Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, June 01, 2014

He Knows. Does it Make You Squirm?

by Marcia Lee Laycock

Some people find it a bit disconcerting that “big brother is watching.” I’ve heard people complain when they see ads on their social media that are specifically targeted to them. I admit it is a little spooky when something pops up and it’s obvious “they” know what I’ve been doing with my time and what I’ve  purchased in the past while. 

But at the same time I kind of like it. I like being made aware of things that interest me – youtube always lets me know when the Piano Guys post a new video, for instance, and I like getting that little email that tells me what new plays are coming to my favourite theatre. It kind of feel like “they” are looking out for me.

Being known by some faceless entity can be a little scary because we just aren’t sure who to trust. Being known by God can be terrifying. The idea that He knows our every move makes some people squirm.  The idea that he knows the number of hairs on our head and cares about every move we make makes some people uncomfortable.
I kind of like it. No, actually, I love it. I love the words of Psalm 139 that says, “You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me ... If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast” (Psalm 139: 2 – 10). 

As a writer and speaker I especially love the words, “before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely” (v.4). He knows the words I will write and speak. He is aware of the exact words that will change a life. He knows the impact they will have on those who read and hear them. He is in control of it all.

And I love the fact that He knows my name and has called me to write. He has given me this gift that I might know Him and that others might hear of Him through me. I look on this as a blessing and a privilege.  I love the words of Isaiah 45:3 – “I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.” 

He knows my name, He knows me and He knows the work He has for me to do. Because He is entirely trustworthy that doesn’t make me squirm. It makes me want to shout, hallelujah!


****
Marcia Lee Laycock writes from central Alberta Canada where she is a pastor's wife and mother of three adult daughters. She was the winner of The Best New Canadian Christian Author Award for her novel, One Smooth Stone. Her second novel, A Tumbled Stone was short listed in the contemporary fiction category of The Word Awards. Marcia also has two devotional books in print one of which is short-listed in The Word Awards competition along with two other pieces of her work, a short story, An Unexpected Glory, and two blog posts from Novel Journey. Her work has been endorsed by Sigmund Brouwer, Janette Oke, Phil Callaway and Mark Buchanan. Visit Marcia’s Website
 

Recent Release: Journey to a Strong Tower - Volume One, Book One of The Ambassadors Trilogy

1 comment:

  1. You said it! He's trustworthy with out lives and our dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.