Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday Devotional ~ Escaping the Maze

by Janet Rubin

Every autumn my teenaged daughter accompanies her church youth group to a local corn maze. For those who live in corn-deprived parts of the country and may not know, a corn maze is created by cutting a pattern into a corn field after harvest. Full of twists, turns, and dead ends, the goal is to wander around until you find your way out. The empty stalks are taller than the average person, so once inside, you’re pretty much like a rat in a science lab trying to navigate blindly.


The maze activities are overseen by “Corn Cops” who ensure that the corn maze rules are followed (i.e. no busting through the corn stalks to try and get out.) More importantly, the corn cops are there to come to the aid of people who simply can’t find their way out.

When I’m writing a story, I sometimes feel like I’m in a maze. I follow one plot path after another, only to hit dead ends. Frustration builds and fear sets in—maybe there is no way out! I feel like giving up, like I’m stuck in a story that has no end.

But I’ve recently discovered that in the writing community, we have something akin to corn cops. I’m talking about friends who are willing to brainstorm your story with you. I guess I used to have the notion that to be a “real” writer you had to come up with every idea yourself or else it would be like taking credit for someone else’s thoughts.

However, I’ve met more and more writers—even established novelists—who, when they are stumped, take advantage of brainstorming, a process where two or more people toss out ideas about where the story will go next. Often others, who are not in the middle of your story, can see more clearly than you. They’ll come up with things you’d never considered. Things that’ll help you find your way to “The End.”

God didn’t create us to work alone. He designed the body of believers with many different talents, comparing it in First Corinthians to a human anatomy—many parts working together for God’s glory.

Whether we’re having trouble navigating the twists and turns of a plot, figuring out how to handle a particular parenting situation, or resolving some other problem in our lives, sometimes we need a fresh perspective. Humbly turning to the people God has put in our lives and asking for advice doesn’t show weakness, but wisdom. Many times God allows us to find the way on our own. Other times we need to admit we need help.


Do your best to find your way, but don’t spend all season in the maze. You’ve got more stories to write. Call for help if you need it.

Ecclesiastes 4:10-12
If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent devotion, Janet! I know what you mean about being stuck in a story that seems to have no end. Personally, I've been stuck in one that seemed to have no beginning until a few corn cops helped find my way! And how many books have I read, that would have been so much better if the writer had talked to a few corn cops?!
    What a great God we have--He gives us a need for help and then takes care of it with awesome brothers and sisters.
    Thanks for another wonderful devotion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wise words, Janet. I used to struggle (I still do) with asking for help when I need it. God's been working on me through my writing. I've been forced to rely on critique partners to catch my mistakes or make suggestions to better my work, to rely on an agent to sell it, on a lot of folks for a lot of different reasons.

    You're one of my corn cops too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! You all have helped me out of a few dead ends:)

    Gina, I have a feeling you and I would get thrown out of the corn maze like one of Chelsey's friends did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just a wonderful post. I often feel lost in the middle of writing and now I am encouraged to call a few friends to help me out.

    I also love your corn maze story and the corn cops made me laugh. Be blessed and thank you. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise words - we need one another. God is so good to give us community! :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been called corny, but never a corn cop. LOL

    Brainstorming is so much fun! It's one of my favorite parts of the writing journey. Our worship ceative team at church uses brainstorm sessions. That's where I got hooked on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard Francine Rivers speak at Florida Christian Writers Conference in '99. She said she has a brainstorming parnter, and she flies across the country to meet with this person to brainstorm each book. Now, it seems, "everybody's doing it." Pretty neat, if you ask me!

    So far, though, the only people I've brainstormed with are my family. They've given me some good ideas as I've worked through some plot issues.

    Thanks, Janet, for a great article.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.