Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Welcome Guest Blogger ~ Robin Lee Hatcher

Robin Lee Hatcher began writing her first novel in 1981 and saw it published, with all its imperfections in tact, in 1984. Fifteen years and thirty books later, she followed God's call on her heart to write Christian fiction. In October 2006, her 50th book was released. A Carol for Christmas is a story about the desires of the heart and how God wants to change and use them for His glory.





Thanks for inviting me to guest blog on Novel Journey. I'm delighted to be here.

I was asked if I would write a short piece on characterization, which I'm delighted to do since it's the characters, rather than plot, that drive my stories.

When I start a new novel, I don't always have one of those wonderful full-blown ideas waiting in the wings. Or sometimes I have nothing more concrete than, "I want to tell the story of four women friends on the home front during WWII." (That was where I began with The Victory Club.) If that's the situation, usually I go to my baby name books and start looking for the names of my characters. I don't know why this works for me, but it does. When I come across just the right names? I know them when I see them. I envision them in my mind, and little by little, they tell me who they are and what's about to happen to them.

After my story idea begins to gel and expand and sometimes after I've written a few chapters I stop to write the first person autobiographies of my main characters, telling their history from birth to the time my novel opens. These autobiographies are written in stream-of-consciousness mode, meaning I don't stop to edit or think or analyze. Thinking and analyzing get in the way at this point. This is a time for my creativity to come out and play. No rules apply. I have fun with them

An opening might begin something like this:

My name is Sarah Johnson and I was born in Denver in 1892. My mother was just a girl of sixteen and unmarried. She was in love, but the man who fathered me didn't feel the same way. When she got pregnant, her parents threw her out on the street. She never saw them again.

My mother found work as an actress with a traveling theater company, and my early years were spent sitting backstage, watching shows while sitting on big wooden trunks. Sometimes I napped in piles of old costumes or curtains.

I write these autobiographies in long hand rather than on the computer. It seems to work better for me. I keep going like that for about five pages or so. Some are much longer, some shorter. It all depends upon the character. I listen for the particular voice of the character, too, hearing their perfect diction or their atrocious accents or other speech patterns.

Most of what I write will never make it into my novel. Some of it will have to be modified. Perhaps my story must take place in 1925 for some reason, but I need Sarah to be younger than 33. So I will change the year she was born.

However, the main purpose of writing these autobiographies is to create the back story of my characters. We are all the sum total of what has happened to us in the past. We behave as we do because of what happened to us last month, last year, and when we were children. If I know my characters intimately, if I know that when Sarah was five she was in a runaway wagon and that when she was nine she saw an actor fall of the stage and die, then I will know how she will react when certain things happen to her in my novel. Her actions will ring true because she will not behave out of character. I am aware of her history and her motivations.

Of all the tools that I use as a novelist, writing first person autobiographies of my characters is the most vital. When I come to know my characters intimately, then my readers can know them that way, too.

It can be tricky to create deep characterization in novellas, which is why a couple of the reviews I've received for A Carol for Christmas pleased me so much. Dale Lewis of Hope to Home said, "Hatcher builds deep characters within a limited number of pages." Ane Mulligan of Novel Reviews said, "I'm in awe at how Hatcher can build such deep characterization into a short novella."

I hope you'll read and enjoy A Carol for Christmas as much as those two reviewers. Please stop by my Write Thinking blog where I am running a little "thank you contest" for readers until November 18th.

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season. May you feel Christ's presence throughout.

In the grip of His grace,
Robin Lee Hatcher

Web site
Blog



Ane here. To be entered to win a copy of A Carol for Christmas, leave a comment for Robin.


A Carol for Christmas
Robin Lee Hatcher
Zondervan
ISBN 0-310-25776-X

Never underestimate the true spirit of Christmas

Carol Burke was born to sing. It was the life she had always dreamed of. There was only one thing she loved more, one person for whom she would willingly sacrifice her dreams: Jonathan Burke. Married against their parents' wishes, both are determined to make a life together despite the hardships. Jonathan works hard at his father's department store, leaving Carol alone in their tiny apartment. But long hours turn into late nights, thanks to Jonathan's insatiable desire to prove himself to his father ? even at the expense of the one he loves best.

Into the midst of an increasingly empty marriage comes an unexpected chance for Carol to sing again. Is this the opportunity of a lifetime, or a time for her to let go and trust her future to God? Carol knows one thing: she longs most of all to share her first Christmas with Jonathan, creating their own memories and traditions and breathing new life into their marriage.

Then a broken promise leaves her wondering. Can anything, anyone—even God—heal her crumbling hopes? The answer comes when Carol finds herself face-to-face with the true spirit of Christmas.

To read a review of A Carol for Christmas, click here.



11 comments:

  1. Thank you, Robin, for the idea of writing character autobiographies in long-hand. I'm so glad I read this today!

    I'm writing my first novel for NaNoWriMo and feel like I need to get to REALLY know my characters before I can work out this plot. Yet I have so little time to write (five kids, ten and under).

    But now I'm going to try what you said -- I can take a notebook with me in the car (while waiting in the pick-up line) or to the playground and journal out autobiographies by longhand while watching my kids play. I think this will help me figure out what direction the plot will take.

    I'd love to read A Carol for Christmas! Looks like a great book to add to my Christmas wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first person autobiographies are a great idea. To actually put all that down on paper before you ever start your novel is a great way to begin. Thanks for reminding us of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Robin, for the great character advice! I knew you'd have super stuff for us, and you didn't disappoint! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Robin. I am glad to heaer that much of what you write never makes it into the book.
    I guess that is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a good idea. I'm also doing NaNo for the first time and 8 chapters in, I'm wondering why my character would do certain things. Autobiographies would help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books with real, deep characters - that's the kind of book that I'll read again and again. I like the advice about getting to know your characters - good idea to write their autobiographies. I think I'll work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love her books. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of doing that. I'm going to give it a whirl. What a neat tip. Thanks Robin! (and Ane)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL..Robin you seem to be everywhere I go...You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip about first person autobios, Robin. I'm about to start working on edits of my novel, One Smooth Stone,coming out in Sept. 07 - I want to "beef up" the main character and I think this will help me to do it. Thanks!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. what wonderful advice!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.