Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Author Interview - Eva Marie Everson

What new book or project is would you like to tell us about?


The Potluck Club, Trouble’s Brewing. Click here to read a review.












You've coauthored before, two books in your Shadow series, and now Trouble's Brewing is your fourth coauthored book. What's that been like? How do you work it? Do you each take different characters or chapters?

The first two books were not as coauthored as many people think. I did the majority of the writing and then my “coauthor” (G. W. Francis Chadwick) would supply more editorial skills. Many times I would need the male POV and he would supply that. His work within our work was critical and I don’t take it lightly, but it was different than the relationship I’ve had with Linda.

This is my fourth coauthored fiction work. This time around Linda and I split the work 50/50 (unlike Francis and me). Linda has three of the six main characters and I have three. We feed off of each other’s plotlines. We have a general idea as to where we are going, but don’t know any specifics. It’s fun and it keeps us on our toes!

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I always hate to tell this. I’ve been writing my whole life, but it was for me, basically. I’d write some plays for my kid’s school or church events, but mostly it was for me. Then, in 1997, I began writing a book. I wrote for a year not knowing a thing about publishing! I approached some editors in 1999 and within nine days had a contract. It was insane!

When the call came in, I was at a bookstore (go figure!) and my husband was at home. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, he was standing in the open garage, waving his hands like, “Come on! Come on!” When I got out of the car he told me that some woman from some publishing house had called (his words, not mine) then ran inside and got the piece of paper he’d written the information on. It was Susan Schlabaugh with Barbour. I called the number back and she said, “Eva, we want to offer you a contract.” I remember thinking, “Act cool. Act like this is normal.” So I kept it very business-like. But as soon as I got off the phone, I freaked out! My husband and I jumped around the kitchen like we’d just won the lottery. I grabbed the phone to call my parents and everyone I’ve ever known, but he said, “Don’t get on the phone now. I have to go online to beat an E-bay bid.” It was so frustrating, but it helped teach me patience!

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

All the time. I know I can write, but I often wonder if I should write and I often wonder if I can write well.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Today. Yesterday. The day before that…. Probably tomorrow….But then I get another contract, or another speaking engagement, or a letter/email from a fan. I’d like to tell you it’s humility, but it’s not. It’s a lack of self-worth which as a Christian, should never even come into my vocabulary. So, together with God, I’m working on it.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

“If you learn from it, was it really a mistake?” she asked vaguely.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

It had nothing to do with writing, but with life. It carries into writing. Robert Benson (author/speaker/man of God extraordinaire) said, “The only one who knows what God has whispered into your heart is you…but you won’t hear Him if you don’t hush.”

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

My first heroine was a redeemed exotic dancer. An editor asked me if I could change her profession to a… “I dunno…a librarian or something?” My comment back was, “What would she be redeemed from? Overdue books?”

I knew I was crossing a boundary with my novel, Shadow of Dreams, but I also knew God had given me that plotline. I wasn’t budging.


What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

That the time spent in writing a project is equally spent in re-writing, re-writing, re-writing and then marketing that very same project. Geez O’Malley, the writing is the easy part!

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

There are always things that throw you in any business or line of work or calling. I had to learn that this is a business. It’s a business. Repeat after me, “It’s a business.”

What are a few of your favorite books?

Everything and anything written by Robert Benson. (As in, can the man write a bad book? I don’t think so!) Also, Into the Depths of God, by Calvin Miller.

I love the classics, too. Rebecca, by Daphne DuMauier, A Lantern in Her Hand, by Bess Steeter Aldrich (I have a very old copy of this book). My favorite all time book is “Mr. & Mrs. Bo Jo Jones.” I’ve read it so many times the cover has come apart from the pages and I’ve owned it since I was twelve.

Right now I’m reading two VERY good books: Story, by Steven James (nonfiction) and the Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of Allison Bottke’s first novel, A Stitch in Time.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

The work I was proudest of was never published…and that’s okay. At least it hasn’t been published yet! But honestly, I haven’t ever looked at a book and said, “I really hate this.” Recently, I wrote two books with my daughter (Sex, Lies, and the Media and Sex, Lies, and High School) and am VERY proud of those for two reasons: 1) I wrote them with my daughter and 2) the subject matter is very important to me. My husband and I nearly “lost” our daughter to media’s influence and the world it drew her to. She’s back with the Lord, and what she has to say is so vitally important for parents to hear, if they only will. Most Christian parents, we have found, think it can’t happen to them…that their children are immune. Part of me wants to say, “Are you really willing to take that chance? With your child?” and the other part of me just shakes my head.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately?

Don’t get me started! Well, you asked for it!

Genesis 35: 2, 3

So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes. Then come, let us go up to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone."

Shall I tell you why that speaks to me? Because it all appears to be outward, but really it’s inward. “Get rid of your foreign gods” required them to bring the gods out of their tents and to the tree to be buried. But really, it’s a heart issue. I can “bury my gods” but until it comes from my heart, what’s the point? “Purify yourselves” had to do with outward purification rights, but again…it’s all about becoming pure on the inside. Create in me a pure heart, David wrote. It’s not a physical heart he’s talking about. So what if I “take a purification bath” if inside I’m unclean? “Change your clothes,” sounds outward, but when I consider putting on the garment of praise, the garment of salvation, or even priestly garments, I have a whole new perspective on what that means. John the Beloved, in his revelation, writes in so much detail about the way the bride is dressed, the way Christ is dressed, the angels, etc. Helps one to realize the importance of what we “wear.” He says that the fine linen of the bride of Christ represents the righteous acts.
See what I’m saying?

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I’m an early riser. Up early, pour the coffee, head to a favorite spot to read, journal, do my Bible Study. My husband and I have custody of our eight-year-old granddaughter so I have to get her up and to school by 8:15. Then I come home, try to work in a walk or a swim (I’m in my swimsuit right now, actually), then have a shower and something to eat. Then, it’s to the office! And I work. In between I wash clothes. When I get brain-logged, I dust…or vac…or mop…clean a toilet or two. I like my house clean! I have lunch with friends about once a week. If I have a speaking engagement during the week or on the weekend, part of the week is about getting ready for that. Every day is really different. I keep a little book with lined pages with me and write down everything I have to do every day. It keeps me focused. Otherwise, I’d just sit on the sofa and stare all day.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

One. If I can just write one word, I’m sure I’ll write more. I hate it when days go by and I haven’t written anything on a project. It’s not that I haven’t been busy, I’m just not writing!

Are you an SOTP writer or a plotter?

A little of both, actually.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Well, God did a pretty good job with His Book.

But, seriously…I have so many that I admire…really, I do. I’m not avoiding the question! If I was honest the list would be too long to publish. And I love so many editors, but I have to say that Dan Penwell will forever be among my most admired people.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The writing is my favorite part, but not the sit down at the computer writing. Just knowing I can put my fingers to the keyboard or wrap them around a pen and the words come out. I have a friend who is a fabulous singer and I asked her, “What’s it liking knowing you can open your mouth and that comes out?” She just looked at me and said, “Well, what’s it like knowing you can turn on your computer and that comes out?” Touché!

Least favorite: all the knots that are in my back right now from sitting at a computer, hauling luggage and product through airports. BUT! I have found THE most MARVELOUS massage therapist!!!

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I do a pretty good bit. You have to! I’m not sure if I have a favorite part.

Since you also do professional critiques, let's chat about that. What's that special something you look for in a book?

When I critique, I look for a hook. A hook with good writing. I like deeper things. I tend to crawl inside a person’s head when I read and when I write, so I look for those kinds of writers.

What are some things that set off red flags in a manuscript?

Bad dialogue! Poor skills in writing dialogue, such as not knowing how to write the quotation marks, where to put commas, etc. I mean, how can you READ and not know this stuff?

We all hear how subjective this business is. Can you elaborate on that?

Oh, gosh yeah, it’s subjective. That’s why there are so many genres out there. One editor can look at your work and say, “Nah…” but another can look at it and said, “Where have you been??? This is awesome!” What fits one reader won’t fit another and the same goes with editors.

What's the best piece of advice you can give our readers about getting published?

Getting published is NOT about book contracts. Getting published could be online, in personal newsletters, your church bulletin, Sunday school take-home papers, magazines, e-zines, etc. Stop looking at the “big-little picture” and start looking at the “big-big picture.”

Let's say I have an intriguing query, a well developed synopsis and my three sample chapters are strong. Why might I still get a rejection?

Again, it just may not be the editor’s cup of tea. Or, the editor can have a bad day, too, you know. As Jerry Seinfeld said about Kramer, [they’re] “human…in their way.” J Personally I have picked up a book or a ms. one day and hated it and then a week later, I’ll go back and revisit it and like it!

If a writer is rejected and reworks the manuscript, can he/she resubmit it?

To the same editor? Personally, I wouldn’t unless the editor suggested that I do so.

If so, would they send it to a different editor or the same one?

Again, I’d only do this if an editor asked me to.

Would you recognize a resubmission? If you did, would you be able to see it with fresh eyes?

Yes and of course!

Do you have any parting words of advice?

In the words of the great Robert Benson, “The only one who knows what God has whispered into your heart is you…but you won’t hear Him if you don’t hush.”






5 comments:

  1. Great interview Ane!

    Eva, You're a hoot. You've been an encouragement to me in years past and I'll take a moment to thank you once again for that.

    I can relate to your husband's plea for you to stay off the phone so he could beat an ebay bid. That's hilarious. I can just see you tapping your foot and leaning over his shoulder, having to stop yourself from bidding some crazy amount for him just to get him off.

    And I LOVE that you didn't budge on the exotic dancer. A librarian? As Ane would say, pttttt.

    Exotic dancers need to know that they too are welcome in God's family. Thanks Eva and Ane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Your depth of humor and obvious hunger for the word are refreshing.

    Ha - love this.
    “Don’t get on the phone now. I have to go online to beat an E-bay bid.”

    And ah - love this.
    “The only one who knows what God has whispered into your heart is you…but you won’t hear Him if you don’t hush.”

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Eva Marie, for being my very first interviewee. I knew your humor would carry the day. You've been a major encourager for me, one of the first professionals to validate my writing, then challenge me to take it up another notch. Hooray for notches! Hooray for Eva Marie! Anyone who has sat in one of her classes knows what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading Shadow of Dreams last night. What a coincidence. I love books that feature characters with sordid pasts. One of my passions is to share with readers that no one is ever too far gone for God. Sounds like it was yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Ane and Eva Marie. I always like to read or hear Eva Marie. She's so snappy. Wish I were like that! :) She gave great encouragement. Thanks, all.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.