Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Here, Wear My Armor!


Today's guest devotion is by Sandra D. Bricker, from: His Grace is Sufficient…Decaf is Not © 2011 Summerside Press

Here, Wear My Armor!

Saul replied, “You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.” 1 Samuel 17:33

It took a lot of talking for David to convince King Saul that he could slay the giant. Even then, nervous Saul placed his tunic around the boy, and added a suit of armor and a bronze helmet. But David tried to walk around in it and kept falling over from the weight of it. He tossed it all off and went after Goliath armed with just a sling and a stone.
            
How many times have we faced down challenges that look as big as that giant? We stand there, with our sling and stone, wishing we had a king to stand behind us, some armor or a helmet to protect us.
            
As a cancer survivor, I often equate David’s story to my own battle against the disease; although, when that phone call came to identify ovarian cancer as the Goliath now standing before me, my attitude was far more Saul than David. I yearned for dependable armor, or a big old helmet! When I pulled back the band of my sling, I realized I had no little stone to load into it.
            
Then God’s grace sent Dr. Alison Calkins; beautiful, smart, compassionate. She looked me straight in the eye and answered every one of my six thousand questions. She let me cry without judgment and, when my weight was more than the radiation machine would allow, she even figured out how to build a support. Through her and her team, God fashioned the little stone I needed to take one brazen shot at cancer.
            
I’ll never forget the day Dr. Calkins told me, many weeks later, that the giant wasn’t getting back up again. “You and I are going to be together for the rest of your life,” she said with a smile as she explained how she envisioned my post-cancer care. “And I’m happy to tell you…that will be a very long time.”
            
Even now, more than six years later, I still feel queasy while I wait at the light at Martin Luther King Boulevard to turn into St. Joseph’s Hospital for my annual check-up. At first, I remember the loneliness of those treatments, the fear and anxiety and desperation. But as I park in a spot marked for Radiation Therapy Patients Only, and the glass door slides open and I spot Connie or Alex or Ann Marie, my heart starts to beat again. Excitedly, I anticipate getting my first look at Dr. Calkins, knowing she’ll be the reminder God brings that the giant has been slain.
            
I’ll bet, every now and then, David spotted a small stone at the side of the road, and couldn’t help but smile, remembering what he and God had done. If only I could tuck Dr. Calkins into my pocket and carry her with me as a reminder: By the grace of God, giants are slain!
           
Today’s Prayer: Father God, I’m humbled by Your grace as I face the towering giants in my life. You are always prepared for them, and You always provide just what I need for the fight, whether that be a stone or a doctor with a sweet, promising smile. Amen.

 Sandra D. Bricker is an award-winning best seller in the inspirational market with laugh-out-loud novels such as Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas and Always the Baker, Never the Bride from the Emma Rae Creation series. She spent 15+ years in Los Angeles as an entertainment publicist while studying screenwriting. However, when her mother became ill in Florida, she left all that behind to take on a couple of new roles: Caregiver and Novelist. Visit her website at www.SandraDBricker.com

4 comments:

  1. Thank heaven we have the "army of God" to stand behind us when so often our own ideas could spell disaster. I'm very glad your battle with cancer was won, Sandra, as your gift of humor and the ability to make someone else smile is priceless, and we need more of it in this world. May the anointing of a long and happy life be yours forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful story, Sandie. Gives hope for so many kinds of giants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I have those small stones in my life, especially now as I'm in the process of going through radiation treatments. Great post. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.