Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sunday Devotion-Mother's Day

Janet Rubin

Mother's Day. Sure, it's probably just a scheme devised by Hallmark and the florists to make millions. But it is nice to have a day to honor the moms. However, it's a day of pain for many: those who want to be mothers, but aren't; those who grew up without a mother; those who grew up with a mother who mistreated them; those whose relationships with their mothers are full of bitterness and conflict; those who've lost children; those wounded by abortion; single moms struggling through life; moms of prodigals.... The list goes on. And it can be hard to go to church and listen to another sermon about Eunice or Hannah or the dreaded Proverbs 31 woman. Even those of us who do have children can come home feeling like failures- discouraged, not good enough.

I just wanted to remind you today that God has not only a father-heart, but also a mother-heart. He is nurturing and tender, willing to scoop his children onto his lap and comfort them. He wishes to shelter us and kiss our boo boos. He sees every wounded heart and inadequate relationship. He longs to fill the holes in our hearts. And he loves us JUST THE WAY WE ARE, mistakes and all. I'm putting in some of my favorite verses that capture the mother-heart of God. Be blessed! Happy Mother's Day

Lord, Thank You for being a loving and tender God. You are both father and mother, lover and best friend. Please minister in a special way to every woman who visits Novel Journey today. Let her know she is loved and precious to you and that you long to gather her to you and simply love her. Amen

Isaiah 66:12-13 God's Message:
"I'll pour robust well-being into her like a river, the glory of nations like a river in flood.You'll nurse at her breasts, nestle in her bosom, and be bounced on her knees.As a mother comforts her child, so I'll comfort you. You will be comforted in Jerusalem." [The Message]


Psalm 27:10 When my father and my mother forsake me,Then the LORD will take care of me. [NKJV]

Matthew 23:37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! [NKJV]

Isaiah 40:11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, And carry them in His bosom, And gently lead those who are with young. [NKJV]

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the joy that the Lord feels when He kisses our boo boos:). I am jello when my daughter asks me to kiss an injury. It is such a joy to be able to hold her and experience the tender love that I feel as a mother. It fills my senses and gives me just a slight glimpse of how the Father must feel when we call on Him.

    Have a cup o'joy
    and fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet,

    It makes me sad to know that a special day greeting can cause pain. But it's true of all special days. Depression skyrockets around Christmas and New Year's and the hospitals fill up. Valentine's Day mocks those who don't have a sweetheart or wish they had a better one.

    I guess it all points to the fact that life is full of tragedy and misunderstandings and longing for that special connection, a person to love us unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.