Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, July 13, 2007

Christy Awards 2007



The Christy Awards.

I still can't believe we were there. I've been surrounded by CBA authors for several years at different conferences, but having so many in one room at one time was really neat.

Lauren Winner's keynote was inspiring, Michelle McKinney Hammond did a wonderful job introducing everyone and made it clear she wasn't at all bitter that her first novel wasn't nominated.

Executive Director of the Christy's, Donna Kehoe has such a wonderful stage presence. She took the time to personally come up to me and thank the folks of Novel Journey for all we're doing. We'd like to thank her in return for all she's doing to promote excellent Christian fiction through these awards.

What stands out in my mind most about the evening was:
Novel Journey got to interview most of the Christy winners and it was COOL. I mean REALLY COOL. Friends jokingly tell me I'm the Barbara Walters of the CBA and I felt that way as I sat on a leather bench with a beautiful water fountain backdrop, asking whatever question of these lovely authors that popped into my warped mind.

(MaryLu: I really did know the name of your novel was THE REDEMPTION and not Pirates of the Carribean. Beverly: I'm glad your characters weren't telling you to hurt me.
You all get the picture of the fun we had with the authors. )


So often with what we're doing here at Novel Journey, we look around and say, how did we get here? Any day they're going to figure out we're the equivolent of Wayne's World and kick us out. Instead, we're treated like media royalty and loved on in the true spirit of Christ.

If I end up writing for the ABA, I will always have a special love for the CBA because of the people here and their heart for God. They will know us by our love is one of my favorite verses. CBA authors: Your love is so transparent. Not one head had a hard time fitting through the doors to those awards as far as I could tell. You are a truly remarkable bunch and I feel so blessed to call many of you friends.

Another highlight was seeing my friend Dee Stewart who I adore more and more. Her smile lit the room. Ane and I decided to be goofy in a couple of pictures and Dee didn't pretend she didn't know us but played along. (Major brownie points!) There's something to be said about people you can be your goofy self with.

A few other highlights were meeting Randy Alcorn. Safely Home is tied with Redeeming Love and Peace Like a River for my favorite novel of all time. If you haven't read it, oh my, you need to. It's a life-changing experience.

Randy is so unassuming. If you ever get a chance to find out about his ministry, Eternal Perspectives, do. Read his story. It is AMAZING. I want to be like him when I grow up (though I secretly pray I never actually do ... grow up that is.

I got to chat with Austin Boyd, as I've said before, and meet his lovely family. Austin's spirit is so sweet. He's humble and kind, and an enthusiastic cheerleader for others. He has on many occassions sung Novel Journey's praises and we appreciate him. Austin has very exciting projects he's working on. I can't wait to chat with him about them, "on air".

Austin isn't the only one whose spirit I admire. I absolutely love Lisa Samson's work. I think she's genious. But as much as I'm a fan of her work, I'm even more a fan of her. She is kind, down to earth and tender-hearted. It was awesome to chat with her at the Christy's, even if I made a buffoon of myself by discussing undergarments. (Believe me, you don't want to know.)

So much about the evening was magical and again, thanks to Jeane Wynn of Wynn-Wynn media for having Novel Journey there.

Tim Downs








Deanne Gist



















Robin Jones Gunn





















Beverly Lewis

















Tracy Groot





















Jamie Turner

















Keynote: Lauren Winner (author of: Girl Meets God)











Life-Time Acheivment Award recipient, Phyllis Tickle



















Christy Awards Executive Director: Donna Kehoe




















Michelle McKinney Hammond (Emcee for the night)



(Photos courtesy of Wynn-Wynn Media)

2 comments:

  1. Phyllis Tickle said the neatest thing about Christian authors. I have to paraphrase, because someone grabbed my Christy program by mistake (hey, they all looked alike, so I understand), but I had the exact quote written there.

    Anyway, she said, "We've loved working in the fields. We loved the harvest, and we love the Land Owner."

    I pray for the harvest of all our CBA authors and for those who are being light in the darkness of the ABA. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snort. Snort. I want to see a picture of you Novel Journey girls down in the basement with your untucked plaid shirts, torn jeans, and messy hair.

    Please? Don't tease with the Wayne's World joke if you're not willing to add a visual. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.