

If you fold under a hard critique from a good friend, finally getting published will be difficult, as well. Editors often want changes, and they don’t like to work with someone who argues with them. Even harder, at some point, someone out there will make it their business to let you know they don’t like you, and/or they don’t like your work. We might write for the inspirational market, but like I said above, this is a business, and sometimes it’s cutthroat.

A calling and gift for writing makes room for itself—in God’s timing. Whether or not someone is called and gifted to write is something only they can determine. Some people are simply not meant to do what they’re trying to do—whether that’s writing or some other occupation. Some are meant to do what they’re doing, but aren’t willing to work hard or be flexible and learn, so they either aren’t successful, or aren’t as successful as they could be. They flounder, or get hurt, letting life happen to them, not sticking with commitments. They never finish anything.

I believe the world is full of a lot of very talented, unpublished writers. Some of those people are more talented than the ones whose books are published. The difference between them is tenacity, a willingness to be taught, and a burning desire to succeed that can’t be quenched.

27 comments:

  1. Candice, thank you for such a thorough interview. You really took time and thought and I got a lot out of this. Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Gina and Candice. I meet Jennifer Peterson form Heartsong at the Phila conference. she is so excited about the books they produce, and this series is a good example of why she is so enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I appreciated the opportunity for an interview. The challenge of answering your questions a great way to put my thoughts about my career in focus. Plus, it was just plain cool to be interviewed on Novel Journey. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I was at the Philly conference too, and I met Jennifer Peterson there, as well. I'm proud that my first books are being published by Barbour/Heartsong, and I'm very, very excited about this new cozy mystery line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice! This is an exceptional interview. Really made me think. I'm proud of you! Gina, thank you for giving us this forum. It's one of my favorite places to visit! Thanks again to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm blown away by this interview. Thanks, Candice, for your candidness, and thanks, Gina, for bringing it to us.

    Wow, wow, wow!

    I wish you the best, Candice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to say thanks for your kind words about our work here at NJ. A little edification goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've given two pieces of excellent advice that will stick with me: God is a practical God, so don't be surprised if He confirms practicalities. :o)

    And the other one is sometimes the feeling and inspiration come after you begin writing.

    That really spoke to me. I've found it to be true, but sometimes I forget if I don't feel like writing at that moment. Thank you so much, Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine, thanks for coming by. As always, you make me feel good by saying nice things to me. I like it when people say nice things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Candice! I knew you had it in you. . .I'm just tickled that Gina pulled it out. :-) You are wise and witty and insightful--a great combination for a mystery writer. You and your cozies make a great addition to the HP: Mysteries! lineup.

    So glad to know you and call you friend!
    Susan Downs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristy, thank you so much for stopping by to visit and taking the time to read my interview. I enjoyed doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Christian romance is degrading and insulting to women."

    This is almost hysterically funny, Candace. When you think of how often secular fiction is degrading and insulting to women, reducing everything to sex.
    Great interview. I'm writing a Spyglass Lane mystery, too. Is the name Spyglass? Or Heartsong Presents Mysteries. I've heard both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview, Candice! :) Thanks for sharing more of the rest of the story. I'm excited to see what's happened in your writing life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina, thanks for the probing questions, and Candice, kudos for the insightful answers!

    I had emailed with Candice before, but had the privelege of meeting and spending some time with her (in our pj's) one night after the GPCWC. She is just as sincere and thoughtful in person as she is online. I thank God for sending Candice and others into my life to encourage me in my writing and to keep my focus on Him. Keep writing, and I can't wait to read that first book! rose mccauley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Candy, I loved the interview. As you know, I've loved you and your writing for many years, and I greatly rejoice in your present success.

    By the way, thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ane, thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you liked my interview. I’m learning about that inspiration thing the hard way. For some reason, I’ve had zero inspiration the last two months. At first, I was scared to pieces and thought that I’d never make my deadline. But each day I write, despite feeling nothing. And every morning, when I reread the words I’ve written the day before, they aren't bad. I thought back to all the jobs I’d held in the past and how I worked despite whether or not I felt like being there. Writing is the same. It’s my job. Pretty cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan! My favorite editor! And good buddy! Susan is an awesome person to work with. She's organized and encouraging. I couldn't have asked for a better person to be my very first official editor. I'm learning bunches from her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie Dearyan, my sweet new friend. Thank you for reading the interview and making a comment. Yes, I do like to see other writers succeed. I've been blessed with so many people who have helped me along the way, from other writers to cops. I want to do the same, if possible. Now, Julie, you get to work on that story idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, the official name of the book club is Heartsong Presents: Mysteries. Spyglass is our fun name. And yes, I thought the comment about degradation and insults was funny, too. At first, I was terribly upset about the comment because it came from someone I looked up to. Or did. Then I had a long chat with Lena Dooley. She helped straighten me out. Aren't we lucky to have so many wonderful authors out there to help us along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, you are an author!!! And I'm so thankful to have journied along side of you through parts of it! Wow, so much has happened since our weekly drives to Lena's crit group! Lots of great memories! God is good!

    Lisa

    http://myblogintheheartofafrica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynette! THanks for coming by. Looking forward to seeing you again in Dallas! It's been tooooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew I had a friend the moment Lena Dooley opened her front door and pulled me into her arms. That was my very first "in person" critique group meeting. I had felt like throwing up the whole way to her house because I was so nervous--until I met her. Lena is the ultimate writing mentor. She does it all from critiquing to being there with a shoulder to cry on to believing in people. She's always ready with a kind word.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rose! You know you've met a great new friend when you can sit in your pajamas and yak with her for two hours and not worry that she thinks your legs look fat in your pj's.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sandra, Yes, neighbor, we should lob paper wads. You just gotta watch out for the spitballs. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, Candice, were we like separated at birth? Reading this interview felt as though you had crawled up inside my head and took notes. I knew you were a kindred spirit.

    Congrats on your first of MANY interviews, lady.

    Thank you for all you've done for this struggling writer.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gina, thanks for the interview opportunity. I enjoyed the visit with old and new friends. You are doing an awesome job here at Novel Journey. Blessings on you!!! Candice

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Candice. You're a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.