Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Book Review Format For You By Davidae “Dee” Stewart

www.christianfiction.blogspot.com

One way we can support our Christian brothers and sisters is by reviewing their books on our sites and places like Amazon.
I've asked Dee, if she would share how to write an effective book review, so that we all can help get the word out that Christian fiction rocks. She went above and beyond. Thanks, Dee!!!


“I want to join the book club, but I don’t know a thing about how to write a book review or how to critique a book.” Is the number one remark I receive when I contacted referrals about joining Oprah’s Suwanee Reading Social Club—my former book club, one of the largest in the North Atlanta area.

How did I change their minds about joining the club?

I gave them a simple plan for writing a review. And thanks to Gina, I’m passing on this plan to you. But I will go a smidgen further. I will pass on this plan to you with a Christian point of view. After all…this is a touchy subject for some Christian authors, who think that giving book reviews are tools that work against kingdom building. I haven’t seen any proof of that.

In fact, I believe if we don’t review Christian work, who will? I mean anyone can review something secular, but everyone can’t review Christian Fiction, because this genre is more than just about style, form and story, but about illumination. Who better to review it, then a Christian? Right?

So how do we do this review thing, Dee? What do we need to do?

First you need to understand what is a book review?

The word “book review” seems pretty self-explanatory, but it isn’t. A book review is more than a subjective opinion about a book. It is a reader shared response with other readers whether or not this book works for their reading community.


So why should I write a review?

The beauty of a book review is that avid readers of their particular genre write them. They’ve read enough to know which books speak to them and which do not. Or they haven’t read enough to know that every Karen Kingsbury book is phenomenal.

A book reviewer’s only allegiance is to their readers, because people will begin to look to you to help them determine whether a book is worth their dime. And as a Christian book reviewer, others will look to you as a barometer of what is Christ-like or what is false.

Cheri Gregory, my good friend, prayer partner and owner of the Potters House Bookstore, a popular Christian bookstore in the southeast told me once how she spends so much time reading books before she puts them on the shelf or order them from her distributor, because if she doesn’t watch out for her patrons (the book buyers) then her own faith maybe put in question. Yikes!

With that great responsibility, you will take care to keep other readers in mind as you read, not just to defend your own personal relationship with Christ, but to remember that many people seek these books to confirm their faith. After all, non-fiction is pretty matter-of-fact, but fiction—good fiction—forces you to care about the characters involved and forget yourself for a few hours.

It’s not escapism, because you feel the emotion. And in some cases you become the character. And consequentially, you will want to share those experiences with others, particularly when they draw you closer to God.

So when you write your review it will be like writing to friends telling them about something you have that you either recommend or you caution them to buy. If anyone close to you has ever asked you whether XYZ was a good movie, or a good restaurant or a good hotel, you want to give them your honest answer and you want to share experienced the product or service. A book review is the same thing. It’s just you’re telling your friends about a book.

OK…so…When should I write a review?

It should be written shortly after the book is released. New books sits on the shelves for a short time, so the sooner the better. Or before your next book club meeting. You want to be able to discuss the book at the meeting or you’ll feel left out. And who wants to go to a party and feel left out? No one. So be prepared.

One of the reasons I dropped the book club was because I was so bogged down in writing reviews for my local paper and magazines that I didn’t have time to commit to the group. I wished that I could go back and organize my club to write reviews for all of my review spots, and used that revenue to fund the club. More importantly, I wished I could have written reviews faster then. So now I am launching a Girl Scout book club for my daisy troop, which is worse, because most of the girl’s can’t read. But in the long run, this club will get them into reading, and hopefully, introduce them to Christian fiction. [Any children’s Christian book author(Stephanie Perry Moore, you know I got you,) please contact me.] And I think I will launch a separate one for my Adult volunteers.

How can I organize all this and make my deadlines?

With a surefire quick review format, even you can follow.

1. Determine your monthly book review quota.

Once you become a book reviewer. Regardless of for a book club or for your own website, you will become popular with literary publicists. Or you may become a magazine book reviewer like myself, who talks to the UPS man more than my daughter. Just received a book an hour ago.

Most weeks I have at least three books at my feet, and a pile by my fireplace. I’ve come up with my own system of how to determine, which book gets reviewed first. But on good months(September and December are bad months) I use a first come first serve system. And even better months I use a who’s paying me system. Yes. I’m one of the few book reviewers who are paid to review.

Not a great deal, but I paid for Selah’s birthday party, Easter dress, and gifts from one review check this year. And from time to time a merchant pays to advertise on my site. Anyway…regardless of your reviewing system, you need to decide how many books can bed read and reviewed in a month.
I
f I were you, I would start out with one. And nothing more for at least six months.

2. How long does it take to read and review a book?

I can safely say. If the book is good, you will read and review it quicker. If it isn’t…There also could be other reasons why you can’t get through a review: like personal problems, other responsibilities. My suggestion is never guarantee a book review unless you write for a magazine. (I write for Romantic Times, Precious Times, Rejoice, and some more, so see my dilemma J Don’t follow in my footsteps.) On a average it takes anywhere from two hours to two weeks to review one book.

Follow this simple review structure.

I’ve reviewed for many magazines, but Romantic Times Magazine has the best format. It’s short and it showcases both the triumphs and challenges of a book with grace and mercy.(something a Christian reviewer needs to keep in overabundance.)

The Format should have at least three paragraphs. The first paragraph summarizes the main characters, conflict and a hint at the resolution. If the novel is a romance, then the second paragraph will discuss the love interests motivation. The next paragraph will discuss your perception of the book. What worked could be one paragraph. What didn’t the next paragraph. It should also include what kind of reader may like this type of work.

This review is a sample of a typical review I would write. Note where the title and author is placed. Some review mags have a different title format, but this is the general one. Note: this review is a snippet. You can read the entire review at Romantic Times Book Club online magazine version or read the October 2005 print mag.

Still Waters
Patricia Haley
New Spirit/BET
ISBN # 1-58314-623-7

3.5 stars

Stay-at-home mom of six boys, Laurie Wright loves her children and her husband, Greg, but she doesn’t love herself. And to make matters worse, Greg has become abusive, since his job loss. She prays to God for help. He hasn’t answered…

Greg Wright can barely make ends meet for his family. He will do whatever it takes to provide for them and to save face from his caustic, judgmental father. So when he loses his job, he loses control... toward the affections of another man.

Haley presents three timely marital and Christian questions: (1) what constitutes adultery? (2) does separation restore marriage bonds or stretch them further, and (3) what do you do when you can’t here God’s voice? Laurie’s character is too complex for the tidy package resolution at the end. She needs to make a decision about her life not allow someone else to do it for her. (November, 272 pp, $15.00)

Dee Y. Stewart,
Reviewer

Also note that I have the publishing month, the number of pages and the retail price as the last line of the review. Readers need to know this information also.
If you have any questions about book reviews, please contact me. I would gladly hook you up.

Reading to see what the end’s gon’ be,
Dee








9 comments:

  1. Dee, you are such a sweetheart to do this for us. This article is going to help me tremendously. I've been reviewing without having a clue! Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dee. If you would like to review my books, please contact me at Lena@LenaNelsonDooley.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the opportunity. I really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, you're in my backyard! I'm in Suwanee. I'd love to talk to you about this. Have you joined the ACFW-SE Gerogia chapter? There are a lot of us in this area. THanks so much for this "template" for reviewing. Get in touch with me, too. Gina can give you my email address.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT POST, DEE! This is so incredibly useful and insightful. I mean, how often does an experienced book reviewer give tips? This is awesome. Thanks for doing this.
    camy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee, you and Gina should team up. Instead of Ebert and Roeper it'll be Dee and G, or Holmes and Stewart. Goodness, I don't know who should get top bill. Oh well, save the wishbone tomorrow and you two can have a grudgematch for top honors. Really though, thanks Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, Dee...but you always do good! I printed this out to keep in my folder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina and Dee,

    Thanks for this! Dee, I'll keep this all in mind as my reviews roll in... :) Good stuff.

    Blessings,
    Marilynn Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for demystifying the review process.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.