Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Author Interview ~ Stephen Bly


Stephen Bly has authored over 95 books. THE LONG TRAIL HOME, won the prestigious Christy Award. Three other books, PICTURE ROCK, THE OUTLAW'S TWIN SISTER, & LAST OF THE TEXAS CAMP, were Christy Award finalists. He speaks at colleges, churches, camps and conferences across the U.S. and Canada. He is the pastor of Winchester Community Church, and serves as mayor of Winchester, Idaho








Plug time. What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

Gina, The Mustang Breaker is the 2nd in a series called Horse Dreams. It's a contemporary fiction series about a middle-aged, Indiana schoolteacher, Develyn Worrel, who comes out west during the summer to escape some incredible personal pressures. She finds forgiveness, love, and purpose in a little dirt road town in central Wyoming. I love the story because it's so real. This isn't a 'what if' story . . . but there are many people in Develyn's same struggles.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I've got to tell you that this is about book number 100 for me. So, I suppose my excitement is different than a first time author. Not less excitement . . . just different.

I had been writing numerous articles and short stories since 1976 when my wife, Janet, took a nonfiction book proposal of mine, at her insistence, to Mt. Hermon writers conference in 1980. Two different editors expressed interest. One of them, from Moody Press, called me several months later to announce they'd accepted it. We had been warned so often about how difficult it was to get a book contract that we could hardly believe it.

That first book, Radical Discipleship, was released in 1981. After a half dozen other books for adults, kids and teens by Moody and Cook, my first western novel, The Land Tamers, was published by Tyndale in 1987. This came about from an editor contact at Mt. Hermon. But she told me later they wouldn't be doing any more fiction after this came out. I had lots more western fiction ideas, but tabled them.

But soon after, Frank Peretti's book, This Present Darkness, exploded on the Christian fiction scene. One day, I picked up the book and noticed that Crossway Books was his publisher, so I got the idea to send them two western series proposals, one for kids and one for adults. At first, they told me they'd try one book and see how it would go. Then, months later, we received the news that they accepted both series: I got eleven contracts at one time in the mail! Don't get any better than that.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Always. If a writer ever loses the push to excel . . . the need to be better . . . the drive to greatness . . . then, indeed, he is merely a hack writer. I think my books get better each year and with each series. I'm always pushing myself.


What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

First: Always make your reader laugh . . . and make them cry. Second: if your story drags . . . shoot someone. Of course, that's from the perspective of the western genre, but the principle works for others too.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

Everyone has a book in them. Some people are born plumbers. They are the ones with the big fancy houses on the hill. But not everyone can write.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Get a 'mutual consent' clause about covers and titles from day one.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

Matt 23:11-12 "The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

I want to continue to learn what it means to be a writer who is also a servant.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

I just finished six months of hard work on a collaboration with some extremely famous people. The publishers, editors, agents and one of the collaborators liked the book . . . the other famous collaborator turned it down. So, in a way it was 6 tough months for nothing. But I don't consider it a complete set back. I did what the Lord wanted me to do at that time. It was my next thing to do. He is in charge of results. I have no regrets, no complaints.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze - William Saroyan
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Mosquitoes - William Faulkner

If your authorial self was a character from The Wizard of Oz, which one would you be and why?

Dorothy . . . I spend most of my life in a fictional world. It's sometimes difficult to separate from reality. I explain a lot of that in my novel,
Paperback Writer.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

All 100 books because I feel so privileged and grateful that each one found its way into a publishing house. However, I really love Paperback Writer because it's quirky and Publisher's Weekly loved it too.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

People who want to write a book, but have nothing to say.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

Up before 4 am . . . jog, answer email and write 8 to 12 hours, except when the washing machine overflows.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I'd like to be as subtle . . . and yet powerful . . . with the Christian message as C.S. Lewis . . . but who doesn't?

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I would enjoy seeing one of my novels made into a movie that the Lord would be proud of.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I've only been writing 38 years . . . so I've never thought about it yet. Never.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The favorite part are the letters and emails from readers who have allowed my stories to touch and change their lives.

Least favorite? Having to write back cover copy and publicity blurbs for people who don't take the time to read my work.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

Nope, not really. We don't do anything fancy, just plug along the old fashioned way, one reader at a time, by selling books at speaking gigs, giving away freebies and more recently, through our website,
www.blybooks.com We also emphasize the personal touch--letters back to everyone who contacts us, usually handwritten. We've made a simple, but comfortable full-time income that way.

Parting words?

Write from your heart, as well as your mind.











6 comments:

  1. Great interview.

    I love your six-shooter style of info delivery (sorry if I mangled some western lingo).

    Your advice to shoot someone made me laugh out loud. I can't imagine your congregation and constituents would be thrilled with that policy, though.

    Thanks for your time and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say Paperback Writer was a very fun book! As a fellow writer, it made me feel much more normal. Thanks, Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That part about the gun ... gotta remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a man who wears more hats that just writer, I'm impressed at how many books you must write each year. Do you ever sleep? Thanks for the interesting interview. I, too, liked the advice to shoot soemone, figuratively, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you give more detail about that "mutual consent clause?"
    Marcia@vinemarc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gina! Very helpful. Stephen seems like a very warm and funny guy. I can't wait to talk to him.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.