Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Author Interview ~ Delia Parr


\
Delia Parr is an award-winning author in the tradition of Jan Karon. She has written 11 previous inspirational and historical novels. After embarking on a journey of faith that took her into the homes of many new readers through her highly regarded Trinity series, she is now exclusively writing inspirational fiction, creating stories that celebrate the love of God for all His people. She lives a dual life, spending the school year teaching high school at her alma mater and writing her books over the summer.

What new book or project do you have coming out?

In June, the second book in the Home Ties series, DAY BY DAY, will be released by Bethany House.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

A number of my friends, also baby boomers, are raising their grandchildren, and I wanted to explore this growing trend through my characters. In DAY BY DAY, three different women who live in Welleswood will be taking responsibility for their grandchildren at a time in their lives when they’re all looking forward to retirement.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I started writing in 1989 and wrote five books before selling EVERGREEN in 1994. I returned home from work one day to find a message on my answering machine to call my agent because she had “good news”. Unfortunately, we wound up playing telephone tag for a few hours, but in the meantime, I called my dentist to cancel my appointment that day because I sure didn’t want to miss the call from my agent when she did get back to me! I was so thrilled when we did talk and I learned I had sold not one, but two books … and my dream of becoming a published author was really coming true.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

I don’t often find myself in total writer’s block, but when I do, I put the book aside and take a long, long walk and try not to think of anything but walking as fast as I can. When I reach a comfortable rhythm, I just let my mind wander to anything and everything other than my writing. By the time I finish, an hour or so later, I usually find that the writer’s block is gone.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I usually write at the beach during the summer. Writing indoors is hard for me. I really like feeling the sun on my head when I’m putting pencil to paper (no computers for me until the sun goes down!).

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I try to write a chapter per day during the week and do some editing over the weekends, unless I have a double deadline. Then I don’t usually take any time off until both books are finished.

What does a typical day look like for you?

A typical day during the school year finds me arriving at our local high school at 6 am to get my classroom ready for the day. I teach social studies to sophomore students, and I devote myself to them from September until June. On the last day of school, I head to the shore for the summer and spend my days at the beach writing. I get to the beach between 7:30 and 8 am and write until late afternoon.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

The best writing advice I’ve heard was to develop a writing pattern that suits my lifestyle. Although I’m sure that writing only a few months a year wouldn’t work for many people, it works well for me.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I had joined a writing organization as soon as I started writing, rather than several years later. I learned so much by joining with other writers!

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I don’t do a lot of marketing on my own, although I do enjoy having my own website.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

The best advice I can give is to write straight from the heart!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Delia, for sharing your journey with us. Writing at the beach must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Delia, for sharing your journey with us. Writing at the beach must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is supposed to be about Delia, but Ane, is that a new picture? I really like it!

    And, Delia? I enjoyed your interview, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to "meet" you, Delia. Thanks, NJ, for the interview. I, too, love the beach. Looking out at the water and waves is so inspirational. But I don't get to stay there, like you do. What a wonderful writing place you have! God bless--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great interivew. Writing at the beach probably wouldn't work for me. It lulled me to sleep in college! But I'd sure like to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed "Abide With Me" and am looking forward to "Day by Day".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Christine. It is a new picture. You know - new hairdo, new photo. LOL Vanity, vanity. All is vanity. snerk.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.