Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Author Interview ~ Rita Gerlach

Rita Gerlach has published three historical novels which received high praise from book reviewers and readers. Currently she is writing a novel set along the Potomac River and England’s gentle countryside entitled Beside Two Rivers, a story of love and loss, prejudice and acceptance, in a volatile era. She has articles in Writers Gazette, Will Write 4 Food, Write to Inspire, and the print magazine The Christian Communicator. She's a member of The Western Maryland Writers Guild and the American Christian Fiction Writers association. She lives with her husband and two sons in historic Frederick County, Maryland.

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?

Due to the fact I haven’t landed a new book contract lately, I have nothing coming out in bookstores at present. But I am working on it. I have a new historical novel entitled Surrender the Wind that I am submitting to literary agents, and I am writing another. Surrender the Wind is a Georgian period novel, set mostly in England. The book has a strong, heroic male lead, who’s life is unexpectantly interrupted when he inherits his grandfather’s estate near the windswept coast of Devonshire. He acquires much more than an old manor house when he and those he loves are threatened by murder, deceit, and kidnapping.

Aside from writing novels, I have a wonderful project going on called Stepping Stones Magazine ~ for writers and those that love them. SSM focuses on writing, marketing, promotion, and author interviews. Each month, I put up a new issue on book marketing and author promotion, while keeping other features solidly in place. A few features include ‘Advice from the Pros’ — little snippets of guidance from well-known authors such as Nicolas Sparks and Brandilyn Collins.

Every novelist has a journey. How long was your road to publication? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I began writing in 1989 after my cousin Nora Roberts gave me a signed copy of one of her novels at a family reunion. My first book contract was offered in 2000 through a print on demand publisher. I was elated of course. But after the book went into production, and I found out there would be no bookstore placement, the road I was treading suddenly became an uphill climb.

Do you ever bang your head against the wall from the dreaded writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

I call it Writers Pause, simply because it is usually for a short period of time. I try to look at writers pause as a time to reflect, recoup, take a breath and evaluate where I am going with my work. To overcome it, I jot down ideas for other books, listen to music, take long walks. I give myself time, instead of stressing over the fact I’m not writing every day. There is enough pressure in this industry without writers adding guilt on top of it.

Novelists sometimes dig themselves into a hole over implausible plots, flat characters or a host of other problems. What's the most difficult part of writing for you?

I really cannot say. I know I’ve grown as a writer over the years. I am the last to admit perfection of any kind. But writing in and of itself is a joy to me. However, to narrow it down to one thing, I’d have to say finishing a novel in a shorter period of time. Each novel I have written took me at least a year to finish the first draft, and then another six months to a year to work on revisions. I hear about writers finishing a book in a matter of months and it boggles my mind how they do it!

How do you climb out?

To me it’s like being in training as athlete. You don’t suddenly wake up one morning and think, “I’m going to be a novelist’, and then write the next great bestseller first time around. Like anything in life, excellence requires lots of practice and discipline. And to achieve the goal of writing a great story requires patience and persistence. I decided a long time ago, that I would give myself time to develop the craft. I also promised myself that no matter what happens, I would not let anything take the joy of storytelling away from me. Loving what I do has been the key for me.

As far as writing a novel in a shorter period of time, I haven’t solved that, and perhaps it isn’t really a problem. If a novel is to be good, why rush it?

Where do you write: In a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

We live in a townhouse on the edge of town. My writing space is humble indeed. I have an old desk large enough for my computer, a phone, my journal, and a small basket of papers. It’s situated under a window, and outside I can pause to admire the enormous sugar maple in my backyard, the farmer’s field, and the mountains off in the distance. I think I would love a cozy attic nook with a window!

What does a typical day look like for you?

I write in the mornings when the world seems quieter to me. Coffee in hand, I check emails, send replies. Then I skip over to some networking sites that I am a member of, and that gets me warmed up. I’ll work on Stepping Stones Magazine, and then pull away from the computer, shower and dress, then roll up my sleeves to work on a novel for at least three hours, longer if there are no interruptions. That’s pretty much a typical morning. However, it’s not always so smooth. I get plenty of disruptions, mostly in the form of phone calls, a knock at the front door. I remind myself there is a world out there, and I save my work and give time to answer that call or greet a visitor.

Some authors report writing 5-10 thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to tweeze each word out?

No day is a like. Sometimes it flows like a raging river. Other days it’s like a melting ice sickle...one drip at a time. I don’t fret it. I write what I can and don’t force it.

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.


It starts with an idea, and then the first two main characters come to mind. I use a spiral notebook to jot down names, ideas for plot and theme, and any scenes that I might work into the story. I do not use an outline. That is too stifling to me. I have a separate notebook for each book. I start researching, through the Internet, historical facts concerning the period in history, and I take down brief notes of certain facts I feel are important to the story.

I muse a lot over my beginning. There has to be something in chapter one that propels the story forward, where the foundation is laid for the rest of the book. I then try to write every morning. The complete manuscript is usually finished within two years. I don't believe in rushing a novel. A novel should be written thoughtfully and with care. It's like eating a luscious chocolate. You want to slowly savor the flavor, not chew it up fast and swallow it down.

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, and all of Jane Austen. The reasons? Great storytelling, strong heroes and virtuous leading ladies. I love the writing style, especially the incredible dialogue that goes on between the characters.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Let your reader see, hear, taste, touch, and feel what your characters are seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, and feeling. Another is, don’t get paranoid about the ‘writing rules’, just write a great story.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I had had a better understanding of the publishing industry. When I first began submitting my work, print on demand had become a new venue. I admit, I jumped at the first publishing contract offered to me, and that was with a pod publisher. I had no knowledge how the industry works, how bookstores place books. I learned a lot from the experience, but it was a bumpy road, sometimes heartbreaking. But I never quit. With the Internet, there is so much information available to new writers to help them understand the ins and outs of publishing. I advise new writers to research the business side so they are prepared.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I have a slogan — Marketing is getting your book into the hands of readers. Promotion is building your name. Even though I do not have a novel coming out presently, I have a marketing plan in place, waiting in the wings, for when it does. I have strategized ways of getting the word out through ‘influencers’, people that will spread the word. I have lists of book reviewers to contact, and bookstore managers that will schedule book signings. I have a network of local connections for speaking engagements. I love promoting my work, and any editor that publishes me will find me working feverously to accomplish my goals.

Overall, I find that having the willingness to be approachable and available to bookstores, libraries, reading groups, etc. works best. When I have had speaking engagements and signings, I go in with the mindset that I am there for the people coming — they are not there for me.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Practice writing. Be patient with the work you do, with submissions, and with getting published. Be professional. Do not write for fame or fortune. Write because you love to write. Make the writing number one, and the publication of your work number two. It's tough to break in and a new writer needs to know the realities of getting published. A lot of beginning writers have the misconception that they are going to be rich and famous. They believe it is wrong to think otherwise. Do not be quick to set yourself up for disappointment. Fame and fortune may not come when your books get published. What is important is that you are an author and readers enjoy your work. Do not ever let fame and money be your motivation for being an author. If it is, you are writing for the wrong reasons.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ane and Rita, for this interview. It was very insightful. This time last year I know very little about the publishing industry. It's been an eye opener for me to make the discoveries. Nevertheless, I still endeavor to see my first in print. The advice to not look for fame and fortune from publication and make the writing number one is excellent. Thank you, Rita, for all the good marketing info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Ane, and great insight, Rita! I especially love the phrase "Writers Pause." :) Although at the time, it can feel more like "Writers Narcolepsy" rather than a brief pause!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great interview, Rita and Ane. I especially like the title for the novel you're submitting, Rita - Surrender the Wind. Wow, it's one of those that sweeps you up before even seeing the cover.

    May God continue to bless both of you wonderful women of God.

    Hugs...
    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY COW!! Nora Roberts is your cousin? What is THAT like??

    Great interview, Rita. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Rita!

    What a wonderful interview with one very smart, dynamic lady. As one of your fans, I will await your newest when it is published. (And I have no doubt that it will be!)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aunt Rita!

    Great Interview, and I'm proud of all that you've accomplished over the years!! :)

    Love,

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.