Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

All That and Toilet Paper?


Today's guest devotion is by Diann Hunt, from: Delight Yourself in the Lord…Even on Bad Hair Days © 2011 Summerside Press

All That and Toilet Paper?

Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.  Mark 6:51-52

Like many newlyweds, when we were first married, we struggled financially. Six months into wedded bliss, we found ourselves needing groceries. Being young and full of faith, we decided we would tell no one…but God.
            
Several days into this, as our stomachs growled and the food cabinet grew bare, I got a call from a friend wanting to know if I would go shopping with her. The last thing I wanted to do was go shopping. We barely had enough to put a meal together; shoes were the last thing on my mind. Yet, not wanting to spoil her enthusiasm and not wanting to let on that there was a problem, I quickly agreed.
            
Once I hung up the phone, I asked God for strength and grace to go shopping with my friend, and for help to keep our need from her. We wanted to rely totally upon God for this need.
            
So I got dressed and ready to go. My spirits perked as I thought about spending some time with my friend and enjoying our day.
            
When she showed up at the front door, she had a paper sack filled with groceries in her hands. I opened the door and she walked inside, heading straight for my table. She plunked the groceries on the table and turned to me. “I know this seems crazy, but during my quiet time this morning, the Lord told me you needed this.” Then she marched back to her car and brought in several more bags of groceries—right down to paper towels and toilet paper!
            
God had thought of everything.
            
I’ll never forget that day. We hadn’t told a soul of our need. We were careful to not let on to anyone that we had a need. I don’t know if we were putting God to the test or just plain trusting, but He came through for us. The thing that I hadn’t expected was how surprised we were. We say we trust Him, so why is it when He comes through for us we are surprised?
            
God met our need that day—and every day since then.
            
Do you have a need? Have you given it over to Him? God uses His people to reach out to others. It doesn’t hurt to share your need—unless He tells you to do otherwise. But no matter how you handle it, He is there for you. Trust Him. He’s a BIG God.              

Today’s Prayer:  Father, thank You that You are so much bigger than any need we have. Thank You for understanding our fears and for the strength You provide in times of challenge. Help us also to be an extension of Your hands to others in need.    

Diann Hunt admits to seeing the world from a slightly different angle than most, and she will do just about anything (within reason) for chocolate. Since 2001, Diann has 20+ books, including Love Letters in the Sand. Diann has won the American Christian Fiction Writer's prestigious Book of the Year award in her genre. Diann and her real-life hero-husband make their home in Indiana. Visit her website at www.DiannHunt.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Diann, for this sweet devotional. It was just perfect for me today. Tomorrow I jump into writing book #2, which is due in May. I feel ... overwhelmed. Yes, I know it's SecondBookitis, but it's my bout of SecondBookitis, and your devo today reminded me to wait on the Great Physician to meet my need as I write this book, word by word, chapter by chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.