Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Associate Publisher Interview ~ Chip MacGregor, Part I


Jerry Chip MacGregor (note the lack of “ ” on either side of Chip) is an Associate Publisher with the Hachette Book Group USA, formerly the Time Warner Book Group. He oversees the editorial function for two imprints, Warner Faith and Center Street. The former is the line of Christian books produced in the US by Hachette, the latter is the “heartland” publishing initiative for the company, offering fiction and nonfiction books that reflect the values of middle America.

Chip would like to think he is notorious in Christian publishing circles for being (a) a snappy dresser, (b) an insightful critic of writing and books, and (c) an international bon vivant. In reality, he’s a bit of a pain. Many know him for being a successful literary agent for years with Alive Communications – a place where he represented such luminaries as Brennan Manning, Michelle McKinney Hammond, Lisa Beamer, and dozens of others. Others recognize the name from having spoken at more than a hundred Christian writers conferences (clearly the man has too much time on his hands).

What you might not know is that Chip comes from an immigrant family (his grandparents came over from Scotland), grew up in Witch Hazel, Oregon, in a household where neither of his parents went to high school, and was the first person in his family to ever graduate from college. He was first published at the age of 8 (a letter to the editor), got his first real job in publishing while he was in college (copy editor for Clearing, a magazine for junior high science teachers), graduated with a Master’s degree from Talbot Seminary, and did his doctoral work at the University of Oregon (Go Ducks!). He has authored about three dozen books with his own name on the cover, another couple dozen with someone else’s name on the cover, about 40 Bible study guides, and been a contributor or general editor for many other projects. After making his living as a writer, he began working with other writers as an editor, then as an agent, and he maintains a keen interest in the mentoring of Christian writers around the country.

[That’s pretty much the official story. Can I give you some other details? I’ve been married to Patti for 24 years, God help her. I’ve got two kids in college at Seattle Pacific University, and another about to go to college. I love Shakespeare, baseball, reading great novels, and card magic. My books have hit #1 in their category on the bestseller lists three times. I enjoy all things history, and currently have a book contract with Random House to do a book on the medieval church from an organizational development perspective.


One of the things that is so striking about you, (besides your good looks, amazing fashion sense and obvious genius), is your blatant honesty. Does speaking your mind get you into as much trouble as it seems it would?

Yes and no. Some people (many people) seem to be fans, and send me nice notes on occasion, like when they’ve gone off their meds or had too much to drink. Others clearly do NOT like me. Especially nice church ladies who can’t understand why I’d say that a book is bad or a writer has done a terrible job. They’re entitled to their opinion. But something those in the industry know is that I rarely get upset when someone disagrees with me. This is a business, and I treat it as such. If somebody wants to disagree, they’re entitled to do so. And they’ll find I can take it. But the funny thing is, most who disagree never actually write to me. Instead, they write to others, and make subtle remarks about my character, because they don’t have the brains or the balls to be biblical and confront me.

Too bad. I learned long ago that there’s nothing I can do about rumors (and I’ve had my share). So for all the noise and hoopla surrounding my thoughts, careful readers will see I’m always trying to do the same thing: help writers improve by pointing out the things I believe to be true and the lessons I’ve learned.

However, yeah, sometimes I get into trouble. For example, I happen to think Jim Dobson is a guy who did a lot of important things for the Christian community in this country. Back in the days when he was the face of evangelicalism, he was doing good stuff, and getting people to talk about important issues. At the same time, I’ve offered the occasional criticism (let’s face it: the man can be a tad bit sensitive; he’s no biblical scholar, so his attack on Zondervan’s NIrV was astoundingly stupid; and I thought BRINGING UP BOYS was flabby, redundant, and out of touch – nothing more than a means of making money on his good name). But when I shared some criticisms of his book at a Christian writers’ conference in California several years ago, somebody sent him the tape. He had -- (well…that may be too strong…I don’t have any direct evidence Jimbo actually set this in motion) – SOMEHOW, by some unknown means, one of his henchmen at Focus on the Family called me on the phone to berate me. For what? Criticizing his stupid book? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?


I mean, you’re telling me that Jim Dobson is sitting there amidst his millions of dollars and numerous real estate holdings, and he’s concerned because Chip MacGregor offered a criticism of a book that he didn’t even write? Give me a flippin’ break. I called the guy a moron and hung up.

Oh, and the story doesn’t end there. After sharing that story in print one time, I had several people write to me to offer criticism – not of Dobson and his band of merry men, but critical of me for daring to say something negative about Saint Jim. So, yes, I occasionally get some heat. But nothing I can’t take. I’m a critic – a critic of books and writing, and particularly of Christian books and Christian writers. Don’t we need critics to offer some perspective and advice now and then?

Um… I should add one thing: If I spent a lot of time complaining about all the criticism I get, I’d be crying wolf. I don’t get that much. Sometimes my employers have been unhappy when I’ve said something about an author they’d like to work with. And I certainly have my faults: I suffer fools badly. I can be too caustic. I’m occasionally wrong. But I really do think I’m helping move us forward, even if it’s only in a small way.

One of the debates in Christian book review circles is a lack of harsh reviews of CBA books. Should Christian authors be brutally honest when we review other Christian authors?

One of the things I noticed several years ago is that the world of Christian publishing had become awfully “nice.” Nobody ever got a bad review, even if the book in question was clearly a hunk o’ dung. I remember reading this very polite review for a CBA novel about ten years ago – I read the novel, but the only way I could finish the stupid thing was to tear out the pages I’d read and light them on fire, in hopes that occasionally sticking my hand into the flames would keep me awake. Mourn the trees that died so this tome could see print.

That experience made me wonder…why can’t we be honest? I mean, how are we ever going to get better as Christian writers if we feel the Lord is somehow calling us to be eternally nice? I’d suggest that many of the Old Testament prophets helped the culture make strides not by being nice, but being honest – even blunt. Ditto Paul. Ditto Jesus, for that matter (take a peek at his criticisms of the upstanding church leadership of His day). Okay, I understand that we sometimes do a nice review to help a book sell. Or to pay back a friend who said something nice on our own book. Or because we can’t think of anything else to say. Fine. But where does that author go to get better?

Think of it this way: Let’s say we have this nice young novelist who has just published her first book with Heartsong Presents. It’s a genre romance (Daphne meets Buck. They fall in love. Buck, who is as stupid as his name would suggest, misunderstands something and they quarrel. The romance is off. Then the fire breaks out and threatens Daphne’s barn. Buck comes to the rescue. They both are too stupid to realize they’re just characters in a trite novel, so they fall back into love again. They move into each other’s arms. There is an ellipsis in which nonChristian readers will assume they’re going to have sex. And the story wraps up with everyone tired but happy.)


Okay. She (the author, not Daphne, who is busy having an ellipsis with Buck) gets her book reviewed in a couple places. The reviews all say, “It’s lovely.” Her friends at church are impressed. She gets to sign copies at her local Christian Book Store (which is no doubt having a sale that week on Thomas Kinkade Napkins and Precious Moments Soap-on-a-Rope). She gets to hold it up at Glorietta and have all the wannabe’s fawn over her.

So…how does Ms Novelist improve her craft? I mean, everybody is telling her that she’s suddenly a genius. She starts posting opinions on Chi Libris and the WritersView. Pretty soon she is mistaking her inexperience as experience; substituting immaturity for maturity. And she moves on to sharing her weakness with everyone as though it were a strength. (Think that ain’t happening? Take a look at the writing experience of some of the experts.) I’m just trying to point out Ms Novelist needs to have a dose of reality. She needs somebody who is a bit farther down the path to suggest to her that she’s not All That.


So I think part of my job, part of the responsibility I have to the industry, is to try and help Miz N improve. That means I get to be honest. And I should point out that I long ago stopped reviewing books for magazines, newspapers, web sites, and other places that are basically marketing venues. I never try to torpedo anyone’s book, so you won’t find a bunch of toasty reviews I’ve created in trade magazines. It is NOT my job to harm someone’s book sales. If Christian Retailing and Publishers Weekly want to give the book solid reviews, then I think that’s great for the author’s sales. My comments ALWAYS take place in venues that are followed by writers, NOT by the general reading public. (In fact, my ego stays in check by reminding the rest of my brain that, outside of the very small audience that is Christian writers, nobody really knows who I am.)

So what’s the harm in being honest? Even brutally honest? Can’t we all admit we’ve got stuff to learn? I read books about writing regularly, because I really want to improve my craft. I listen when somebody I respect talks writing – a Cec Murphey, a Doc Hensley. I even listen to writers I used to represent, because I represented some good people, and I love hearing what they have to say – a Mary DeMuth, a Julie Barnhill, a Keri Kent. I figure if I’m going to be an opinionated loudmouth, that’s okay so long as I can back it up. But that means I really need to be teachable, or I’ll turn into nothing more than a pompous ass.

What does an associate publisher do? (Or in your case what should you be doing?)


As Associate Publisher, my job is to coordinate the editorial function for the Nashville offices of HBG/USA. I’m in charge of the acquisitions process for all the books we publish, so I’m regularly identifying and chasing authors and ideas we need to pursue, looking for areas where we can grow. I implement company policies and try to give strategic direction to our list. I oversee the list, the budget, the personnel, and the processes in the editorial department. When I arrived, our office wasn’t very strong with our systems. Now we’ve got great people in place and our systems seem to have been smoothed out.

I hire (and occasionally fire) editors, train the staff, and make sure the Editorial Assistants are moving forward in their careers. I do some editing and copy writing, and I try to stay in touch with some of our key authors and agents, as well as connect our office to our marketing, sales, and managing editorial departments. I go to lots of meetings and drink an inordinate amount of coffee. Right now I’m part of a strategic planning group out of New York that is moving our company forward technologically by exploring new ideas and systems that can help us do our jobs more effectively.

But, in all fairness, most of the work gets done not because of me but because of the people who work in editorial with me. This is no false modesty – I’ve got people around me who are great, and who routinely make me look good. In my opinion, the editors we have at Hachette Book Group are as strong as any set of editors anywhere.

Can you explain the process a publishing board goes through in deciding to publish a book?


To be continued tomorrow ...

28 comments:

  1. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Part 2 to be posted -- although I've decided to give up writing and pursue the life of an international bon vivant, which sounds like a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I want the rest of the interview NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

    Chip had me rivetted. Wow. The guy has chutzpah. I like that.

    (And he's right about some of our brethren who get "important" and take themselves too seriously for anyone's spiritual good.)

    The Daphne and Buck analysis cracked me up. I guarantee that ticked off a few peeps.

    Mir<--who already knows she's not "all that", but sure would like to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JM, did you say bon-bon? I like bon-bons. :)

    Mir

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ho-hum. If Chip would only say what's really on his mind...

    It's always fun (and encouraging) to hear Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Jerry . . . ah, sorry, Chip. We definitely need more honesty.

    Can't wait to read the rest of this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness gracious! It'll take at least a full day to get my panties out of this dreadful bunch. Such honesty is, well, exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, Does Novel Journey offer some kind of support or counseling to help us sensitive readers work through all of this disturbing truth-stuff?
    I love it. Amen to honesty! So refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On Saturday, Gina said, "If there's one interview we've done this year you shouldn't miss, it's this one."

    Chuck, I mean, Chip, you've certainly given me some food for thought. My heart pounded as I read this interview. I like your honesty, but I LOVE Dr. Dobson. I don't like your use of what I was taught are dirty words. Reading this, I'm reminded of the verse in Revelation that talks about being hot or cold but NOT lukewarm. Well, you're not cold and you're not lukewarm. You are hot in your opinions.

    And I'm not sure how I feel that.

    However, after reading Part 1, I am palavering at the mouth for Part 2. Just looked up the spelling for that and found out it's not the word I'm looking for. I guess I meant "foaming." "Palavering" means "talking idly."

    Maybe that's what you're doing.

    I'm not sure.

    But I want to read more.

    Man, I'm brave to hit Login and Publish, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe my reaction has something to do with the fact that I view myself as Kristy Pollyanna or Kristy Christy, the title of my blog post today.

    But just to be sure you understand my sentiments, I DID enjoy reading YOUR sentiments. They're making (present tense cuz it's still going on) making me do some deep thinking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This rates a triple E on my E meter, something I made up just now.

    Entertaining
    Enlightening
    Evocative (or even better, Provocative, which makes "EEP")

    Gina, you're right. Already the best interview of the year (and I've been interviewed here, so, you know, yeah).

    And Chip, you're right. About so many things....

    (I'll never read ellipses the same again--thanks for spicing up those little dots.)

    Writerly blessings abound.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About time someone challenged the pansy status quo of CBA. I'm not surprised that Chip hails from Oregon--we didn't pioneer the Northwest by being kiss-ups!

    Can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Associate Publisher with the Hachette Book Group. Homonymnal irony at its jolliest.

    You forgot to mention that you're tall, Chip. Otherwise, good job. Time to go donate all my blue denim jumpers to Good Will and hang out with a some homeless gays. See you at Part Deux.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome. Encouraging. Refreshing. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You want honesty? I'll give you honesty. You're scarey, Chip. But how can I not love the heart of a man who turns his back on the scrim of surface-righteousness and exposes his deep desire to be a God-lover.

    Truth might sometimes hurt, but I welcome a personal email explaining the twelve reasons you hated my book. (Of course, I'll have to get published first.) But opinions mean more coming from someone who knows what he's talking about.

    Gina, I must say I admire you. Thanks for sharing the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that's what I love! A Christian in publishing not afraid to tell the truth.

    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

    Awesome interview. Can't wait till part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chip, I've told you this privately but wanted to say it publicly. You rock. Your honesty is refreshing as always. And I hope everyone catches the time and effort you put into this with no payoff to yourself. Your heart to mentor writers is so admirable.

    Give me a C! etc. too lazy to finish the cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edifying...
    Encouraging...
    Exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, Chip, if those Heartsongs are so bad and those sweet mild Love Inspired romances, why do they sell so well? There is a market for them. So let the market decide, uh, Capitalism? Maybe you've heard of it?

    And you of all people know how hard it is for an author to break into publishing and HP and LI are the primary publishers of first time authors. They're great about that, and a lot of excellent, even edgy authors you probably like, got their start with these sweet little romances. So let's at least give them some credit.
    There are plenty of edgy Christian books out there today. Can't we at least leave a few places on this planet where a conservative Christian lady can read a love story with ellipses instead of Triple X's?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great, honest interview. Looking forward to part 2. Thanks Chip and Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "a book on the medieval church from an organizational development perspective"
    --I have to hear more about this!

    You cracked me up: "the only way I could finish the stupid thing was to tear out the pages I’d read and light them on fire, in hopes that occasionally sticking my hand into the flames would keep me awake. Mourn the trees that died so this tome could see print."

    Gina, great interview. Looking forward to part two!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't imagine what to say that hasn't already been said but wanted to send up one more cheer.

    I agree with Martika, Kristy, R.K., Domino, Mary, Ruth, Gina...did I leave anyone out?

    Chip, I think you speak truth but you also speak your opinion in such a way that one might believe it is supposed to be truth. That's the "hot" part and that's okay. It's good to know you are willing to do that.

    The variety in response simply demonstrates the variety in readers and more importantly, the variety in Christ-followers, which I think is how it should be. Paul and Barnabas parted ways because they had differences in opinion as to how to proceed but both went forth preaching Christ. We each find His truth in our own way in our time and He speaks to me differently than He speaks to you. As long as we end up in eternity together, which is His ultimate objective, it's probably okay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There really isn't anythign left to say. Y'all said it all. But I laughed, I gasped and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's part II.

    I agree, Chip rocks (or is that rock chips?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Skip, I mean Chip, you have all these people fooled into thinking you're such a nice person. In reality, you're a wannabe Asian chick-lit writer. That's not to say I wouldn't go to a seedy karaoke bar with you again.

    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm cracking up! Love your insights, Chip.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was MercyMe, not Smitty, thank you very much. And you sang THREE songs, you ham. Practically had to wrestle the mic away from the 70-year-old woman doing the Britney Spears impersonation (dancing and all).
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Give me a break! Honest? Telling the truth? How can you all praise the man for stating his opinion? I mean, do you think he seriously KNOWS "most evangelicals" so that what he has to say about "them" is so filled with before-silenced truth?

    All I can say is, he doesn't know the folks in my church.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Chip was being honest as he sees it. I didn't assume he was talking about me or my church or my friends in denim jumpers.

    I appreciate someone in the industry who isn't afraid to speak his mind, particularly when there is nothing to be gained by him.

    I respect that. I don't have to agree with everything a person says to appreciate them or their heart.

    Everyone has had different life experiences that color their views. Chip's have colored his. Yours have colored yours. I'm glad we can share our opinions on both sides of the fence and reach over it at the end of the day and shake.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.