Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Author Interview ~ Thomas Phillips

Thomas Phillips is a voracious reader and prolific writer. He uses his accomplishments as a motivational backdrop for speaking at school assemblies.
Born and raised in Rochester, New York, Phillips has worked as a freelance journalist and currently works full time as an employment law paralegal. When he isn’t writing, Phillips plays guitar, is active at his church, coaches his children’s Little League teams, co-leads Ink Spots and Coffee Grounds—a creative writing group, and plots his next story. The Molech Prophecy is his first published Christian novel.

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?

Well, Ane, my first Christian suspense novel, The Molech Prophecy, was recently released from Whitaker House (July 2008). They are also reviewing my second submission, a work I call, Convicted. And as any writer, I suppose, I have another completed manuscript as well as two others I am slaving away at. My hope is that Whitaker House will be so impressed with Molech Prophecy sales that they won’t be able to pass on any of the others!

You told me you published 5 mystery novels as Phillip Tomasso in the secular market. In 2003, you changed to the CBA. Are you finding much difference? How has the change affected your writing?

In April 2003, I became a Christian. It was bad timing for my then-publisher. My first hardcover had recently been released, and I decided not to do much to promote it. As a new Christian, I was confident that the works I’d written [previously] did nothing to bring honor and glory to God. At that point, I quit writing, more or less. Eventually, I got into writing weekly devotionals for my church’s e-newsletter.

In late 2005, I began a journey into a deep, dark valley. I felt like God was testing me. As time went on, I realized, the valley only got deeper and darker. In the fall of 2006, I was … I hate to use the word … inspired to write a new mystery novel. But this would be a Christian themed work.

I believe that God allowed me to work my way out of the valley, somewhat, through writing. Only this time, He wanted me to write books that glorified Him (and not just feed my own insatiable need for fame).

When I completed the manuscript, I managed to sign with an awesome agent and she placed the work with Whitaker House in just a few months.

See, my earlier works were all released through small presses. Overall sales were small. But, at the time, I was happy to be publishing at all.

The big difference is that for the first time, I’ve landed a large publisher. An awesome publisher, I might add. And I believe that this happened because I’ve changed from secular to Christian writing. I like to believe that God is blessing this new ministry I’ve undertaken, and that, perhaps, He is more pleased with my writing than He has been in the past.

The key, however, will still be visibility. Getting my name out there. There are so many talented suspense writers. Before, for me, it was about competition. Now, it’s not. It’s about spreading a message. Sharing my faith through my stories in some way. And I’ve talked with some great writers (James Scott Bell, Mark Mynheir, Eric Wilson) who have been nothing but supportive and helpful.

I want to be sure I answer the questions. There is a difference. It’s not about making money. Not this time around. Sure, I’d love to make my living writing full time. What writer wouldn’t? But I’m not consumed with that thought – the way I used to be.

And I think my latest works are some of the best stuff I’ve ever written. You always hear writers say things like, You have to write for you. That was the old me. Now, when I write it is for me, yes, but for others, as well. And although I guarantee my characters are flawed, and like real people, there will always be God’s presence in power, and love in fit in between the pages. I didn’t have that before. Thankfully, I have that now.

How did you come up with this new suspense story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

The Molech Prophecy starts with the discovery of the defacing of a church building. This happened here in Rochester to one church in particular, the church I went to. Not once. But twice. It was a new building. To see the black spray paint on the bricks was gut-wrenching. No one was ever caught. And so … a story the story was hatched …

Every novelist has a journey. How long was your original road to publication? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I grew up with a reading disability. It wasn’t until I was in seventh grade that I actually read a complete novel. It was S.E. Hinton’s, The Outsiders. Always a storyteller, I realized, if Hinton could inspire me to want to read, then maybe I could write books and inspire others … maybe reach those reluctant readers …

I knew that Hinton was 16 years old when she wrote that first, amazing novel. So I set a goal. I swore I’d sell a first book before turning 30. That gave me roughly sixteen years to play with.

When I turned twenty-five I found an ad in Writer’s Digest for a new, western-themed Canadian magazine looking for short-stories. I’d never written a western. I gave it a shot. When I submitted my 8,500 word piece, I wasn’t holding my breath.

Two months later, I received a contract and check in the mail. The publication paid $.01 per word. $85! (Remember, this is Canadian money at a time when the American dollar was worth more…) I cashed the check, getting $43.00. I was so excited; I took my family out to celebrate. I told them they could Super-size the whole order!

I went on to sell more than 30 short stories over the next five years. But had no luck finding a home for my novel. At age 29, I got a call from a small press that – during a move – had misplaced my manuscript. They found it. Read it. And if it was still available, wanted to publish it. The book was released February 2000. I turned 30 that June.

When you switched to inspirational suspense, was the journey long to find a publisher?

Gratefully, no. I finished the manuscript in early 2007. I signed with an agent a month or so later, and she found a home with Whitaker House by late summer 2007. I don’t know that that happens very often, but I’ll tell you I was thrilled when it did!

Do you ever bang your head against the wall from the dreaded writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

I have been very fortunate. Ideas fill my head, and any spare scarp of paper within arm's reach. Ironically, I teach creative writing classes at local Barnes & Nobles, and to students in Middle and High School. I write every day, even if only for ten minutes. And I read all the time. I believe keeping active this way has helped keep me from blocking up. However, I do find it hard sometimes to get back into the swing after a lengthy break from writing. What I do then is go back a few pages and read over what I’d already written, sit back, crack my knuckles and dive back in …

Novelists sometimes dig themselves into a hole over implausible plots, flat characters or a host of other problems. What's the most difficult part of writing for you or was when you first started on your novel journey?
That is a great question. When I write a novel, I know the end before I begin. I also have a lot of the in-between stuff worked out, as well. This, I think, keeps me from writing myself into a corner I can’t get out of.

Despite the importance of the mystery itself, I actually believe my books focus more on the characters. The story, ultimately, is about them. The mystery is just a means, a vehicle to get my main character from point A to point B. So I try to spend a lot of time on developing my characters. Are some flat? I’m sure some are. I do try my best to make even minor characters as real as possible.

For me, I struggle most with two things. Writing the first chapter, and writing the last.

A reader has got to be hooked right away. And if I can’t do that on the first page, my book will get passed over.

Molech Prophecy, I will admit, contains a first chapter that might not grab hold of a reader right off the bat. But the first chapter – the way it is written – is essential.

The last chapter has to wrap things up. No lose ends. And yet, it can’t be Brady Bunch style. That’s not real. That’s not acceptable. Not to me. Life doesn’t work that way.

Ensuring I have a complete resolution is important. Making sure my characters remain true, is equally important. In Convicted, (should it see publication), will shock many readers. There is not a Brady Bunch ending.

How did or do you climb out of said hole?

I sketch out my outlines in narrative to make sure I have clear direction.

And I sketch out my characters, as well. I am a people watcher. You can often times find me at the mall, sitting in the food court, watching people. Taking notes. Straining to listen to the different ways people express themselves.

I also flip through magazines and find models that I think look like the characters I’ve created in my head.

I then create a complete historic bio for each and every character, pasting a cut-out of the model representing them.

I flesh out the narrative outline as much as possible, arrange my character portfolios out nicely on the table, and then I get down to work …

Where do you write: In a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

I mostly write at a Starbucks in a local Barnes & Noble. I try to go three to four times a week. Usually after work. I spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hours plugging away.

I write at home, too. But not as much. Too many distractions. TV. Refrigerator. Napping on the sofa.

I go to Starbucks armed with my MP3 player. I order a large, regular coffee, and ask that the server leave room for loads of sugar and cream (which they never do, ah-hum). I find a table in a corner, or by a window, and sit facing everyone. With my music on loud, my feet tapping, knee bobbing, I write – lost in my own world. Some people think that would be distracting, writing in public, listening to music as loud as I do … but I find it has the opposite effect. It is inspiring.

What does a typical day look like for you?

Typical? Oh, I wish I had a much fancier answer for this one. Well, on a typical weekday I get up every morning around 5:00 AM. I play with my kitten for a little bit, while I start the coffee pot brewing. I get to work before 6:00 (I work full time as an employment law paralegal).

In the summer, spring and fall, I take lunch out on the High Falls Bridge, over looking the Genesee water falls … (this is one of a few rivers that flows south to north). I get out of work at 3:00. When my kids don’t have a baseball, football or basketball game or practice, I head to Starbucks to write for a few hours. I head home and usually veg-out in front of the television. I watch a ton of movies. And am hooked on only a handful of TV shows (dare I list them? LOST, 24, The Office, and … yepper … American Idol).

Some authors report writing 5-10 thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to tweeze each word out?

5-10 thousand words a day? God bless them! I’m happy if I can churn out 2-3 thousand usable words. I tend to write, write, write and worry about editing and tweaking and re-writing after. My goal is to get the story down. Then fix it. I know writers who strain and struggle over every single word choice. Watching them write is like watching people play chess, or worse – like watching golf on TV. I’d rather write the book, and then concentrate on smoothing sentences, and such. But hey, that’s just me!

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.

I gave you some of it earlier. I get an idea (rarely from dreams, lol). I draft out a narrative synopsis, and then work on what characters will be needed. Central characters. I don’t use a formal outline. I do not plot and plan chapters ahead of time. I put my characters on a Word page. My summary on another. Clues and Red Herrings on a third. I keep a list of places (restaurants, clubs, etc.) with descriptions and directions – like a map, almost – on yet another.

I know the beginning, the middle and the end before I start writing. So as I write I toggle back and forth between my tip-sheets until I am so familiar with my characters, my plot and my setting, it is like second nature. I have a handful of close friends, may are writers, who I will send chapters to for immediate feedback. Usually this is more toward the completion of the manuscript.

When the book is done, I print out a copy and red-pen edit the work. I can’t edit by looking at my lop-top screen. Words look too perfect on the screen. The mistakes don’t jump out at me. When I edit, I read the work out loud. I try to touch each word with the tip of the pen. These techniques make it, for me, much easier to detect wrong verb tenses, and test the validity of dialogue. I am a sentence fragment king. I. Love. Them. Right. Or. Wrong.

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, That Was Then This Is Now, Tex – these are by S.E. Hinton. They were the first four books I ever read. They are still my favorites. Travis Thrasher’s The Second Thief blew me away.

I love James Scott Bell and Randy Singer. Legal thrillers have always been a favorite of mine. And these two others write legal thrillers that surpass works by the likes of John Grisham. (Although, I like him, too).

I love James Patterson’s Alex Cross novels, with their fast, short chapters—you read ‘em quick. I’m a big horror fan. I have read everything by Stephen King and Dean Koontz, Robin Cook and John Saul. I am not one for the classics, although Huxley’s A Brave New World, and Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men are two that I enjoyed very much. But my favorites … the first four I mentioned, lol!

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

I am going to mess this quote up. Not sure who said it. Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And later on you can use it in some story. I think it was Tapani Bagge who said that. (But don’t quote me). But I think it is true. Everything that happens in my life, I incorporate in some way into the pieces I write. Rarely do I use exact-anything. But it is bits and pieces that make up a scene, or character, or event. And although I still find myself trapped in this … valley … I wonder if it isn’t helping me, in some unfortunate way, to continue writing the books I’ve been writing. If I come out of the valley, will the creative flow … stop?

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

There was a time when writers, most of introverts, could write and write and never have to come out of our log cabin in the woods—except to trek down to the village post office in order to send out manuscripts. But not anymore. Publishers expect writers to Be the marketing team.

I’m good with this. My publisher is currently working hard to market and advertise my new novel. But so am I. I’ve joined sites like, Myspace and Shoutlife and ACFW. I contact radio stations and newspapers and bookstores and libraries. I solicit endorsement blurbs from other, more established authors. I try to get reviews from book review magazines.

I have, on my car, a Molech Prophecy bumper sticker on the rear, Book Cover Magnets on the driver and passenger side doors, and a window decal on the rear window. My vehicle is, for all intent and purposes, The Molech Prophecy Mobile.

I wear a ball cap with the book cover on it. I carry business cards in my wallet, have ‘fridge magnets … I hand these out, everywhere. When I eat at a restaurant, along with my tip I leave a business card that has the book cover on it … I lead and co-lead creative writing classes, speak at schools … As far as I know, all of these things work. Until I hear otherwise, I’ll keep at them! (Want a bumper sticker? Just ask!)

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Dedication. Drive. Discipline. I knew these were important. But when I was younger, I did not take them serious enough. A lot of getting published is based on timing. Writing the right piece, at the right time, getting it in front of the right editor/agent, when they are in the right mood for exactly what you’ve written. Being a published author is only a small fraction of the whole equation. The writing itself – that’s the journey. I stressed out about getting published so much that it ruined the fun of … getting there. I wish I would have taken my time.

And Ane, I’ve enjoyed your questions and just want to thank you for this awesome opportunity to talk (write, whatever). Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the interview, Thomas, and on the book. It's fun to read some of the behind-the-scenes stuff of your process and purpose.

    Oh, and I loved all those S.E. Hinton books, too.

    Eric Wilson

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.