Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, May 15, 2006

Author Interview~Nancy Jo Jenkins

Nancy Jo Jenkins is a native Texan. She and her husband have five adult children and eight grandchildren. She taught school for twenty-one years and loves to spend time with her grandchildren. She also likes to travel cross-country with her husband in their RV, and attend writing conferences where she visits with longtime friends and makes new ones. She enjoys reading fiction, being with family and friends, and watching movies. She also likes to play the piano and compose music. Coldwater Revival is Nancy Jo's first novel.

What book or project is coming out?

My women's/historical fiction - Coldwater Revival - set in Texas in the 1920s was released this month, May, 2006. It is a tale of shattering loss, desperate grief, and the Falin family's amazing journey to restoration. It is lyrically written from the viewpoint of Emma Grace Falin, a young lady who lives through the devastation of guilt and shame, yet gains victory in her long, painful struggle for forgiveness. My book has a very satisfying conclusion.

Tell us about your journey to publication.

I had been writing seriously for about four years when I got the call about two contracts. During those four years, I spent as much time as I could attending conferences, workshops, retreats, etc., in order to learn the craft of writing. In 2004, at Mt. Hermon, RiverOak's acquisition editor, Jeff Dunn, and literary agent Steve Laube, both read my proposal for Coldwater Revival. After I returned from the conference I received calls from both men, asking me to submit all I had written, which at the time was 109 pages. From there, both gentlemen offered me a contract. At the time, I was too excited to think straight, and I'm afraid I was pretty gibberish during our phone conversations. But what really went through my head was, "Thank you, Father. Thank you, thank you.........."

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

DAILY. I am literally afraid to begin writing some days because I think I just can't do it. And I can't - not on my own. I have to pray fervently, and ask God for the courage to write the story he placed on my heart. I know it is not talent that writes my stories. It is the gift God gave me. He alone knows how much I rely on him when I write.

What was the worst mistake you made in your journey to publication?

One of my worst mistakes was worrying about what "would sell" and what wouldn't. Also, trying to go with the mainstream, writing what editors, agents and publishers say to write, and worrying that I'm not writing they way they tell us to write. Worrying too much, and not having enough faith gets me into MORE trouble.

What's the best advice you received?

The best advice I've heard is to write the story that's on your heart. I distinctly remember Colleen Coble telling us that at last year's ACFW conference. I had heard that advice many times before, but it really sank in last year. It gave me great relief, because Coldwater Revival is truly a story from my heart.

What's the worst piece of advice you got?

That's a difficult question to answer because I've only attended wonderful conferences and reputable workshops, and have received great, life-changing advice and information. The worst advice probably came from myself when I thought I had to write a specific way, and not venture "outside the box".

What's something you wish you'd known earlier?

I wish I'd realized and truly believed what I now know is true: Envy and jealousy of another writer's accomplishments is a pure waste of energy and TIME, of which there is so little. Now I admire and respect others' accomplishments and rewards, knowing that God will give me what he knows is best for me. I'm making this victory sound easier than it is. I still struggle at times, but am now at the place where I rejoice with my brothers/sisters' accomplishments because all of us are called to "Feed God's Sheep".

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been of special inspiration?

Yes, indeed. I speak this scripture over and over during the day. I say it as a pray. "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Psalms 86:ll-13. It is a constant reminder to me that I want to walk God's way; not my own.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you had?

There have been a few "setbacks", such as receiving a poor evaluation on my manuscript in a contest I entered. And a critique that had me wondering if I should write, or not. And for a brief period, I had to undergo some medical tests (which all turned out wonderful). But, in all, writing has been a forward walk for me. I just hope I can get faster at my writing.

What are a few of your favorite books?

All of Francine Rivers' books; "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (Smith); Lavyrle Spencer's books; "Peace Like A River" (Enger); Deb Raney's "After the Rains"; Judith McNaught's "Paradise" and "Perfect"; "The Outsider" (P. Williamson), and so many more that I love with absolute passion, but don't have the space to name.

What piece of writing have you done that you are particularly proud of?

Coldwater Revival, I am proud of a children's book I wrote called "Grandmother of the Sea", and a picture book entitled, "Are You Afraid?"

Do you have a pet peeve about this business?

I wish that authors had more time to write, and could leave the marketing and promoting to someone else. But, despite that desire, I have made SO MANY new friends as I've ventured into the marketing end of our business. I wouldn't trade those friendships for anything.

Can you give us a typical day in your writing life?

I'm an insomniac, so I get to bed quite late, and sleep until around 7:30-8:00. Then I spend time with God, eat, tend to chores and finally begin writing about 10:00 am. I try to write until 5:00 in the afternoon, and sometimes write in the evenings. But my mind is usually "mush" by then. Then there are the days when appointments, etc., keep me from writing at all.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, who would that be?

I would choose to have the heart of Deb Raney, the energy of DiAnn Mills, the perseverance of Lauraine Snelling, the sparkle of Brandilyn Collins, the smile of Cindy Woodsmall, the speed of Tracey Bateman, and the love of all of my ACFW family members.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing career?

I'd love to write ONE book a year - and get it PUBLISHED: Grow as a child of God: Fulfill all of His purposes for my writing and my life.

Was there ever a time in your writing career that you felt like quitting?

Yes, hasn't every one? But those times are short-lived, and usually followed by renewed determination to write the next page, or the next story.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice about that?

I'm just beginning to market my first book, so I'm still learning what to do and how to do it. I'm not ready to hand out advice yet, but will gladly share it when the time comes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure all of us who entered the ACFW Genesis contest and have now received our scores will be very inspired by your story and the fact that you received "poor marks" in a contest you entered.

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Jo, babe, you know how thrilled I am for you. And I know how much you deserve it. I remember your writing from--what was it, two or three years ago now in a critique session we had together at the ACFW conference. I told you then how good your writing was, and that you were on your way. So I'm not a bit surprised at your success. You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure enjoyed the interview. Nancy Jo inspires me to keep trusting God for the courage to write. DAILY. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration to us all, Nancy Jo. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for talking with us Nancy Jo! That was great advice and inspiration. Love the title, btw!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.