Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Author Interview ~ Linda Nichols



Linda Nichols, a graduate of the University of Washington, is a novelist with a unique gift for touching readers' hearts with her stories. She is also the author of the acclaimed novels If I Gained the World and At the Scent of Water. She and her family make their home in Tacoma, Washington.

I loved At the Scent of Water. What new book or project do you have coming out?

In Search of Eden came out in February. It’s the story of a restless young woman who decides to find the child she gave up for adoption. All she has to go on is a baby picture of the child and a postmark on a faded envelope. Her search puts her on a collision course with a broken family and their guardian, a police detective who suspects her of being up to no good.

How did you come up with your stories? Is there a specific “what if” moment?

There’s usually a “what if” moment that gets the story started. After that there are many other questions that I ask myself, and answer with varying degrees of success. What kind of person would make this decision? Why would they make it? Who else would be there? And I think the most important questions for plotting are what do they want and what’s keeping them from getting it? If you create lovable characters with flaws and put their hearts’ desires at odds with one another, a good story will follow. Provided you can figure out how to end it!

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I had been writing seriously for about six or seven years when I sold my first book, Handyman. Although I’d been attending a workshop at the community college and had written articles for a local parenting magazine, Handyman was my first completed novel, and I sold it pretty quickly. I sent out query letters and three weeks later had an agent who had sold the movie and publishing rights for what seemed like an overwhelming sum of money to me. The agents involved told me a little about their plans for the movie, and I was more than hesitant. I had seen some of the director’s work and thought it was pretty raw. In fact, I had walked out of one of his movies. When I made the decision to accept their offer I remember thinking, “Well, I guess everyone has their price.”

The next few years were strange. Although we had plenty of money, our family became troubled. By the time God helped relieve us of that money through some financial reversals, I was more than ready to turn back to Him. At that time I began thinking about why God had given me the gift of writing. Things came clear to me one day when I was touched by the words of a song, and a quiet voice reminded me, “Linda, someone wrote that.” I realized then that if I could write for Him it would be a great honor. He’s been gracious enough to allow me to do that. I wouldn’t go back for a million dollars!

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

As a matter of fact, I have struggled a great deal with writer’s block, especially over the last few years. I wish I had an easy answer, but for me the key to moving past it was in a wonderful book by Victoria Nelson, On Writer’s Block. I think the causes of my problems had to do with self-criticism and pressure to produce on a deadline. I still struggle, but I think the key has been to try to approach writing as play, to be gentle on myself as far as criticizing content, to let go of trying to make things perfect, and staying at it instead of quitting when I hit an obstacle. It comes down to faith—believing that if I show up God will help me.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I write in the corner of the bedroom. I’ve tried renting an office and for a while had a writing room, but I really enjoy my little corner the most.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No. For me that’s not helpful at all.

What does a typical day look like for you?

I wish I were different, but when I’m writing hard, I usually get up late and stay up late. I may not start writing until afternoon, but I may write until ten or so at night. Which means I’m too wound up to get to sleep until very late (or early) which virtually guarantees that the next day will be on the same schedule. I also tend not to get out much when I’m writing hard, which in the long run is not good for my mental health. I’d like to build healthier patterns of writing so that life wouldn’t be completely on hold, but that’s an area I struggle with.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

My first writing teacher, Kathy Keller, listened to me tell her that I was a little embarrassed that I didn’t have the desire or apparently the ability to write literary fiction. “I like characters like Andy Griffith, and I can get into a Matlock.” After we shared a laugh she said, “Write your stories, Linda.” Whenever I lose my way as a writer I remember that. I have to write my stories, not the ones I think are going to sell or the ones better left to someone else.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I’d known a couple of things. That publishing is a business, and I shouldn’t take things personally. Also I wish I’d understood that I could spend a lot of money and time and emotional anguish trying to make success happen, but ultimately, it’s God who determines my portion. I also wish I had known that money and success shouldn’t be confused with contentment and fruitfulness.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I’m fortunate to have a wonderful hands-on agent, Theresa Park, and a fantastic marketing team at Bethany House. In conjunction with them, I have a Web site and a newsletter. I occasionally speak to reading groups or women’s groups and do occasional book signings. One new idea we’re pursuing is conducting telephone interviews with reading groups around the country. I believe we’re also planning to give copies of the book to reading groups to see if they would like to choose it as a selection.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Yes, two things, actually. First, I see something like desperation in writers who desire to be published, and although I’m so grateful for the privilege, I would say that having your book published won’t make you happy. It still comes down to the writing process. If you enjoy writing, write. Don’t allow the publishing world’s verdict to determine your joy. Sometimes I think there’s more joy in writing before publication than after. And that’s where the best writing comes from—that well of joy.

Second, I would say, don’t write what you think will sell or what everyone else is writing. Just write your stories.

7 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your parting words. Very wise, I think. Thank you for this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interview, NJ and Linda. Great words of advice. Love this: "That’s where the best writing comes from—that well of joy."

    and

    "Second, I would say, don’t write what you think will sell or what everyone else is writing. Just write your stories."

    Oooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Linda. I too appreciated your parting words. It's true that getting published isn't the end goal and the ultimate happiness factor. It creates a different set of challenges. It's a job, and we have to keep reminding ourselves that is a priviledge, as you said, and remember to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,

    Great interview. I am good friends with your sister Hilary in Issaquah. I remember hearing your Handyman story (great book!) and being inspired. Because I knew someone (through someone) who actually got published, I felt like I could keep on the journey.

    Like you, I can honestly say, publishing doesn't validate my life. (My friend Chip has coined that phrase). I believe only God does that. Publishing is great, but God is so much better. Finding satisfaction and joy in Him is the key.

    And then, as you say, to write the stories He impresses upon you.

    Thanks for stopping by here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your comments about writer's block were insightful. Thanks, I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, thanks for the interview. I've read all but your latest and have enjoyed every one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed In Search of Eden. Great book.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.