Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Author Interview ~ Mark Mynheir


Mark Mynheir is a homicide detective whose law enforcement career has included serving as an undercover narcotics agent and a S.W.A.T. team member. He has also written several articles for Focus on the Family’s Breakaway magazine and the Lookout. Mark is the author of three novels: Rolling Thunder, From the Belly of the Dragon, and The Void, which releases August 21st, 2007. He and his family currently live in central Florida.

Plug time. What new book or project do you have coming out?

In The Void, which releases in August, 2007, Florida Department of Law Enforcement Agent Roberta “Robbie” Sanchez is called in to investigate the murder of a local police detective. When the clues point to a genetic research lab in Palm Bay, Robbie is propelled into a case that challenges everything she knows—or thinks she knows—about the spirit world. Robbie and her team of detectives find themselves face-to-face with a foe of unspeakable evil who’s gunning for them all.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

I was reading an article on the internet about cloning. I’ve always been a bit fascinated with the subject, so I wondered what’s going to happen when humans are successful. Will cloned humans have spirits? If they don’t, could demons enter them? With no human spirit to contend with in a genetically perfect body, what havoc could these beings wreak on the world? And how would they be stopped?

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

When I was growing up, the worst thing I could think of doing was writing. I loathed putting words to paper. I’m Dyslexic and the very reason (I believe) that God invented spell check. But soon after I became a Christian, I felt the Lord leading me to write. It didn’t make much sense to me and seemed impossible. I shared with my wife what I thought God was doing, and she encouraged me to go to school and learn the skills I needed to write.

So, it took about ten years of classes, writing, and more classes. I met my agent, Les Stobbe, at a writer’s conference. He shopped my first novel, which got some good reviews but didn’t sell. I wrote the proposal for Rolling Thunder, my first published novel. He sent it out. I expected it to take six months or so before I heard anything. But about a week later, I got an e-mail from Multnomah, asking if I would be interested in writing a series. I had to wake my wife up to read the e-mail, just to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind.

To say the least, I got kind of weepy when I held my first book. But don’t tell anyone.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Sometimes. But when I feel myself locking down on a blank page, I force myself to write anything on the screen. I’d rather have gibberish to delete later than stare at an unfilled page.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you?

Point-of-view, for sure. It took me a while to really get that.

How did you overcome it?

I read several books and articles on the subject, and I’m blessed to work with a great editor, Julee Schwarzburg. She’s been a wonderful teacher and friend.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I have an office at the house—whenever I can chase the kids off of the computer.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

With my police job being so unpredictable, I write whenever I can, so it’s hard to set limits. When I do have a full day to dedicate to it, I shoot for two thousand words.

You balance your writing with your service as a police officer. What does a typical day look like for you?

I still work as a homicide/violent crimes detective as my day job. Nine to five in the office. Callouts all times of the day and night. It can get really hectic.

When I get the chance, I mostly write at night and on weekends. Since I have a wife and three children who actually like me, I have to divide my time carefully. Sometimes I wonder how everything gets done.

Even when I’m working at the police thing, I’m still churning the stories in my head until I can get home and commit them to paper. I’m sick, I know. But what can I say, I’m a writer.

Take us through your process of writing a novel briefly—from conception to revision.

I start with the idea or question I’m working on, like the cloning questions in The Void. I turn it in my head for weeks, sometimes months as I’m working on other projects. Then I outline (not too detailed though) and start writing. My stories rarely follow the initial outline.

What are some of your favorite books (not written by you)?

Eureka, by William Diehl; The Note, by Angela Hunt; To Kill a Mocking Bird, Harper Lee; The Great Divide, Davis Bunn; Nobody, Creston Mapes, and many more.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Learn your craft and everything else will fall into place.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I’d have read a few more books on novel writing. I’ve had to play some catch up. There’s a lot of subtleties to make stories stronger, particularly with regard to structure and point-of-view usage.

In publishing, I should have taken the time to talk with experienced authors about the business end and the expectations. It would have saved me some unnecessary aggravation.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I’ve tried some marketing things that haven’t worked out well at all. Because I still have a very demanding day job and with my family responsibilities, I’ve learned that I need to write the very best book possible, and let the marketing take care of itself. I don’t have the time to put into marketing that I would like, so I have to rely on God to open up those paths for me.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Stick with it! Many a great manuscript or talented writer will never be discovered because the author didn’t show the fortitude to stick it out through the tough times—and there will be tough times. If you’re called to be a writer, write. Learn your craft, read books about writing, go to conferences, and write, write, write. Don’t let negative voices around you derail the dream God has planted.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mark, for sharing your hourney. My nephew is a detective with the LAPD and I know how hard your work is. I can't imagine combining it with writing. I'm glad you stuck with it. The book is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Mark,

    You da man Cop Diddy! THE VOID is THE BOMB. Your brother. Creston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mark. It was great to meet you at ICRS. Nice that you have a job that provides so much inspiration for fiction. I'm sure you'd probably rather just write, like the rest of us but it does seem like a really cool job. Les is a great guy. Congrats on the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this interview Mark and Ane. Mark, you are a great example of sticking to it and doing the work required to get there. I am inspired. And yeah, gibberish to delete is superior to the blank page. Going to write some myself right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd bet writing fiction is a GREAT way to release all the "real stuff" that flows through your heart and mind, all in a days work. You're probably one of the "healthiest" detectives around.

    Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Mark. Inspiration to keep with it. I loved The Void. Can't wait to see what you have coming out next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now my biggest struggle is time to write while working full-time. Reading about authors who can just sit at the computer all day writing makes me jealous. It was encouraging to hear that you are still working your normal job and spending time with your family, while writing your novels whenever you can find the time. I also liked your advice on learning the craft. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark had trouble leaving a comment and asked me to pass along his thanks for your comments. He'll try again in a couple of days and see if Blogger will be nice. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.