Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, March 11, 2016

Thoughts for the Journey from Bill Myers

As an author and film producer, Bill Myers’s work has won over 70 national and international awards including the C.S. Lewis Honor Award. His books and videos, which include Eli and McGee and Me, have sold 8 million copies. His most recent book, The Jesus Experience - Journey Deeper into the Heart of God, explores how he went from a burned-out evangelical to someone head-over-heels in love with his Creator. www.billmyers.com

THE JOY OF OBEDIENCE

As a child in Seattle, I loved going to the Seafair Parade – especially when the Seafair pirates threw handfuls of candy onto the street from their float. That’s when the kids would run out, screaming and fighting, pushing and shoving, to get a piece of candy . . . as their parents laughed and clapped and shouted encouragement.

This was called “entertainment.”

One time when I was four or five, we got a perfect seat right on the curb. From there, I would be able to race ahead of the other kids and get a piece of candy, maybe two. But as the float approached and I prepared to make my move, my mom bent down to me and said, “Billy, I don’t want you going out there.”

What? I couldn’t believe my ears. I had the perfect seat. I was primed and ready. And now I was just supposed to sit there and watch everyone else run out to get their prize? Talk about unfair! It made no sense. But I obeyed. I sat there brokenhearted, tears streaming down my face as the pirates threw candy and my friends screamed and fought and laughed and pushed for their piece. I’ll never forget the pain and disappointment.

But there’s something else I’ll never forget . . .

As the float approached, it slowed to a stop. Through my tears I saw the head pirate reach into the barrel and pull out a giant handful of candy. He stepped down from the float and, in front of everybody, walked directly to me, bent over, and dumped the entire handful into my lap.

The incident changed my life.

At the tender age of four or five, I learned the power of obedience, even when it didn’t make sense. I learned that if I did God’s will, some how, some way everything else would fall into place. Take my word on that. Better yet, take His:


“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

4 comments:

  1. Amen... What a wonderful illustration/story! Thanks so much for sharing, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am sure I have missed many blessings because I wanted to run ahead and grab my place ahead of God. I see that happening all around me with the push to get published. But for me God has me in a waiting pattern and though it is hard I am choosing to be obedient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. As a Dad and a son, it is so easy to think you know best. Thanks for the great illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lesson, and obviously one you never forgot, Bill. I'm wondering--why did your mom tell you to stay put? Was she afraid you'd be trampled (mothers are sometimes overly protective)?
    Maybe she thought the whole thing was unseemly, or that you had had too much candy ...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.