Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday Devotion- Put Down the Whisk

Janet Rubin

Yesterday I was making tiramisu, a new recipe for me. I’d mixed up some of the ingredients in my Kitchen Aid mixer. Next the recipe instructed me to “whip” some whipping cream, then fold it in. Now, keep in mind that I didn’t grow up with a cooking/baking mom (she was more the restaurant/TV dinner type), but have learned as I go. Soooo, rather than fuss with switching mixing bowls in the mixer, I figured I’d whip up the cream in another bowl. You know, to save myself some trouble.

With a whisk.

It seemed to be taking some time, so I called my friend Lisa to chat and pass the time. As she updated me on the happenings of her household, I whisked harder. The consistency did not seem to be changing. Just how long was this supposed to take? Lisa relayed a story about her pastor. I whisked. Lisa complained about her husband’s snoring. I whisked. Sweat began to bead on my forehead. My bicep burned with the exertion.

“Ow!” I said. “I can’t do this anymore.”

“What on earth are you doing over there?”

“I’m making this dessert and I have to whip the whipping cream so I’m using a whisk…”

“Stop!” At her shout, I nearly dropped the phone. “Just stop what you’re doing right now.”

I looked at the whisk.

“Girlfriend, never try to whip cream with a whisk. Listen to me. Friends don’t let friends use a whisk.”

”I just thought…”

At her insistence, I put the cream in a bowl and the mixer had it whipped into a frenzy in perhaps 30 seconds. Huh. What do ya know?

Many things we can learn by trial and error. But so many times we don’t need to. We can learn from the experience of others. In writing, that means finding mentors, reading books on writing, reading author interviews on Novel Journey (Gina, is it a sin to put a commercial in a devotion?) In our Christian walks it means finding mature Christians to teach us and learning from the many biblical examples God gave us.

We aren’t alone in writing or life. Many have gone before us and learned a wealth of things. Take advantage of their wisdom and experience.

And spare yourself an achy bicep.

Lord, Sometimes I put myself through such trouble because I try to go it alone. What seems easier to me actually results in more work. Thank You for all of the resources You’ve provided to help me grow spiritually and as a writer. Help me be humble enough to ask for the guidance I need. Amen

9 comments:

  1. Amen and amen, sister...I am impressed that you even attempted to make Tiramisu. Wonderful post, my dear...

    Have a cup o'joy,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, tiramisu. I don't think the commercial was a sin, unless you were asking for donations which you would then use to buy yourself a yacht and host debauchery parties.

    Hope your arm has recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. So true. I'd written hundreds of published articles and worked for two New York Times subsidiaries when I started writing fiction. I thought I could transition easily. Wrong. Nonfiction is a different ballgame than fiction (though with some articles fiction techniques are used, such as for Guideposts). So I studied like crazy and took a college fiction writing class for four long years where the multi-published instructor critiqued 10 pp. per class. What a help, to have another set of eyes on my manuscript, and a professional one at that. We need input, like you said--wisdom and experience. I'm grateful. And now, I give back by helping newer writers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. I was discussing my novel (in-progress) with some girlfriends this weekend and lamenting my need for a writing mentor. I totally need someone to help me with technicalities such as whether or not to continue writing it from one POV or switch to multiple POVs ... do I need flashbacks to accomplish my end goal, if so, what does that look like? Aghhh! I read tons of stuff online, but where does one find a mentor? Also, does NJ still critique? I haven't seen a critique in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I found plenty of mentors at writers conferences but even better is a really great critique group. All of mine have been online since I have children and a full-time job, etc. They will help you lots. We're taking a break from the critiques for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post... definately easier to learn from those who have gone before than to figure it all out ourselves. Why reinvent the wheel. :) Thank God He gives us so many role models and spiritual leaders to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha. Great post. Yes, yes, I'm guilty of such silly "shortcuts."

    I've got a great recipe for tiramusu (I can't even spell it) that uses Cool Whip and pudding.

    Tastes pretty good. Maybe not authentic...but...

    I thought I was doing good to split the lady fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,

    Your posts are always enjoyable and thought-provoking. I think we're all guilty of taking shortcuts and ending up in messes of our own making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If anyone is looking for a critique while NJ's on crit vacation, go to www.tinahelmuth.blogspot.com

    She's looking at 1,000-1,500 words on The Ink's Not Dry. Tell her I sent you!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.