Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Novel Journey's Own ~ S. Dionne Moore Interviewed

Meet one of the newest members of the Heartsong Presents: MYSTERIES! team, S. Dionne Moore. Sandra, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet with us today.

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?

Murder on the Ol’ Bunions is book 1 of 3 in the LaTisha Barnhart Mystery series. It releases this month from Barbour’s new Heartsong Presents: Mysteries! line. Book 2, Polly
Dent Loses Grip, releases in March of 2009, followed by Eat, Drink, and Be Buried in 2010.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

The birth of LaTisha came about after an agent read one of my historical fiction manuscripts and commented on how much she enjoyed my spunky mature women
characters. It really helped me pinpoint the type of character I most enjoy creating. Too, one of my good friends is an African American woman with a great sense of humor and zest for life. She always recharges me with her spunk and fun-loving nature. Most importantly, I wanted to create a character who shared a unique and humorous camaraderie with her husband.

On the street, meeting someone like LaTisha and Hardy would tempt you to judge their relationship as one where she rules the roost. Coming to know these two characters through MOTOB helps you realize that their brand of humor and respect goes far deeper than the words they sling at each other.

Every novelist has a journey. How long was your road to publication? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I’ve been a member of ACFW forever. Seriously! My member # is 64, what does that tell you? J So I’ve been in training for a long time. I think my main problem was finding my voice. You know, what do I not only like to write, but what genre matches my particular voice and style? That’s always a tough question for a writer to answer, let alone discover.

Because I had coordinated ACRWs (before they were ACFW) Noble Theme Contest for 3 years, I wasn’t allowed to enter. When the contest changed its name, and I retired from coordinating, I decided it was time. I had just received the comment from the agent praising my quirky female characters. My mind got to churning. I love mystery. I love humor. Up to that point I’d never penned a mystery, but I decided to try my hand. After about a month of putting a few chapters together, I let my husband read what I had. He loved it! High praise indeed. I hired a freelance editor to go over the first three chapters, then sent in a proposal to Susan Downs and the required number of pages to the Genesis.

It was exciting to get the call that I’d finaled in the Genesis. But even more exciting when, about a week later, Susan Downs IMed me with an offer to buy what was then titled Get Off My Bunions . . . IF I would change the entire manuscript to first person!!

I about died.

I’d never written in first person before. Well, okay, I wrote the synopsis of Bunions in first person, but only against the advice of many. I couldn’t help it though. I could visualize LaTisha sitting down and telling the story of her first case, and that’s how I wrote the synopsis. But an entire manuscript?

Lianne Lopes gave me a crash course in first person. And I mean crash course. In two days I not only learned the ropes of first person, but applied the changes to my manuscript. And you know what? It flowed SO much better in first.

I sent it back to Susan and she called to tell me she wanted to make the deal official. But I was out and missed the call. L When we finally connected via IM, I was so excited! When we were finished, I went out back on my deck and screamed at the top of my lungs. My neighbors heard me and came running, thinking something terrible had happened.

Do you ever bang your head against the wall from the dreaded writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Yes and no. I think writer’s block is another way of saying burn-out. Everyone’s personality is different. Some can crank out manuscripts without coming up for air at all. Some must take a break on occasion, whether that’s once a week or an entire month.


I’ve learned that I need a break. But while I’m taking a break, I always have other ideas and thoughts stirring. Some see the light of day. Some don’t. For me, the creative side of writing never rests. I’m always making mental notes of what I’d like to include in my next story.

Novelists sometimes dig themselves into a hole over implausible plots, flat characters or a host of other problems. What's the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your novel journey)?

Tough question. I think the most difficult part of writing is getting into character. Though implausible plots runs a very close second, it can be overcome to a great extent with proper planning. Or should I say proper plotting.

How did (or do) you climb out (overcome it)?

During the early days, I prided myself on being a SOTP writer. It took me a very long time to see the value of defining GMC and writing a synopsis before getting too far into the story. So now, much to the dismay of SOTPers everywhere, I see the value of planning ahead and making sure my characters having clearly defined goals before chapter 4. Otherwise my story doesn’t go deeper than the virtual paper it is typed on and I end up wasting a LOT of time.

Too, I contracted on proposal, so defining the GMC and being able to write a synopsis to submit to an editor, without finishing a manuscript, is a time saver. It’s also something I never could have done as an SOTPer.

Where do you write: In a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

None of the above. I write in my chair (with matching ottoman), preferably with a hot mocha at my side. I bought a Macbook Pro (LOVE IT!) so I can write and update my Website as well as access the Internet for research (okay, so I check my e-mail frequently too).

We’re in transition right now. We sold our house in August of ’07 and are in the process of building (watch us build at my Website!), so my office is currently in a room with only one small window. I sure miss the sunlight.

What does a typical day look like for you?

It looks scary. You see there’s this little thing called homeschooling . . .

Typically I get up, scarf down toast and juice, then walk for 45 minutes. I also love using my walk time as prayer time. Combined, these things really help get me started out on the right foot.

I then make sure my daughter is fed and able to handle her first assignments of the day. While she’s deep into her school work, I try to tie up loose ends for the day regarding the household. Then I break for lunch, guide Lauren through her Math and English assignments, and, finally, it’s writing time. Around 5 pm I try to break to eat and feed the crew. If I need to return to writing, I’ll work from early evening until midnight.

Some authors report writing 5-10 thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to tweeze each word out?

I try to challenge myself to write at least 5K a day. If the words don’t come, I force them out and comfort myself that they can be edited away later on. That is the beauty of editing!

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.

I usually begin with the spark of an idea. It could be a character who inspires the story or a setting that forces the characters into sharp focus. Usually my idea for a historical begins with a particular setting and I mold the characters to fit the setting, but LaTisha’s stories begin with her. She wouldn’t have it any other way.

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

Early Mary Higgins Clark books. Love her succinct style and the slow build of suspense that leads right into that surprise ending. Masterful! I also found Francine River’s Mark of the Lion series to be some of the best historical reading I’ve sampled in a long time. But I’ll be honest, learning the rules of writing has ruined my ability to enjoy some authors. I can’t read with the same naiveté that I once possessed.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Listen. Listen to others who critique your work and especially to those who don’t agree with your perception. You’ll learn scads from those who don’t think your every word is a miracle on paper. If you can’t bring yourself to take the criticism, you’ll never make it as an author.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I don’t know about the saving time part, but if someone had told me that it’s normal for the journey to publication to take anywhere from two years to fourteen, it might have helped alleviate some of my frustration when, after five years of studying the craft, I still didn’t have a contract.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Writers write.

9 comments:

  1. Sandra, we're so proud of you and your bunions! I'm looking forward to seeing you flourish and succeed. It couldn't happen to a nicer lady. Unless of course it happened to Ane. I mean, she's so nice it's sickening.

    Anyway, congrats Sandra. You've worked long and hard for this moment. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Sandra, on your debut novel. You deserve all the best. You may not remember all the time you spent helping me with my historical when we were paired as partners at TWV through Chip McG. I did listen and your suggestions for improvement were invaluablel. I am SO happy for you.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a blast working with you, Sandra. I can't wait to get my hands on your bunions...er...I mean book, so I can see if LaTisha's sense of humor is as hysterical as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun interview! I met Sandra at the Philly Writers' Conference even before ACRW, and it's great to see her succeed! Yeah! Congratulations. I am going to zip over to your website and see the building process and what else is new with you.
    Blessings,
    Carrie Turansky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, I echo Gina's words. We're really proud to call you our own. :o) I can't wait to read the final of your book. Now I've got to go be a writer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is this?

    I'm proud of you and all the critiquing scars you've inflicted on me. : ).

    I may have you autograph one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your heart, Sandra - it is great getting to know the authors at HPM. Can't wait to get your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! fellow HPM writer. Can't wait to read it. If you're number 64, I wonder what number I am?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandra,

    What an insightful interview! Very interesting. And how nice to get to know you better!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.