Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Author Interview ~ Lisa Harris

Lisa Harris is a wife, mother, and author who has been writing both fiction and nonfiction for the Christian market since 2000. She and her husband, Scott, along with their three children, live in northern South Africa as missionaries.

Lisa’s sold over fifty articles, short stories, and devotionals as well as three novellas, and five full-length books. Lisa was voted one of the favorite new authors of 2004 for the 12th Annual Heartsong Awards. She’s also a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW), and the co-moderator of the online Christian Writer’s Group South Africa.


What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

This month, I have book two of my Massachusetts series with Heartsong Presents coming out. From the windswept Boston seacoast to the lush Connecticut Valley, Massachusetts in the late 1800’s was a place of unparalleled beauty and rich history. This series follows the Johnson family on a journey of discovery, as they struggle to face life’s challenges and in turn find renewed faith and love worth keeping. Rebecca’s Heart is about discovering that sometimes God’s plans are not our own, but when we follow Him with all our heart, we will be able to discern what his will for us is. I loved writing Rebecca and Luke’s story because they taught me so much about love and trust.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I started writing shortly after we adopted our first son in 1997. He was the perfect baby who slept most of the time. My husband worked while I stayed home (without a car), so for the first time in my life I decided to do what I’d always dreamed of--write a book. After finishing several manuscripts and learning a whole lot about the craft, I sold my first novella to Barbour in the beginning of 2003. When I got the email I knew it was the beginning of a dream come true.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

I think all writers do from time to time, but I really try not to let those thoughts take root. I think that’s the key to not giving up because the writer’s journey isn’t always easy, even after you’ve sold that first book.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Make sure you do your research when searching for a publisher or agent. I actually received my first contract about a year after I started writing. I cried when I read the letter, until I realized that they wanted me to pay a percentage up front instead of my receiving royalties upfront. Thankfully, I did my research and turned down the contract, because I later found out that these publishers ended up in jail. There’s plenty of good routes to get published, but there’s just as many ready to take advantage of a desperate writer.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

I’m not sure that I’ve been given much bad advice, but one thing that come to mind is the advice that many people have told me throughout the years--write what’s on your heart. While this is in reality good advice, the truth is that you also have to write to the market.


I have a series I’m hoping to get published that’s set in Africa. This is where I live and my heart’s connected to this fascinating country, as I yearn for them to know more about God. But no matter how interesting I find the setting, for the most part publishers that I’ve talked to are not interested. So I continue to write other things that for the market, finding ways to incorporated what I love into these stories.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

The first few stories I wrote at first without knowing anything about proper form, query letters. . .I didn’t know anything. If you’re new at writing, join a group like American Christian Fiction Writers, join a critique group, find a local group, take a writing class, or go to a conference. It’s definitely worth the time and effort and will put you ahead in the game.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” This verse reminds me that I don’t have to be the next Francine Rivers or Dee Henderson. God has made me to write for Him using the talents He’s given me. If I stay focused and write the message He’s given me with all the passion and love I have within me, then I’m doing what God wants of me!

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

Where do I even begin? Recently I’ve enjoyed Ted Dekker’s The Circle Trilogy, Kristin Billerbeck’s Ashley Stockingdale novels, Rene Gutteridge’s Boo series, Brandilyn Collins Eyes of Elisha. . .I could go on and on!

If your authorial self was a character from The Wizard of Oz, which one would you be and why?

I’d say the tin man, because I long to have an even deeper heart for God and His people. And I pray that through my writing and ministry in South Africa, many people will come to know of God’s love for them. To me, that’s what makes all the hard work worth it!

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

You’re limiting me again . That’s a tough one, so I’ll just have to choose one. One of the biggest accomplishment for me was learning how to weave in a strong spiritual message without sounding preachy. I love Strong Currents (not yet published) because for the first time I felt like I figured out how to balance the romance, with the action of the story, and manage to weave in the spiritual message--which isn’t easy.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I’d have to say the waiting. In this business you wait, and wait, then wait some more.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

As hard as it is at times, I do try to keep to a schedule. I get up about 6:30 and get my kids off to school. After straightening up the house, I check my email and have my quiet time. (I’m trying to get exercise into this time frame, but that hasn’t been working to well. ) By 8:30 or 9:00 I’m ready to start writing until my kids get home at two. Depending on my deadline schedule I like to limit my writing to the morning, but there are many other aspects like marketing, critique for my writing buddies, that have to be fit into the schedule as well, so I often take my lap top to the school and watch my kids ride bikes while I catch up on things.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I’d love to have the gift of weaving in a powerful spiritual message like Francine Rivers that stays with the reader for years to come.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I want to write a romantic comedy script that makes the big screen. And if I don’t ever get around to doing that, then I’d love to have one of my books made into a movie. I’m a very visual person and see all my stories in my head as real as a movie, music and everything, so to really have that happen would definitely be the frosting on the cake.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Toward the beginning, yes. I now realize just how hard it is to write and that writers have to learn their craft just like any other profession. When I started I didn’t know anything about point of view, or how to set a stage, or beats, etc. Now I know how much work is actually involved, but I’ve had to decide that it’s worth the effort as well as the rejections letters that still come.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

I just love to write. I love the fact that I’m in control of the story and can push the delete button when I want or let the words just flow is so much fun!

On the other hand, I don’t like the marketing part at all. My dream was always to live in a cabin in the woods and write to my heart’s content and let the publisher worry about selling my books. Today, you have to be a part of the entire process.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

Living in South Africa makes book signings difficult, though I’m a working to schedule them in this country as the readership base for Christian fiction is growing. I have a website and a blog. (www.lisaharriswrites.com & www.myblogintheheartofAfrica.blogspot.com ). I give away a lot of books and am starting now to do interviews like this one.

Parting words?


If you want to write, then WRITE. And never give up. Before I was published that was one thing that kept me going. I knew that even if I wrote dozens of books there was never any guarantee that I would be published. But I also knew that if I quite, that was no way that I’d ever hold a book of mine in my hands. Reach for your dreams, no matter what they are!















5 comments:

  1. The series set in Africa sounds great. I'd love to visit there myself so reading books with great scene setting there would be the next best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa, for sharing with us! When I saw your quote, "I’d have to say the waiting. In this business you wait, and wait, then wait some more." I first read it as "I'd have to say the WRITING." Made me pause to re-read ... her pet peeve is, what? That's what I get for reading too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about balancing the action with the romance and still weaving in a spiritual thread. That takes finesse. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I loved Rebecca's Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Lisa. You live in my favorite "sounding" country. I love the South African accent. I have several friends from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lisa.

    It was nice to get to "know" you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.