Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, February 24, 2006

Looking back

I thought we'd take the day off from interviews and reflect.

I've done close to a hundred interviews in less than a year, counting the many yet to air. It's hard to believe!

The amount I've learned has surprised me. I feel so amazingly blessed to be able to pick the brains of fiction's brightest and then to share it with you all.

Each interviewee has taught me something. A few interviews stand out, (the telephone interviewees have an unfair advantage), though I appreciate them all for different reasons.

Interviewing Ted Dekker was a definite highlight. I mean, c'mon, it's Ted Dekker. I think I still have "Theodore Dekker" on my caller id. (I'll never wash that phone again.)

The funnest interview hands down was Robert Whitlow. The man is just so easy going and funny.

My favorite email interview was Athol Dickson. I'm a fan for life even without reading his books. (Though I intend to in the coming weeks).

Our most informative interview, in my opinion, is an upcoming one with Jack Cavanaugh. He taught me so much and seemed to hold back nothing. Again, I'm a fan for life now.

(He has a new release out next month, Storm, and it is AWESOME. If you've read Safely Home, that is what I'd compare it to in regards to the great story, charecterization and take away message. I was entertained, convicted and inspired! Gushety gushey gush.) I can't wait to share that interview with you and book review.

Of course Bill Myers and Karen Kingsbury were great to talk shop with also.

Some of the newcomers were great fun too because of their zest for the business and freshness they brought to the table. And any day I can interrogate author friends like Alton Gansky, Don Brown, Deb Raney, Gail Martin, BJ Hoff, TL Hines, Ron & Janet Benrey (etc.) is a good day.

Another highlight was an interview I just finished via telephone with Walter Wangerin Jr.--National Book Award winner. (The Book of the Dun Cow). This guy is legendary. I felt in awe listening to him speak with great passion about Christian fiction.

I hope I keep that kind of fire. Speaking of Mr. Wangerin--he has been recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of Cancer. I asked how we might pray for him and his request was for peace.

Will you take a moment right now and send that prayer up to our Father on our brother's behalf?

I'd love to hear which interviews stand out to you. What take aways (to quote Kelly Klepfer) you've received and if there are questions you wish I'd ask these authors that I haven't been.

I appreciate you all stopping by, leaving comments, encouraging me and authors who have taken time out of their lives to encourage us.

Stay tuned, some of our best is yet to come.

17 comments:

  1. You have done an awesome job bringing us closer to our favorite authors, experiencing the professional writing life and so much more. I've enjoyed all the interviews so far.

    Dekker stands out for me.

    Will be praying for Mr. Wangerin. He is an awesom treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina,

    I started reading Novel Journey because I wanted to support you.

    Now - I'm sucked in - because I always get something from this blog.

    Some days the take-away is encouragement, others offer a shot of adrenaline, or a laugh, maybe a tear or two. Conviction - yeah - been there - felt that.

    You are doing an excellent job.
    Thank you. The work you put into this site is huge - and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, Athol Dickson's interview had me stoked! One question I'd like to ask -- or some derivative of it -- is authors' takes on the Art vs. Gospel debate: Is the first job of the Christian writer to articulate the Gospel or refine their craft? Must we always inject conversion scenes, scripture references, biblical imagery into our work? Can it be "christian" without it? I'd also like to ask the veterans of writing (like Wangerin), about changes in the industry; how have we got from Tolkien to, well, today? Furthermore, (okay, it's my last question) I'd love to hear authors respond to questions about the lack of literary works in the CBA and how they address the accusation that Christian writing lacks the quality to compete.

    Blessings to you, Gina. God has given you a wonderful ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Gina. Thanks for all the wonderful interviews. I've learned/gleaned a lot as I've read. I think your questions hit the nail on the head. Also, I'm thrilled for your about your agent results.

    As far as what's the takeaway of your interviews, for me it's hearing the various journeys of the authors. The paths they've been on have been so interesting and unique and informative. I've often said it's easier to become a brain surgeon than a published CBA author because to become a brain surgeon, you know the exact course of action to follow. In this great, big, wonderful, puzzling, thrilling, disappointing, harrowing, exciting industry we're in, there are so many journeys (hey, what an apropos name for your blog!), it's mind-blogging (intentional misspelling).

    Thanks again, Gina, for bringing all of these authors right in front of us so we can learn and grow in our pursuit and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I think this is the best blog in blogdom. I really mean that. It's always fresh and interesting, hosted by a humble lady who doesn't take all the space to spotlight herself. We love oyu, Gina!

    That said, I usually find the most recent interview is the one that makes a huge impression. They're all so good, the roads traveled are different, so each is unique. I've come away encouraged by every one of them.

    But if I must choose something that rang throughout all of them, it's the theme: Don't give up.

    Followed by: Write the story God gave you the best you can.

    Caboosed by: Hone your craft as a novleist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Sniffle.
    Mike, I did ask Mr. Wangerin about the questions you mentioned and knowing you, you'll love his response. From experience, most authors don't feel they are the people to ask about the direction of the CBA or other author's messages. Ted Dekker did have a strong opinion, as does Mr. Wanegrin.

    I appreciate the comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I love the interviews with the authors I've read. Reading how diverse each of their journeys to publications were, gave me hope. (I just finished my own first novel)

    I had once incorrectly assumed that there was a standard cookie cutter profile of published authors. A profile that left me out in the cold. But, now I feel that I have a chance. A difficult road to travel, sure. But, one that, if I have the talent, I can traverse.

    Great blog Gina. Thanks for making me feel a little less lonely in my own first novel journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gina, I am entraced by the depth that you draw out of authors that you interview. Keep up the good work.

    This is one of the most informative Christian blogs on the web!

    Favorite author interviews...hmmm...Alton Gansky, Randy Ingermanson, Ted Dekker, of course...I could go on, but the list stretches back to last year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, you bring a rich quality and authentification to CBA fiction with your site. God is amazing in how he is moving in this realm. Thank you for being obedient to the call he put on you to do this. I know it's a lot of work. Thank you for your time, your energy and your devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know what a wonderful resourse this place is for up-and-coming wannabes like me! I love gleaning wisdom from these authors' experience. The interviews are informative, entertaining and (thank God) encouraging. You are doing an awesome job Gina. I'm very glad to know you:)

    Janet Rubin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know you too and am encouraged by your comments today ones you leave for the interviewees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm coming in late to this (was away), but I wanted to echo everyone above and thank you, Gina, for all your hard work. You've learned a ton I'm sure, but you've been generous enough to share it with us. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks CJ. Your ongoing encouragement has been an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gina, thank you for stopping by my blog, and it looks like you have a wonderful site here!

    Just wanted to say hello! =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your interview with that TL Hines guy. I'm really looking forward to his book this summer.

    Oh, okay. The Athol Dickson interview was a great one. I've also enjoyed a lot of the interaction in the comment sections--nice to see folks reading, thinking, and debating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL (TL)

    Gina, darlin', you know you rock. I can't believe it's been that many interviews. Wow. Double-WOW with Ghirardelli hot fudge sauce dripping off...er, sorry. I'm still on my diet.

    Keep up the good work! And post more personal reflective posts like this. Author interviews are great but I'd like to hear more from YOU, sista.

    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Camy and um, person who is pretending to be TL Hines by pretending not to be him.

    Camy, I'll try and post personal updates a little more frequently though the calendar fills up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.