Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

E-Books...One Woman's POV

K. Dawn Byrd is an author of inspirational romance and romantic suspense with five books published to date...all in e-book versions. Here’s her take on the e-book phenomenon.

My first book published in e-format with Desert Breeze Publishing was in 2010. At the time, I felt like I was getting in on the ground floor of something great. I'd just learned how to download e-books to my BlackBerry and found that I loved reading them on the go. It was, and still is, wonderful to have dozens of books in one lightweight device that I always have with me. I've grown to love e-books so much that if a book doesn't come in E, I simply don't purchase it.

Publishing is changing at rapid rates. I've watched the market as publisher after publisher jumped on the e-book wagon. Some publishers publish only in E format. Kindles, Nooks, and every other e-book reader imaginable flew off the shelves in alarming rates this last December.

For those who love going green, e-books are the answer to conserving resources. Can you imagine how many trees have been saved? In addition, I hate to think of books ever ending up in the landfill, but it does happen. Since gasoline is so expensive, everyone is trying to conserve. It's nice to have access to millions of books with just the simple push of a button.

E-books are so convenient. I enjoy reading in bed and can now do so without turning on a lamp. I don't have to worry about disturbing my husband while I read and it's nice to pack light on vacation because all my books are in my Blackberry. When the power was off at my house for over thirty hours last winter due to a snowstorm, I was able to occupy myself by reading on my Blackberry.

I can't imagine the world without e-books and I'm so glad they're here to stay.


K. Dawn Byrd is an avid blogger and gives away several books per week on her blog... most of which are signed by the authors. She's also the moderator of the popular facebook Christian Fiction Gathering group.

When not reading or writing, K. Dawn Byrd enjoys spending time with her husband of 16 years while walking their dogs beside a gorgeous lake near her home and plotting the next story waiting to be told. Her latest releases in the Zoe Mack Mystery Series are due out in January, June and December 2012.

When Zoe Mack moves in with her grandparents to start college, she's thrown into more mystery than she bargained for. Her cousin, Emma, is terrorized by a stalker who breaks into her house and leaves a photo-shopped image of Emma hanging from a tree. Nothing is as it seems and Emma soon learns that even the man she thinks she can trust is suspect.

Zoe can't wait to reunite with Nate, the bad boy who doesn't talk about his feelings much, but the passionate kiss he gave her last summer had to have meant something. When she discovers he's in trouble with the law, she takes matters into her own hands to clear his name. She has her hands full with a needy Emma, a cop who gives her the creeps, and Nate, the guy she desperately wants to call her own. Can Zoe solve the mystery, clear Nate's name, and make him fall in love with her?

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you. E-books are really hot and I think they're here to stay! I got a Kindle for my last birthday and I simply LOVE IT! :-)

    I don't buy many paper books anymore. I mostly purchase e-books.

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both. I love to be able to take a book with me on my iPad, and I ca read anywhere at any time. But there's still something about the print copy I love, too. I've created fans for other writers by lending a book. I only lend one. If they want any more, they buy them. And buy they do. Now some of them come to me with the newest release from an author I've turned them onto. I love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of those who insisted I just had to have a printed novel in my hand to enjoy the story experience. Five minutes with a Kindle my husband gave me for my birthday, and I was sucked into the digital revolution. The only downside I've found so far--I can't slam it against the couch if I get mad at a character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by today, K. Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with K. Dawn and the other commenters. E-books are definitely here to stay. That said, one wonders when our slice of the market will outgrow the idea that "Print books good; e-books and small-press books bad." Of late I've seen some motion toward the idea that small-press and e-books might be trending to acceptability. But not yet, not enough, and not with enough speed for my taste.

      I believe there's no black and white on this issue. There are only customers, who will buy what suits them best. That's as it should be. Each medium fits a specific need. It seems to me it's time for Christian fiction to embrace that concept.

      Delete
  5. I'm getting into the ebook way and like my Kindle. Still, I enjoy going to the library and checking out books.
    Ann Gaylia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments! As far as I'm concerned, ebooks are the only way to read. I love them.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.