Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Author Interview ~ Tamara Leigh


Tamara Leigh began writing romance novels to “get the stories out of her head.” Over the course of one providential year, she gave birth to her first child, committed her life to Christ, gave up a career in speech pathology, and released her first novel. Her first seven novels earned awards and became national bestsellers, but Tamara was dissatisfied that the stories were not God-honoring. In 2003 she determined to write books that more directly represented her faith. Tamara and her husband, David, live with their two young sons in Tennessee .

What new book or project would you like to tell us about?


Good question! That would be PERFECTING KATE, due out in January, 2007 from Multnomah. It’s the story of a woman who becomes so caught up in her physical appearance that she ends up in dire need of a spiritual makeover. Here’s a peek:

Just when thoroughly disillusioned Kate Meadows resolves to embrace singledom and be unbelievably, inconceivably happy--and not for the first time—it’s raining men. Hallelujah! Or not....

First, there’s the enigmatic Dr. Clive Alexander who, despite his insistence Kate is perfect just the way she is, can’t help but notice her attempts at self improvement. And approve. Then there’s Michael, the make-up artist who’s determined to bring Kate’s looks up to his standards. Whether she likes it or not. And behind door number three... That would be ex-fiancé, Christopher. Despite having jilted Kate years earlier, turns out he’s still in love with her. In his own warped way.

So what’s a single, thirty-ish woman to do? Withdraw her support from her church’s doughnut ministry, stick to easy-fit jeans, and resign herself to spinsterhood? Or take one last chance on finding The One? It’s a tough call, and if Kate’s going to get it right, it looks like she’ll have to jumpstart her stalled relationship with God.

(To read a review of Perfecting Kate, click here.)

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I’ve always loved writing, though not until my husband and I began planning for children did I seriously pursue the dream that would allow me to remain home and raise our family.

As for the actual journey to publication, it was something of a whirlwind romance. In 1993, two weeks after sending the revised manuscript of WARRIOR BRIDE to my agent, Bantam Books offered me a four-book contract. The news came via an early morning phone call from the publisher and—Let me tell you!—I could not wait to get off the line so I could dance around the room and whoop and holler.

But it gets better. A few hours later, I received another call, this one confirming my pregnancy which had been a long time in coming. That one floored me. And it still does, especially when my “almost thirteen-year-old” son sits still long enough for me to look into his face and reflect on the day I first learned of the blessing he was to be to my husband and me.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Hello! I am the QUEEN of worry, complete with nail biting, the occasional tic, and a plethora of “what ifs”. Starts something like: What if I can’t really write this?, transitions to What if the creative well runs dry and all I bring up is dust?, progresses to What if the readers hate this one?, slides into What if I’m never offered another book contract? Ends on What if my career is over?! Fortunately, prayer helps me get a grip.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Oh, yeah. One of those times (there were a few), I wrote STEALING ADDA, my first inspirational, á la chic lit romance—a very long way from the seven medieval romances I’d previously had published. God really does work in mysterious ways.

What mistakes did you make while seeking a publisher or agent?

Mistakes… Do I really have to answer that? Okay, let me count the ways. Mistake #1: Jumping in feet first and not educating myself on the market. Mistake #2: Not seeking out organizations like American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writers of America until after the fact. Mistake #3: Taking advice from those who weren’t qualified to offer it. Mistake #4… No. I can’t bear to go on.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve received is to make time for reading the works of others. It’s easy to become so caught up in your own writing that you forget to read that which first gave you a passion for the craft. Recently, I discovered ON BECOMING A NOVELIST by the late John Gardner. Though I’m only halfway through the book, his advice and insight into a writer’s life are eye-opening. A real “keeper”.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

Let me count the ways— No, we won’t do that again. The one piece of advice that I really could have done without was when I was advised to switch publishers in order to acquire an “in-house” editor as opposed to the one I had who worked from her home. The grass is NOT always greener. If you have a good editor, count yourself blessed and build on that relationship.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I wouldn’t call it a peeve, but it does bother me when I’m at a booksigning and another writer monopolizes my time to get advice on breaking into the field, plotting, point of view, etc. I love to share, but after delivering on the advice and offering to sign a book for my fellow writers, on several occasions I’ve had them turn up their noses and tell me they don’t read “that” kind of book. What? Other cheek. Other cheek! Yep, it’s happened. In fact, I fictionalized one such encounter in STEALING ADDA.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

That goes back to the mistakes I made in seeking a publisher/agent. Refer to question above…

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

Umm…yes. Share? No. Just kidding. Following the release of my seventh book, BLACKHEART, which was written with a sequel in mind (and for which I’d been given verbal approval), the publisher decided that the story of a head-injured heroine didn’t hold enough appeal. Thus, I often receive reader mail asking me about Alaiz’s story, and some of that mail is rather aggressive—as in how dare I leave them hanging! So sorry.

The book definitely ended on the note of a sequel to come, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. And, yes, this was one of those times I quit writing—and, a month later got the itch and started penning STEALING ADDA. It had to have been a “God thing”.

What are a few of your favorite books?

The RED TENT by Anita Diamant is right up there. I was reluctant to read this book, though it was recommended over and over. Finally, I gave it a try and could not put it down. A fairly recent discovery is the “Fred” series by Brad Whittington: WELCOME TO FRED, ESCAPE FROM FRED, and LIVING WITH FRED. Wonderful!

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I’m very pleased with STEALING ADDA and PERFECTING KATE. Both have placed me in the inspirational market where, I believe, God was moving me even though I kept ignoring the nudge.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Galatians 6:4-5, The Message: “Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.”

Enough said!

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Once our boys return to school in late summer, I typically write five days a week from eight-thirty in the morning until two-thirty in the afternoon. Due to the commute involved in getting our children to school, I often stay in the area and write at one of two Starbucks. Hey! Don’t knock it. Those Caramel Macchiatos are worth every dime. If I had to rent an office for writing, the cost would far exceed what I pay Starbucks to keep me in coffee and tea. And you certainly can’t beat having someone else make the drink for you.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I try to write 1,000 words a day. Some days I make it and even exceed 1,000. Other days, I hit far below. This may sound compulsive, but when I start a book, I calculate the number of “school” days (family time is a priority!) before it’s due at the publisher, then divide that into the word count I’m aiming for. That gives me the minimum number of “net” words I need to write each day to finish the manuscript. I just LOVE it when my weekly average exceeds the minimum, as it allows me to coast from time to time and accept lunch offers, etc.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

Definitely an SOTP writer, meaning I’m also a groaner—as in, do I really have to write a synopsis? Those publishers!

What author do you especially admire and why?

Hmm. Non-fiction wise, as mentioned earlier, I’m impressed with John Gardner and his book ON BECOMING A NOVELIST. Fiction-wise, there are quite a few, but one that sticks out is Jasper Fforde who has written a series of “over the top” books featuring a detective heroine named Thursday Next. In an alternate universe, Thursday enters works of classic literature (i.e. Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Hamlet) and embarks on adventures with the heroes and heroines. The first book in the series is THE EYRE AFFAIR.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Favorite: What I affectionately term “The OOB”, or Out Of Body experience (I know…I know…) that I enjoy when the final keystrokes are put to a story and I’ve made the lives of two people (fictional, I know) complete.

Least Favorite: The Dreaded Synopsis (see SOTP question above)

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

While in the secular market, my advertising/marketing guru husband helped me promote my medieval romances with bookmarks, postcards, posters, contests, and magazine advertising. Though I believe these types of marketing impact a book’s sales, we’re taking it easier in the inspirational market in order to preserve our family time. Thus, STEALING ADDA was released to the tune of blog interviews, book giveaways, and booksignings. Favorite part of marketing? That would be the end result, which is hearing from readers.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Write a lot. Revise even more.

9 comments:

  1. Great interview, Tamara. I'm ordering your book. It sounds wonderful.

    You said, "Write a lot. Revise even more."

    Reminds me of, "Good writing is rewriting."

    I wish you the best. God bless--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, thank you for the sharing your journey with us. I'm a big fan of your writing and appreciate your advice. Yeah ... even the "revise even more" part (sigh) as I face my rewrite task. ;o) It'll be worth it in the end. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamara,
    Thanks for sharing your advice and your experiences with the rest of us!
    I'm finding that "revise even more" is true, but it's always great to hear
    a more accompmlished author validate it. And I love how you found out about
    both of your babies on the same day!
    Tina


    www.tinaannforkner.blogspot.com
    (Interview With Novel Journey still up today)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview, Tamara. I absolutely LOVED Stealing Adda and am really looking forward to reading Perfecting Kate.

    Ruth
    www.xanga.com/christianfictionqueen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check out Tamara's book, as I loved the interview. I've always thought that writing would be a great career to have at home while raising my family, and can't wait to do that in a few years when my fiance and I are married and he's done school. Also loved the part about writing in Starbucks - definately inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo, Tamara! Thanks for the good words. So, do guys actually read your books? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun interview! Can't wait to read these books. I love this quote:
    Tamara Leigh began writing romance novels to “get the stories out of her head.”

    ooohh...I can relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks for all of the nice comments, gals and...uh...guy (yes, from time to time I do hear from a "guy" who's enjoyed one of my tales). Well, off to Starbucks :) Have a very blessed day, all!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.