Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Favorite Lines

I read with pen in hand. I'm sure many of you do that also. I used to write down tag lines, action beats and descriptions. I still do...some. Mostly I just bother when I find a really delicious line. One wonderful sentence can almost save an other wise cruddy book. Almost. I love words well written!

Ok, so I already mentioned the other day when I posted the review for The Town That Forgot How to Breathe, I have a new favorite line. I'll repeat myself...

"Low fat milk was disgusting. Low fat anything was an outright pox on the creamy white epidermis of pleasure."

I think I may have squealed a bit when I read that, and then I scribbled it down and shared it with whomever happened to be around me that day and the next. I quickly found that not everyone appreciates a good line like I do, or agrees on what a good line sounds like.

Nothing makes me happier than when I write a line in my wip (work in progress) that I think is exceptional and then I put it through my crit group and they make comments like "nice!" or "I wish'd I thought of that one."


I wonder if any of you have great lines you'd like to share, either in your own wip or in something you've read.

If so, please share!

(BTW, we've got an AWESOME line up of interviews. Quite a few telephone interviews to mix things up from our usual questions and some really big names. I won't be surprised if Stephen King's publicist tries to arrange something too. All right, maybe I'll be a little surprised.)

7 comments:

  1. Noel, this is your question. You must have a collection that's the size of a Harry Potter novel by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I racked my brain for good ones today, and had some trouble. I'm reading Plaguemaker by Tim Downs, and one character had a gaze that could freeze a computer. That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great one, CJ! I guess this was a tough question. It was only easy for me 'cause I had one on hand.

    Tim Downs. I want to interview him. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I remembered another one. This is from Alton Gansky's,, The Incumbent...

    "I smiled, trying to picture gentle Dr. Jerry Thomas fighting off attackers with his rectal thermometers of death."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Only you would think of this one, Gina, you nurse you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Kelly, I've got quotes, but most aren't prose. This line caught my eye a few months ago:

    "The many-branched lightening stood for an instant on the horizan like a tree on fire." ~Elizabeth Enright, Thimble Summer

    Noel

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.