Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Author Interview ~ Diann Hunt

Formerly a writer in the Christian Romance market, Diann Hunt writes fiction targeted to Christian women of the Baby Boomer generation. Hot Flashes and Cold Cream, was released 2005. The follow-up title,
RV There Yet?, will be a Women of Faith Fiction selection, Summer 2006.




What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?


My next WestBow book, RV There Yet?, is a Women of Faith summer selection, and will release the end of May 2006. This is a fun story where three quirky, middle-aged friends pack up an old RV and head across the country to their former youth camp in hopes to save it from closing.







Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I’ve always enjoyed writing, but it didn’t turn serious until 1998 when I wrote an article for the reader section of a magazine and they paid me $100 for it! It was so exhilarating to have my words in print--and to get real money for it? Well, that was just mind boggling!

I published a couple more articles, had a novella proposal rejected, and then in 2000, my second novella proposal was accepted by Barbour Publishing. I received an email from Rebecca Germany telling me they liked it and wanted to publish it. It released in May 2001.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Constantly. I keep thinking it’s all a dream, and I’m going to wake up one day. The day after I send in a manuscript, I panic and think of everything I should have changed but didn’t. I’m convinced my editor will hate the manuscript and never contract me again. Then I drown myself in chocolate.


What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

You’re either a wanna-be writer or a writer. A wanna-be writer talks about writing and being a writer some day. A true writer works hard at the craft to make it happen. Do the work.


What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Keep receipts, take the time to organize your files (I’m still working on that one). It’s a business and you have to take it seriously.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

Colossians 3:17: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

I have been very fortunate in my writer’s journey to have had two wonderful mentors help me along the way, Rosey Dow and Colleen Coble. Thankfully, these awesome writers have guided me, and I’ve been spared any major set-backs up to this point.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and her Mark of the Lion Series. Gene Stratton-Porter books, Freckles, Girl of the Limberlost.


If your authorial self was a character from The Wizard of Oz, which one would you be and why?

The lion. As a published author, I’m forced more and more out of my comfort zone. Speaking in front of people is a real challenge for me. Fears assail me in almost every step of the publishing process. Will my editor like this manuscript? Will my readers be encouraged? Will the reviewers be kind? Like the lion, I need courage. I’m learning it’s not about me, but rather about doing my best and leaving the results to the Lord.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

I’m very pleased with Hot Flashes & Cold Cream. No matter the age, many women struggle with their physical image. That’s one of the issues my protagonist, Maggie, had to work through. Sometimes it helps to know others are experiencing the same thing. It’s been exciting to hear from my readers how Hot Flashes & Cold Cream has encouraged and/or challenged them in some way.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Non-writers who know I am a writer approach me to tell “their” story, then they get upset when I am unable to write it for them.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

I’m a fairly early riser. When I first started in this business, I worked full-time as a court reporter. I got up to write from 4:00 to 6:00 every morning before going to work. Morning is my creative time, so I work on my project early and keep at it until 1:00 or 2:00. I spend the afternoon visiting my granddaughters and doing filing, marketing, whatever. There’s not a creative thought in my brain after 2:00.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

The ability of Francine Rivers to focus on story rather than the hubbub of the writing world.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I heard Derrick Johnson of the Regeneration singing group once say, “Excellence is doing the best you can, with what you have, every chance you get.” That’s my goal.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Yes. Each time I turn in a manuscript and before I hear from my editor.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The promotion. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m promoting the book, not tooting my own horn. It’s very hard for me.


How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I think marketing is very important, and I’m really just stepping into this arena. I don’t think we can expect our publishers to do all the work. We’re a team and we need to do our part. I have a Web site. I get bookmarks printed up for my new releases. I send newsletters, and I blog with my writing friends, Kristin Billerbeck, Colleen Coble and Denise Hunter. For Hot Flashes & Cold Cream, I had promotional hand-held fans made to pass out at my book signings.


Parting words?

It’s never too late to start. I never dreamed I’d be a full-time writer one day. Then when I faced the empty nest, I found extra time on my hands with nothing to do. It started with an empty nest, a walk in the country with my husband (my first article), and a computer.

Writing is about passion and perseverance. Do the work. “Do the best you can with what you have,” and trust God with the outcome.

This business is hard. Learn to laugh a lot and enjoy the journey--and, hey, chocolate always helps.


Click here to read a review of Hot Flashes and Cold Cream




9 comments:

  1. "The day after I send in a manuscript, I panic and think of everything I should have changed but didn’t. I’m convinced my editor will hate the manuscript and never contract me again. Then I drown myself in chocolate."

    Hah. Thanks for fessing up. That's how I feel right now. Several of my favorite writers are looking at my work (and my agent) and I'm sure that I haven't heard back from them in a week because it's so bad and weird and ridiculous that they just don't know what to say to me. Never mind that the world's greatest critque group likes it... Writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love reading the the Girls Write Out blog. Thanks for sharing yourself so openly. And that quote on excellence is going on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jennifer! Isn't that a great quote?! I love it!

    "Insecure" I applaud you for getting your work out there! It's never easy to "put ourselves out there," but you did it!! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di,

    Great interview. The scripture verse is powerful and a great reminder God is in control.

    I LOVE the cover of RV There Yet?

    Love it!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, no comment about chocolate? Are you on a diet or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll read "RV There Yet", based on the title alone.

    Too funny. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I, Diann, beg the honor of doing your first review of RV There Yet? If it's as good as Hot Flashes and Cold Cream, I gird my giggle loins now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome interview! Thanks, Diann and Gina! I liked your phrase "Do the work." That is so true!

    Camy, off to "do the work" right now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments! Ane, you inspire me to greater heights! Thank you for your kind words!

    You all keep on keeping on, and remember excellence is doing the best you can, with what you have, every chance you get!!

    God's blessings on your writing!
    Diann

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.