Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Author Interview ~ Susan May Warren

Susan May Warren is the award-winning author of seventeen novels and novellas with Tyndale, Steeple Hill and Barbour Publishing. Her first book, Happily Ever After won the American Fiction Christian Writers Book of the Year in 2003, and was a 2003 Christy Award finalist. In Sheep's Clothing, a thriller set in Russia, is a 2006 Christy Award finalist. A former missionary to Russia, Susan May Warren now writes Suspense/Romance and Chick Lit full time from her home in northern Minnesota.






What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

I’m so excited about my First Chick Lit book hitting the shelves this June! It’s a hilarious story about a Minnesota girl who goes to Moscow for a year to teach English, and finds herself in way over her head. I had a blast writing it because I lived in Russia for many years, and I was finally able to poke fun at all the crazy things that happened to me. It also uncovers the TRUE life of a missionary. So many people think that you have to be a super Christian to be a missionary … this is so far from true. What you have to do is trust God that He’ll do His thing through (or in spite of!) you. Everything’s Coming Up Josey probably the closest I’ll ever come to writing my life story. *grin*

You're a Christy Award finalist. What was that process like for you? How did you find out?

I’m so thrilled to be a finalist! I was a finalist two years ago for my first book, Happily Ever After, and at the time, I didn’t have a THING to wear. *g* This time I found my dress on SALE. Which I think bodes well, don’t you? Most of all, I’m just thrilled that In Sheep’s Clothing finaled. I wrote the story in Russia and much of it is based on actual events. How did I find out … oh, well my nine-year old told me. *g* Actually, my editor, Krista called me. However, I wasn’t home so she left a cryptic message with my son. He met me at the door with a “Hey mom, someone called about an award or something.” I got on email immediately and thankfully she’d written with the happy news! It got pretty loud around my house for a few days after that.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I really started writing when I was a kid, and never had any dreams of being an author because, well, I thought … are you kidding? When I became a missionary, I determined to write the best newsletter I could, honing all my storytelling techniques and doing my best to make our supporters feel as if they were there, with us, in ministry.


Later, I submitted to a few devotional books and magazines. But I had such little time to write for those publications, and such long quite Siberian nights, it felt natural when God gave me the nudge to start writing novels. I wrote in the backside of Siberia for four years before I submitted my first novella to Tyndale (I had about six books written by that time, sitting in files on my computer). Admittedly, I didn’t submit much (that return postage to Siberia got a little pricey!), but I submitted enough to get some good feedback. And, of course, I joined the American Christian Romance Writers and tried to learn as much as I could.

I don’t think there is one book in my library that isn’t defaced with notes and highlighter marks and tabbed pages. I have to tell you that no one was more surprised that Tyndale wanted to buy my novella than I because I’d been told that international stories about missionaries didn’t sell. But they sent me an email about three months after I’d submitted the story (I was backpacking in Europe at the time, so I didn’t’ get the email until about 2 weeks after my editor sent it. I’m sure they were sorta wondering, what’s with her?). I remember thinking … no, this isn’t for real, is it?

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

One stroll through a Barnes and Noble, should give you the answer to that. *grin* There are SO many good storytellers out there, especially in the CBA market. It can be daunting, depressing, and the fact is, for every idea I come up with, there are about four other ideas just like it hitting the market the same time. (Except, of course, if it’s a Ted Dekker book … really, he doesn’t think like the rest of us. *g*) Mostly, I just try to write the best story I can, to the glory of God and I leave the rest of it to Him. And I try to let the self-doubts push me to be a better writer.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I’ve been discouraged … but God used that to remind me that I was writing for Him, and regardless of how many books I sold, He was pleased. Besides, if I try and quit, my characters visit me in my sleep and threaten me.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

Finding the right agent can be a challenge. I went through two agents before I found my current agent, who rates up there with TiVo in my life. I don’t need a lot of hand-holding, but I did need an agent who believed in me, and I think that is the most important thing in finding an agent … they need to like you and your writing.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Dee Henderson (whose stuff I love! I want to write like her when I grow up), told me once to just keep writing. Once I finished a book, I’d look at what I learned and apply it to my next book. Hence why I had about 4 novels ready to be published once I sold that first novella. And since then, they’ve all been published. *grin*

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

Hmm … well, I think that new writers are often told to ignore the market and write what is on their hearts. I think the idea behind that is to be passionate about your story. But you DO need to look at trends and what people like to read. I researched Tyndale books extensively before I submitted to them. I tried to craft a book that I thought would fit with their publishing style. Yes, there are authors out there who do their own thing and break the mold … but I found that the publishers in CBA know what their doing and listening to their advice is wise. That’s not to say that I don’t have a few books that “break the mold.”

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I love working in CBA. Sometimes it tends drive me crazy, but mostly it drives me crazy that in ABA they give humongous advances to unseasoned writers, or that poorly written books get huge press. But again, I just have to keep my focus in the right place.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Although writer’s want to jump right into trade size fiction, it’s a good idea to hone your skills with great “club” lines like Heartsong Presents or Love Inspired. Your readers get to know you and learn the business. I wish I’d written a few more “club” books before, or while I was also publishing in the trade lines.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

When we moved to the US from Russia (and this is going to sound crazy) I had to leave my “writing chair” in Russia. I’d never written a book without it and I went through a weird panic/writer’s block! Thankfully, I got a NEW chair, but it was weird and way too “eccentric artist.” But it did remind me that writing wasn’t all mechanics.

What are a few of your favorite books?

Francine’s Redeeming Love, (or course), All of Dee Henderson’s books. I also love the new chick authors in CBA – Tracey Bateman, Kris Billerbeck, Sharon Hinck, Kathy Springer, and so many more. Secular authors – Meg Cabot’s non-princess books, and anything but Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I am really delighted with the way Everything’s Coming up Josey turned out. I didn’t know if my sense of humor would translate, and to get good reviews has blessed me (and confirmed to my husband that YES, other people think I’m funny, too, thank you very much). Mostly, I’m excited to share my story in a unique, funny way. And Josey has a great message, also. BUT, I’m also thrilled about my new Reclaiming Nick book – the first of my Noble Legacy with Tyndale. I wanted to write a “Susan Elizabeth Phillips” type of contemporary romance…a full cast with a resonating story with captivating heroes/heroines. I think the Noble family and their story fits the bill.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Romans 15:13 – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. I love this verse because it reminds me that my job is to trust in God and let His hope overflow in me (and with that hope, WORDS, lots of WORDS!)

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Yeah, I get up, my maid serves me breakfast in bed as the sun rises over the lake, then lays out my clothes … Okay, reality, huh? I get up at 6, have my quiet time, pray with my family then shoo them out the door. Then spend the next three hours in my jammies, telling myself to go take a shower while I answer email and suck down coffee (that’s a nice visual, isn’t it? Probably, if you get an email from me before 10, you should think of me in a nice business suit with an elegant coif.)


I tell my youngest son to stop playing Backyard Skateboarding and read the next chapter in his history book (we real historical fiction for our textbooks), and I threaten my oldest son with bodily harm if he doesn’t roll out of bed. Then I jump in the shower, and emerge a much better person in so many ways. The next two hours I spend home schooling my 3rd grader and wishing I understood new math. Then I eat lunch with my boys and we exercise our brains by catching up with the previous night’s TiVoed shows. Occasionally I’ll tread. Okay, like almost never, but it has happened. Twice.

The afternoon I spend writing – fleshing out characters, working on chapters, editing. My other two kids come home at 4pm and we together scrounge the house for something edible. Then I disappear for another two hours, hoping in vain the cooking fairy will arrive and have something nutritious on the table at 6pm.


I’m usually horribly disappointed and at 6pm emerge to scrape together something, usually in my wok. Hey, add a little ginger and garlic to anything and it’ll taste good. My hubby drags in around 6:30, we eat and then we’re off to various committee meetings, karate, church or once in a while an episode of Idol or the Amazing Race. I flop into bed around 10, read for an hour or so then finally flick off the lights by 11. At which time, I commence talking to my husband. He’s a great listener – real quite and contemplative – by then.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I try and do a chapter a day – between 4-5K words.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

I’m an extensive plotter, but after I define the scene, I let the SOTP in me (small and afraid as she is) to take over. It HAS happened that the characters will end the scene differently than I thought … and most of the time no one gets hurt.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Well, I love Frannie’s characters and ability to write a romance, Dee’s plots (and heros!), and Karen’s ability to make a person cry. I love Ted D for his depth. So, if I could be a sorta morph of all of these, that would make me very happy.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Well, it can get kinda lonely. Yet when I get on email, well, I get nothing done. But mostly, it’s the fact that I SIT for hours. I get so absorbed that I can get stuck in one position. What is my favorite? Good reviews! And positive reader mail! And I LOVE holding the finished product.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?


I am doing more and more all the time. I like connecting with readers and talking about my books and their themes and characters. Most of all, I like it when someone loves the story as much as I do and laughs at all the right parts.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Writing is work, but in the end, it should give the author a deep satisfaction that she/he is working out the gift God has given them. And keeping your focus on God and His voice is the only way to keep your head above water.

10 comments:

  1. Susan,

    You're answers were quite amusing and informative. Thanks.

    My 14 year old daughter loved Happily Ever After. I haven't read it yet, but she told me every detail. And I'm still looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview ladies. Yeah, that email will eat your day. Thanks Susan for being with us and congrats on the Christy nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview, Susan. I read Sheeps Clothing and the first two Team Hope books. I enjoyed Sheeps Clothing, though I had a hard time keeping the Russian names in order! I've gotten good feedback and requests for further submissions from a Tyndale editor, so I've been reading everything from them I can get my paws on. I lost count of your children in that interview, somehwere between 5 and 20, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan, for sharing your humor along with your story. :o) I promise, if you email before ten, you're in that business suit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview. I look forward to someday reading your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading and for your kind comments! I would appreciate it if you all just thought of me as very refined and always neatly attired. *g* (Even if we know the truth). And Wayne, I have to know..did you root for the Hippies or the Frat boys??? Hope you're getting some good feedback from Tyndale, Ron. (Oh, and that would be 4 children, which is why I still have my lovely figure). Thanks, everyone for that sweet reception, and for reading my books! And thanks, Ane, for letting me be a part of Novel Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, see, I had a sense about you...we were Hippie fans too...I wanted to give those Frat boys a Palmolive moment! I have a teenage daughter for pete's sake crying out loud! Okay, rant over now. But did you see that new National Treasure type series due out this summer? Looks fun!! Okay really, now I promise to talk about writing. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wayne, that picture makes you look like someone who would kill children off in your books. Oh, wait...

    ReplyDelete
  9. National Treasure type series? I have no idea what's going on here but I'm intrigued. Great interview, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I love Tivo, too!

    I'm looking forward to diving into JOSEY! Hopefully CBD will ship my copy soon.

    Camy

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.