Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

It's Not About You (At Least It Shouldn't Be)

by James L. Rubart

I wasn't excited about waking up at 6:30 am late last November. (Not a morning person.)

But I had an interview with a Florida radio station for my novel, The Five Times I Met Myself. 



I figured I'd get up at 6:30, get some wake up juice in me and be ready to go by 7:30 when I would be on. 

Didn't figure I'd be woken up at six from a call from my publicist asking if I could do the interview a half hour earlier. (The person at the station who scheduled the interviews had screwed up.)

But there I was, on hold, waiting to go on. The on air team didn't think I could hear them. I could.

"What's wrong with her?"

"Huh?"

"Why can't she figure out how to schedule our interviews. She's always messing it up."

"I hear you."

"Like this one right now. He's on the west coast, not fun to have to wake up and get pumped up to be on air half an hour earlier than he thought. I mean, he's just an author ... but still."

" ... just an author ..."

I cracked up. Too funny and what a great way to be reminded that this author thing isn't that big a deal. In fact, nothing is that big a deal. Author, actor, musician, restaurant owner, receptionist, waiter, teacher ... 

If we're surrendered to Jesus, it doesn't matter what role we're in. It's not about us, it's about him.

True Confession

If I'd been on that call five years ago? It would have irritated me. Why? Because I was still trying to get my validation from man rather than God. I was basing my worth on how much respect I received for who I was and what I'd accomplished. 

Won't work. 

If we're writing to gain fame, respect, validation, praise ... we're on the wide road.

The narrow road is the only one that leads to life.

Let's take that one, yes?



James L. Rubart is 28 years old, but lives trapped inside an older man's body. He's the bestselling, Christy award winning writer of eight novels and lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington. More at www.jameslrubart.com



7 comments:

  1. Great timing, Jim. I've been contacted for two radio interviews. I was pondering what I'd talk about as I sat at my desk and opened my email.

    And there you were.

    Mark your calendar, because today God clearly used you in the life of someone else. Thanks for being obedient. I've been blessed because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reminder. Thank you!

    (And don't you just love those humbling moments? What I love is being old enough to laugh at them--and at myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one "just an author" to another, that's pretty hilarious. I'm glad you could laugh and not get irritated right before you went on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent reminder, Jim! I had to laugh at myself when my latest book hit #1 on Amazon in its category ... for 1 day. LOL God reminds us He is in control. I quit worry about all that. If we do our best and leave the results up to Him, then we're winners in all the right ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think i would have had to find a place in the interview to use the words, "just an author....." and watch the interviewer's face!! hahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool to hear that, Robin.

    True, Normandie!

    We need to call each other "just an author" from now on, Robin!

    Thanks, Kathy. :)

    Exactly, Ane.

    Robin, you're brilliant. That's exactly what I should have done.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.