Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Looking back at 2006

Ane Looks Back

This has been a huge year for me, personally. I started reviewing books on Novel Reviews and in April, started interviewing on Novel Journey. I was signed by an agent and elected to the board of ACFW. What a year!

I'd like to share my top three favorite books and advice from interviews from 2006. My favorite book was very difficult to choose, since there were quite a few. But the one that keeps coming to me is Sally John's Castles in the Sand. She tackled a tough subject and did it in a unique way.

With Love, Libby by Roxanne Henke was so good I bought the other 4 books in the series.

By far the best debut novel of the year, to this reviewer, was When the Heart Cries, by Cindy Woodsmall.

Interviewing authors is fascinating for me. Each interview offers a different perspective on this business, yet throughout, some advice remains the same.

I loved what Cindy Woodsmall wrote in her parting words: We all have lives and responsibilities that do NOT have to fit anyone else’s idea of what should be happening with our writing. We are His servants and should not allow other people’s opinions to dampen our joy in who and where we are.

Allison Pittman shared this when asked the best piece of writing advice she'd received: … for writing fiction, I think it’s this: there’s a huge difference between what you (the author) need to know about a character’s back story and what the reader needs to know. Include background information sparingly and judiciously. Make it a part of who the character is now, without necessarily explaining why.

Tamara Leigh's advice was succinct to say the least, and yet it says volumes: Write a lot. Revise even more.

And finally, Craig Parshall says: Have a true, objective sense for how some stranger, who doesn’t know you, will respond to what you have written. Will your creative intentions connect with his/her life experience? Constantly ask yourself – “does this piece of writing really speak truth?”

I'm excited as we enter 2007. For me personally, it's a decade year in my life. No, I won't tell you which decade. Suffice it to say I'm seasoned and wise. (snicker)

May your novel journey reach desired destinations in 2007.

______________________________________________________

Gina Looks Back ...

This year I've finished one book, rewrote another and began yet another. I gave my first in-person instruction to a local writer's group, and welcomed aboard Ane, Jess and our wonderful devotion writer, Janet Rubin.

I've managed to snag the best agent in the world and get shot down at my first (possibly second--long story) trip to a publishing committee. I gave my first non-book signing. My coworkers are so sure I'm going to be famous, they asked me to sign my business cards. It was an uncomfortable and weird experience (yet secretly made me deleriously happy). Which was probably a bad idea because if I ever AM famous,(yes, you have permission to laugh), and those cards ended up on ebay, the things have my home phone and address. Though I guess if I was so famous, I'd probably move to a chateau in the French countryside. I like cheese and stick bread so why not?

My short list of favorite books that I happened to read this year. They are NOT all copyrighted for 2006. (Some are old and some haven't been released yet)

Keep in mind that I'm often limited to books I've agreed to review as time is quite limited. I get about one or two classics in a year. I started two that I was unable to get through but plan to try again: War and Peace (liked it but had piles of books for review beginning to topple so had to put it up) and Possession a Romance: not my cup of tea though Walter Wangerin Jr. insisted I read it and it won the Booker Award so apparently it's just me, but the thing had sentences a page long.(I exaggerate only slightly). I likes me a bit of white space. I do plan to try again though. If Walter says it rocks, then it must rock. Some books you simply have to force yourself through the first few chapters before you're hooked.

Okay, enough small talk, my favorite novels I've read in 2006 are ... (drum roll) ...

1. Peace Like a River (Leif Enger)

Yes, it may be a cliched choice, but I'm not going to let that sway me. I like what I like. So be it if I'm predictable. If you read only one novel, let it be this one. (If you read only three--let the others be Francine Rivers', Redeeming Love and Randy Alcorn's, Safely Home.)

2. When Cricket's Cry (Charles Martin)

I loved the writing from the exquisitely penned first chapter. It took me about halfway through the book before I fell in love with this story but when I fell, I fell hard. Absolutely brilliant. This man writes like an angel. (If they can write well. No idea.)

3. Storm (Jack Cavanaugh & Bill Bright)

This novel had it all. Fabulous descriptions, powerful moral take away, engaging story and I left it having learned a bit about history.

4. A Bigger Life (Annette Smith)

Authentic and powerful. This woman is truly gifted. If you ever think a woman can't nail a man's pov (point of view), ha, you ain't read this baby.

5. Straight Up (Lisa Samson)

Chickey-poo managed to make me laugh and cry within one sentence and I wasn't even pms-ing.

6. The Secret Life of Bees (Susan Kidd Monk)

Okay, so the spiritual theme--some kind of warped Catholacism--had me cringe at times, the overall writing, story and human nature exploration made me glad I gave it a shot. Wonderful storytelling.

7. House (Peretti & Dekker)

This one got some pretty rough reviews but I loved it. It was unusual and entertaining.

8. Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man (Claudia Mair Burney)

Though a romantic mystery which wouldn't normally move me, Mair has a way of cutting through the crap, getting real and making me laugh. I absolutely see this woman winning major awards someday. First novels are usually eh, but not in this case. Watch this woman, she's going to be huge.

9. By the Time You Read This (Giles Blunt)

An ABA novel, this one was well written and managed to engage me in a storyline few authors would be able to keep my attention with. He didn't use profanity, graphic sex or gimmicks and managed to keep the cliches out. The ending was clever. Clever--me likey. Be warned however, it is quite dark in a brooding, every character is depressed, kind of way.

10. Head Games (Tim Downs)

Just a really well written psychological thriller. I particulary liked the unusual way the story began: with an author illustrated suicide note. Very cool.


Okay, so what factors did these novels have that caused them to make my list? They were well written, they were interesting, they had universal appeal because the author was brave enough to be authentic, and most changed me in some small or big way.

INTERVIEWS

There were so many good interviews this year and I hesitate to highlight any above the others because each taught me something, inspired me and made me feel I wasn't alone in my writerly quirks, hopes and insecurities, but since Ane held an iron against my forehead until I agreed, (don't worry, it was off at the time), the two that stand out most are:

1. Chip MacGregor (Literary agent turned assosciate publisher, turned literary agent). ~This has nothing to do with the fact he's my agent.~ Receiving his answers to my interview questions was like ordering a burger and grape soda and being served a filet mignon and Dom Perignon. The knowledge he shared was over the top excellent. I don't have to tell you though, you read it.

2. T. Davis Bunn How reassuring is it to know it wasn't his first, second, fourth, or even sixth novel that earned him his first publishing contract? He also gave some incredibly practical advice and inspired the heck out of me.


Happy New Year everyone. Thank you all for your support. We greatly appreciate your input, friendship and comments. May God continue to bless you through 2007. I hope you'll share your favorites of 2006 or perhaps some writing-related goals for the upcoming new year? We'd love that.

6 comments:

  1. And if she didn't agree, I was going to turn that iron on! ;o}

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if I STILL didn't agree, she'd consider plugging it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed a Novel Journey fix like, real bad, today! It's been a week! Family Christmas activities kept me away. Wonderful, but I'm glad to get back to my fav blogs.

    Loved both of your "Looks Back", Ane and Gina. You've given us some fabulous interviews. I've been inspired and encouraged this past year as I've read writers' journeys. Thank you so much!

    Have a happy new year, and may God bless you richly, is my prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished reading a week's worth of posts. Whew, I'm better now! (grin)

    All were invigorating, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, and we've had our fix of Kristy encouragement. My twitching has stopped. May God bless you in abundance this upcoming year too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proud of you, little buddies.

    You girls are beyond helpful, sweet, smart and a little scary. Me likey scary.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.