Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Author Interview - Kendra Norman-Bellamy

Award-winning novelist, Kendra M. Norman-Bellamy is founder and president of KNB Publications, LLC, a contributing staff writer for online Christian magazine, Divine Eloquence E-zine, and a recurring contributing writer for Precious Times Magazine. She is a motivational speaker, teaching her much-applauded writers series, "The Writer's Cocoon". Recently, Kendra was named the Georgia Area Coordinator for the ACFW. She's the founder and moderator of The Writer's Hut, an online critique and support group "for writers only," and has multi-book deals with both Moody Publishers and BET Books.







By Ane Mulligan

What new book or project is would you like to tell us about?

Dr. Gregory Dixon's life seems to be on an upward spiral that cannot be stopped. His marriage is more solid and more passionate than ever. His son is growing healthier and happier everyday. With his residency complete, his job as a top neurologist at Robinson Memorial is secure and stable. But is it the calm before the storm? While Greg temporarily takes on a job at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, parts of his world back in Washington, D.C. are falling apart.




My newest venture is More Than Grace published by BET Books, which released on April 1st. It is the last installment of what has been dubbed a “Grace Series” and I’m very excited about it. The characters in the Grace Series are very dear to my heart. When I created them, they quickly became a part of me and I was very happy to have the opportunity to live with them throughout three books. My prayer is that this book, like two of my other titles, becomes a national bestseller. I’m looking to the months ahead when God will bring that into fruition.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?


After sending the manuscript to For Love & Grace to several mainstream publishers and getting the infamous standard rejection letters, I moved forward to self-publish it in August of 2002. Even after the book was in print, I continued to market it to publishers as I sold copies out of the trunk of my car. In 2003, after much prayer and discussion with my husband, I made the decision to walk (by faith) away from my corporate America job in put my full-time energies into my divine destiny: writing.

I still had no mainstream publishing offers, but I felt that I would never get the deals I was searching for if I didn’t show God that I fully had faith in Him and the promise that I know He’d given me. I can’t say that it wasn’t a frightening transition. The decision to leave my job and my only viable source of income to work toward becoming a success in such an “iffy” industry was almost crazy. But I did it, and God made good on His promise. In fact, just as He promised in His Word, He did exceeding abundantly above what I asked or thought.

Within thirty days of leaving my job, He not only gave me one mainstream publishing contract – He gave me two. I got an email from my editor at Moody who told me that they wanted to publish A Love So Strong and a few days later, I got a call from BET telling me that they wanted to re-release For Love & Grace as the first book in a three-book series. Ecstatic doesn’t even begin to describe the way I felt. I laughed, I cried, and I danced through the house praising God for His goodness.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Not at all. When I write, I am totally in my element. My pen flows to God’s direction and I know He won’t lead me astray. I absolutely love what I do and every book, for me, is a testament of God’s promise to make the whole world my pulpit. Through my books I’m able to reach people every where…people who I may never meet. I’ve received too much confirmation to allow room for doubt.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I can honestly say that the thought of walking away from this calling has never crossed my mind. As a matter of fact, I can’t imagine doing anything else other than writing. I think that’s when you know you’ve found your passion. When there are no doubts, no second-thoughts and no regrets; I think that’s a good sign that you’re walking in your purpose.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

My mistake, if there was one, was in NOT seeking an editor or agent. I never had an outside editor when I self-published my first book. I edited it myself. It’s a move I’d never advise to anyone else. I think every writer should have an editor. However, I didn’t and God was merciful toward my ignorance. My book was nearly error-free despite the fact that it was never “professionally” edited. And as far as an agent is concerned, I never had one until after I’d gotten both book deals. At that time, I hired a contract lawyer who also began serving as my agent. I can’t see where that was a mistake though. It all worked out just fine. He’s still my attorney/agent today.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

For me, the advice came from my mother. When I first began writing and searching for a publisher, she told me to “Always put God first and everything else will fall into place.” That was the best advice I ever could have gotten concerning my writing because it has worked for me. I pray about every manuscript and I don’t fret that it’s not going to sell well or that people won’t be blessed in some way from the story. If God leads me to write it, He’ll make sure the book accomplishes every thing that He ordained it to.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

I once had a publisher that told me to change the characters of my novel so that they weren’t so responsible and loving. She told me that “black men didn’t like to take care of their families” and “a black man wouldn’t want to step up to the plate and take responsibility for a child that he had but didn’t know about until twelve years later” (when the boy was introduced to him from a vindictive past lover). Not only was this advice horrible, but it was offensive. The men in my life from my father and brother to my husband and favorite cousin are all loving and honorable men who hold their families dear. So to be told to change my characters because they were not “realistic” as good black men was by far, the worst advice I’ve gotten in my career. Needless to say, I never worked with that publisher.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Gossip and backstabbing…oh, my word! There’s a lot of it in the literary industry among publishers, agents, publicists and authors. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous and I steer clear of it. I have no room for such shenanigans in my personal space. I don’t see a need to be jealous of anybody for any accomplishment they make. I believe that being able to celebrate the successes of others only comes full circle and allows room for victories of your own.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I’d known that self-publishing was so affordable. I did a little research, but I didn’t know any authors on a personal level and didn’t have anyone to talk to about the self-publishing process. Later on, I found that I spent much more on self-publishing than was necessary and with the budget that I was working with, paying for it wasn’t an easy task.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

I think “setback” might be too strong of a word, because the trial that I went through didn’t set me back at all. I was taken aback by it, but I wasn’t hindered by it. When my self-published novel was first released, I didn’t have a publicist or anyone to help me, so I set up my own book signings and such. Well, I’d arranged one at a large church about a month in advance and the day before the signing, a member of the church called and reported to me that the pastor’s wife said I couldn’t have the signing there because my book wasn’t “Christian enough.” I was totally baffled by this because my book was a Christian novel from cover to cover. I remember asking the caller if the pastor’s wife had read my book and she admitted that she hadn’t, but still would not allow me to have the signing. That was disturbing to me, and it was very hurtful especially because it was a church in my hometown where many of my family members worshipped weekly. However, I’m a person who thrives on misplaced stumbling blocks. If you tell me that I can’t do a thing or if you try and hinder whatever I’m doing from being successful, it only makes me pray harder and gives me a greater determination to succeed. I never got to do the signing at that church, but God has blessed me a thousand fold since then.

What are a few of your favorite books?

My all-time favorite book is, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I also love the works of Victoria Christopher Murray, Travis Hunter, Jacquelin Thomas, Tia McCollors, Patricia Haley and Vanessa Davis Griggs. As you can see, my favorite genre is Christian fiction.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I’ve sent complimentary copies of my books to women in prison. Some have been brought to Christ by reading my novels, and I feel especially blessed by that. I think nothing can bring a Christian writer more joy than the knowledge her book reached souls for the Kingdom.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately?

Jeremiah 30:2 speaks to me every single day. It reminds me of my purpose and my passion. “Thus speaketh the Lord God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book.”

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I get up at approximately 9:00 every morning and I begin my day with prayer and scripture reading. After which, I put in about an hour of exercise, and then after showering, I sit down for breakfast. For the next several hours, I’m at my computer, either answering emails from readers, editing the works of others, writing articles for magazines, or creating my own next bestseller. I take a break when my daughters get home from school so that I can assist them with homework, if necessary and then I start dinner so that it will be ready by the time my hubby gets home from work. After we eat, I spend a little time with the family, watching television or what have you, and after everyone is tucked into bed, I retreat back to my office where I write some more until I retire for the night (which is generally around 2:00 in the morning).

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No I don’t. My purpose is to write every day, as much as possible. I see setting page/word goals as setting limits. I’m not saying that people shouldn’t set goals for themselves; I think that’s a good thing. But I rarely place a number on any goal that I set for myself. Therefore my aim is just allow the creative juices to flow for however long they wish. When they stop – so do I.

Are you an SOTP writer or a plotter?

By all means, I’m a seat-of-the-pants writer. I sit at the computer and just allow the thoughts to flow from my mind to my fingers as I build the story. I never draft story outlines or anything of that sort. Occasionally I will do character outlines just to keep myself reminded of what the cast of the story looks like, what their professions are, etc.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Victoria Christopher Murray is probably my most admired author. When I was new in the industry, she (unknowingly) became the person I most wanted to pattern myself after. I didn’t want to be a carbon copy of Victoria, but I saw in her what I wanted to become in the world of Christian fiction writing. I wanted her drive, passion and longevity. I admired her ability to stay grounded even though she is the best known name in African American Christian fiction. In many ways, after I became connected to her and ultimately became friends with her, Victoria took me under her wings and gave me direction and advice when I needed it. I will always admire her for that.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part is the process itself. I enjoy creating characters, storylines and plots. Sometimes I’m surprised at the ideas that God gives me and the last minute twists that He puts in my head on the spur of a moment. Writing fiction is fun for me. It doesn’t feel like work and it doesn’t stress me out. It’s a great feeling to have a job that you love. As far as the least favorite part of writing goes, I’d have to say that that award goes to the waiting. It can take up to a year to see a book go from the manuscript stage to the finished product that readers are able to pick up in bookstores. Although patience is one of my strong points, when it comes to waiting for my books to release; it’s difficult and I admit that I don’t like it.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I’m always in awe when I see authors who don’t market and promote themselves or their product. I think that marketing is the most important part of this occupation, if you want to be successful. I do a lot of marketing. I attend as many literary events as I can as well as make myself available to bookstore signings and book club appearances. I think it’s important to be personable with readers. My favorite part of marketing is traveling and meeting new fans of my work. I’m blessed every time I meet another admirer of my novels. That’s a humbling feeling.

You're also an editor with your own publishing company. Let's chat about that. How long have you been an editor?

I’ve been an editor since 2003, even before I began KNB Publications, LLC. After word spread that my self-published novel was well-edited and people learned that I’d done the work myself, they began contacting me and asking me to edit their work. At the time, I wasn’t yet under contract with a mainstream publisher, and I had no writing deadlines of my own, so I began working with other new authors in the process of getting their works ready for print. It would be a year later when I started the publishing end of my company.

Why did you form your own publishing company?

I’d been a self-published author, and I knew how difficult it could be to get a book into print. I also knew that there were companies out there that preyed on the naivety of new authors. Some were taking advantage of the fact that so many authors wanted to be published, but hadn’t yet been fortunate enough to nail a contract with a traditional publishing house. These self-publishers were charging more money than necessary, knowing that many writers wanted to be published badly enough to pay the outrageous fees that they were asking. I started KNB Publications, LLC to offer another option to authors who wanted to self-publish. To keep from being overwhelmed with manuscripts, I made the company specific to works that were inspirational or Christian in nature. I love helping other aspiring writers reach their goals of becoming published authors and KNB has allowed me to do that.

Did you write before or after you became an editor?

My first real experience at editing was when I editing my own first novel, so I suppose you can say that I began doing both around the same time.

As an editor, what's that special something you look for in a book?

I look for good storytelling. That simply means that I look for a book that draws me in from the start and holds me there until the end. If a book has the elements of a good story, the editing will most likely be unproblematic.

What are some things that set off red flags in a manuscript?

If I start to yawn while I’m reading it, that’s a pretty bad sign. I’m only overstating the facts slightly when I say that. A manuscript cannot start off slow and then pick up speed later because even the most avid readers will toss a book aside if the story doesn’t capture them within the first few pages. A writer needs to know that readers have too many choices. Why should they struggle through reading your book when they can just pick up another that will be a page-turner?

What makes a manuscript stand out from the rest?

I think a manuscript that makes me feel like I’m a part of the story or one that makes me feel as if I know the characters I’m reading about is a standout story. Readers like to be able to relate to the characters. The story needs to be dramatic, but at the same time, solid and realistic. As a reader of a manuscript, I need to be able to see the setting, hear the sounds, and feel the emotions that the writer pens in the story. A well-developed story is an outstanding story.

We all hear how subjective this business is. Can you elaborate on that?

Although I’ve heard about it, honestly, I can’t give an “amen” to that charge. I’ve been blessed to have worked with some wonderful publishers and I have a good business relationship with almost everyone I’ve dealt with in the industry. I just believe that God grants favor when you totally put your trust in Him. That’s not to say that there aren’t some prejudices or bias behavior in this business; I’ve just not experienced any…or if I have, I’ve certainly not played into it or allowed it to shake my foundation.

What's the best piece of advice you can give our readers about getting published?

I always tell those who wish to get published to always believe in the gift God gave them and never give up on their dreams. Sometimes getting to the place where they want to be may take some time, but prayer, patience and perseverance make an amazing team.

Let's say I have an intriguing query, a well developed synopsis and my three sample chapters are strong. Why might I still get a rejection?

You can get a rejection just by the simple fact the publisher that you sent your work to had so many queries coming in at the time, he or she just didn’t have the time to read yours. That’s why I constantly tell writers not to take rejection letters personally. Many times the publisher or editor never even took the time to read what was submitted. It’s not always about inadequacy in what you’ve written.

If a writer is rejected and reworks the manuscript, can he/she resubmit it?

Absolutely! There’s no rule against resubmitting. Remember…perseverance!

If so, would they send it to a different editor or the same one?

Most publishing houses have specific editors set in place for their imprints. The choices of who the writer sends the manuscript to may be limited. As I stated earlier, many times the editor didn’t read it when he or she sent the rejection letter anyway. So, if the writer sends it again, it’s likely that it won’t look like a duplicate submission to the editor. I always advise writers to send their queries to several different publishers. Don’t just focus on one publisher. The more you send it to, the better the chances that your work will be noticed.

Would you recognize a resubmission? If you did, would you be able to see it with fresh eyes?

Because KNB is a self-publishing house, we operate a bit differently than mainstream publishers would. I read all of the submissions and should I reject one because it doesn’t meet our self-publishing guidelines, I would recognize it if it were submitted again. However, if I reject it, I outline what it is about the work that makes it not a good fit for what we publish. If the writer makes changes and resubmits, I could definitely see it with fresh eyes. I believe that most mainstream publishers could do the same – especially if they sent the rejection letter outlining the problems with the submission and then told the writer what he or she could do to make it better. However, with as many submissions as mainstream publishers get during the run of a week, I believe many resubmitted works would be getting looked at for the first time although it would be the second time it’s actually been sent.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Yes. I’d like to say to any aspiring writer: Please write from the heart. Write because you love to do it and not just because you think it may be a way to make money. Writing is not the business to get into for the sake of dollars. It takes a while to start reaping the financial benefits for writing. However, if you do what you love it will show in your work and the money will certainly come in the long run. I’m an advocate for people finding their own calling and walking in their own destiny. If you do that, you’ll never live with regrets.

8 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying this interview AND this wonderful blog. Wondered if I might exchange links with you, or at least add you to my blogroll of published writers at Light for the Writer's Soul?

    Thanks! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kendra, for the wonderful interview. Your journey is encouraging and filled with great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring, Kendra.

    Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. Kendra is a writing powerhouse. And how she does all those books, publish books, manage a family and help people stay healthy is a testament to her strong work ethic.

    Ane, how's your WIP going?

    Dee Stewart
    http://gospelfiction.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Thanks, Kendra and Ane! Great insight into your publishing business.
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...Ane and Kendra that was a great interview...a lot of meat in that one...good for reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To everyone...thank you for your kind words. I am encouraged by every one of them. Ane, thank you for the opportunity to be interviewed on your wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendra and Ane, great interview. I'm way late in chiming in because I was working when this was posted.

    Love the book cover for the upcoming title. So romantic. You've been on quite a unique journey, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.