Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's a boy! Author R.K. Mortenson shares his joy.

Here's the story of my new son, Colby William Jay Mortenson. And a picture!

In late 2005 my wife Betsy and I began adoption paperwork through a local Christian adoption agency in Jacksonville, Florida, where we live. We were hoping and praying that by some miracle we might add another child to our family before leaving Florida in September 2006 (when I will be separating from the Navy). Each night at bedtime, we'd ask our 2 1/2-year-old daughter Kyra what she wanted to pray for. Her first reply was the same each night: "A new baby."

On January 31 of this year we turned in our "picture profile" to the adoption agency, thereby completing our application. We were prepared to wait for weeks or months for any news. We had told the social worker who conducted our home study just a few days earlier that we were open to any child God may have in mind for us.

Exactly one week after turning in the picture profile, the counselor at the agency called saying a woman had selected us to be the adoptive family for her child. Ours was the first profile she looked at. When asked if she wanted to see more profiles, she said, "No, this is the family." She was due in eight weeks!

It took just less than six weeks for the baby to be born. On Sunday, March 19 at 9:28AM Eastern time, Colby William Jay Mortenson was born in Jacksonville, FL. He weighed 7 pounds, 4 ounces and was 19 inches long. My wife and I were both present for the delivery, and Betsy got to snip the umbilical cord. What a miraculous blessing, in so many ways!

Two days later - and six weeks to the day after receiving the call from the agency - we brought Colby home.

We are so grateful, humbled, and happy, praising God for bringing Colby to us!

Peace and joy in Jesus,
R. K. Mortenson

11 comments:

  1. Randy, you and your wife are so blessed! And I suspect so is this child lucky enough to get you two as parents. May God bless Colby and you and your wife. He's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a doll. Isn't God good? And what a faith builder for Kyra.

    Congratulations. Colby will be a new source of inspiration for your writing.

    Hang on, boys and girls are very different creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kelly says, "Hang on, boys and girls are very different creatures."

    Wait a second. Are you serious? I'd better tell my wife about this. Ohhhhh...boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, what a great story! Thanks for sharing this. Huge blessings to the Mortenson family! (I think they already got one...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you and your new son! I pray your family is as happy as mine was. I was 3 months old when I was adopted, and I praise God every day for chosing my adoptive parents to raise me. May you have the influence on these children that my parents did on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome story. We adopted almost 20 months ago and are lives are infinitely better as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Randy! :-) And, yes, girls are way different than boys, speaking as a mom to a girl sandwiched between two boys. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fabulous!!! Congrats on the new addition to your family, Randy....God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Randy and his family!! You are so blessed!

    My husband was adopted when he was two weeks old. What a blessing to his family, and ultimately to me, that he was raised in a forever Christian family.

    And oh yes, boys and girls are quite different. My step-sons, precious, precious things that they are, are quite different than their sister, my daughter, who is definitely an alien. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, all, for posting and congratulating and affirming that boys are indeed very different from girls and vicey versy. :-)

    I got to feed Colby this morning before going to work. He used to be so quiet, even when he was crying. This morning the house was trembling from his mighty roar, which, when translated, was basically this: "HUNGRY! NOW! BOTTLE! SOMEONE!" I tried to reason with him, to no avail. Once I had him settled with the bottle, he downed 4 delicious ounces of Enfamil in a voracious guzzle-fest. Then I changed his diaper. Such fun!

    He really is fun to hold and watch, becoming more alert and interactive by the day.

    Blessings!
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMM... Enfamil. Lucky guy! Pinch that baby's cheeks for me.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.