Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

YA Author Interview ~ Stephanie Moore



Stephanie Perry Moore is a best selling Christian fiction novelist with over 15 books in print. Her groundbreaking Payton Skky Series is the first African-American Christian teen series in the country. She also pens the Laurel Shadrach Series, the Carmen Browne Series and two adult Christian Fiction titles, Flame and A Lova’ Like No Otha’. In 2007 she will have seven new titles released. Among them, Chasing Faith, her next adult title will be released in March of 2007. She will have two new teen series break into the marketplace as well, the innovative novelzine of Faith Thomas and the male series, Perry Skky Jr. She is also the co-editor for the impactful BibleZine, REAL. Mrs. Moore speaks with young people across the country, showing them how they can still be cool, but do it God's way. She lives in the greater Atlanta area with her husband, Derrick, and their children.
(Interview conducted by YA Correspondant, Noel DeVries)

What book or project is coming out or has come out that you'd like to tell us about?


God wants you to Shine is the second book in the Faith Thomas series. This title deals with self esteem issues. It's a fun read for girls ages 12-18 years of age. Any young lady struggle with finding their self worth will this read feeling like the jewel the Lord has created them to be.

Also, I'd like to say that I’m thrilled about this fresh, new series that focuses on a 13–year–old Nashville native. She’s a sassy eighth grader with a lot on the ball. She’s also smart, athletic, and really cool. It also doesn’t hurt that her famous father is one of the country’s best Christian singers. However, she’s not totally happy, and she doesn’t know why. Faith is a character that most teen girls will easily identify with. She’s searching for something, and by the book’s end, she will find what can make her life whole—a relationship with Jesus Christ.

What is a Novelzine, exactly?
Ahh, a novelzine is mostly a fiction story that is part magazine. The concept of the Novelzine™ is this: Most of the text is written as a novel but included are a bunch of other features that are nonfiction, designed to help the reader enjoy the story more, grow stronger as a Christian, and simply have fun reading.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the contract call, and what went through your head?

Actually it was quite difficult for me to get published. It took seven years. I tried to get an agent at first and that brought me three rejections. I then sent a baby name book that was never published to companies; I got several rejections on that idea. I was discouraged, but God gave me the strength to forge ahead and keep the faith.

Since my husband was playing for the Detroit Lions, he was speaking all over the city and meeting several wonderful people. He gave me a hook-up when he mentioned to the right people about my African-American Christian, teen novel. Two years from that meeting, my first title in the Payton Series came out. I guess you could say God worked it out His way, in His time. I was overjoyed.

What influenced your departure from traditional novel format?
I'm still writing series in the traditional format, however, I call this an expansion. I was inspired to create this concept after working with Thomas Nelson Publishers on their BibleZine REAL, which is the NCV version of the New Testament that looks like a magazine. It includes extra features to further explain elements of the Bible for young believers. Also, as I talked to young people across the country they had questions about the storyline or wanted to have direction to grow their own relationship with God. This format, allows them to be entertained, but inspired and charged at the same time.

What has reader response been to novelzines?
Everyone that reads the story loves it. We're trying to get the word out about their series so more young people can enjoy all that it entails.

What prepared you to write for young adults?
I speak to kids across the country, and I enjoy question and answer times. Actually, when the kids are done with their questions, I get to ask mine. Mainly I ask, “What are you struggling with? Tell me what type of stories you’d like to see in a novel. Give me some dirt.” It’s a fun time of interaction with young people, and it really puts a spark into my writing, making it that much more real and helpful to the readers.

What are some of your favorite books (not written by you)?
I'm a Max Lucado fan. Also, I love reading Robin Jones Gunn's YA books. Anything that inspires me to become better for Him is something I dig reading.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?
Well, I have three kids that keep me on my toes. So now that they are back in school, after I get them off, I start talking a chapter into my digital voice recorder. Next I usually I have to edit another chapter from a different book. Then I create the outline for a completely different title. God keeps pouring out the ideas.

Is there a particularly difficult setback that you've gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

I've been published almost ten years. I still hoping to have a bigger impact. It gets tough when you work and you work and you feel like you're not hitting the mark the Lord placed out there for you. But thankfully in those times of writer's doubt, God send a message form a reader of how my books have blessed their soul. That wind of sweet words, propels me forward.

What piece of writing have you done that you're particularly proud of and why?
I'm proud of the Payton Skky books, particularly, Staying Pure, because they were my first titles and the impact those books are having is still being felt many years later.

Are you worried about your Novelzines finding a place in bookstores because of their magazine format?

Yes, I'm in prayer about this. God gave me the vision and I know in His way He will open up doors for this novelzine to flourish and change lives for the better.

How do you plan to market them?

We have two sites now for the Novelzines. Also, I am touring and Harvest House is doing a great marketing campaign with publicity and radio to expose many youth to these books.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

Well, I used to write episodes of “The Cosby Show” for fun when I was in middle school. Didn’t ever get them to Bill Cosby; however, it did give me a love for and a desire to pursue the field of writing. Actually, writing for television and film is still where I hope God takes me to one day.

Who do you hope will pick up a copy of your novelzine?

I hope everyone picks it up and browses through it. The teen girl herself, seeking hope. The mother or grandmother hoping to some piece to help them better help their child. The father who wishes their angel would see her self as a gem. Or anyone looking for a great gift item to inspire a young person.

Parting words?

I pray that the drama–packed story, God wants you to Shine, with a biblical message will touch someone’s heart. It’s good to be entertained, but it is life–changing to be inspired. So basically, I hope to move all my readers closer to the Lord. And one day, I can’t wait for God to say, “Good job, my good and faithful servant.”

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a Novelzine and am praying it takes hold! I have seen the NCV Biblezines you mention and I think they are compelling.

    Many Blessings!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina and I met Strphanie at ICRS and loved her idea for the novelzine. I think it's something teens are going to eat up. :o)

    Great interview and good insights, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Stephanie. Hi, Gina. Great interview. Stephanie, you know I love your work. I just read Wearing my Halo Tilted for RT. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Noel and Stephanie.

    I'm intrigued by the Novelzine idea. Trish Goyer's books, Generation Next and Life Unscripted were easy to read because there were loads of "small articles" within the chapters.

    What a cool idea to do that with novels. I agree with Ane that this should really appeal to teen girls. (or busy adults.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, Do you remember me?

    I love your work and hope you keep writing.The Novelzines are a great idea! Love your adult fiction, too.

    Thanks for doing the interview as it was good to see what you're doing.

    And NJ Girls, you continue to do a good job on finding the best of the best to interview!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.