Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Navigating the Writing Life with Author Yvonne Lehman


When Barbour decided to discontinue their line of Heartsong novels, I thought my career might be at a standstill. However, Harlequin is now publishing Heartsong and Let It Snow is my first with them. This one is the third in a Washington DC series. I’m greatly pleased with the work Harlequin is doing. They’ve now contracted me for a series of novels set in Savannah GA and the first one, The Caretaker’s Son, will be released in March, and the other two in August and November.

I also suspected my career might be over when technology replaced my typewriter and communication went viral. However, I’m learning to adjust. Learning is the key.

Many times when I had no contract and felt my career had ended before it really got a start, that fear was unfounded when I refused to quit and continued the learning, growing, praying, writing.

We writers are blessed that we don’t have to stay in a negative state of mine, but persevere. My writing journey began when I first attended a writers conference and that opened up a whole new world to me. That led me to begin the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference that I directed for 25 years before turning it over Alton Gansky. He is now doing a wonderful job of offering instruction and inspiration to writers. Edie Melson is a tremendous help with social media.

Early in my career, I questioned whether I wanted success before I had the skills. It’s easy to want a result before we’ve put in the work. But we’re blessed that there are so many conferences and courses available. There are books on writing and internet access to writers eager to share what they’ve learned through the years. 

After giving up the Blue Ridge Conference I felt there was a need for a Novel Retreat. Retreat meaning a getting away from our usual routines and concentrating only on the novel. This has been invaluable to many who have started a novel or want to write one. I’ve held it at Ridgecrest for several years but am considering a different place this year in these panoramic mountains of western North Carolina. Any of you who are interested, please let me know. Contact me at yvonnelehman3@gmail.com or via facebook.

The greatest reason to continue, despite struggles and questions, is that God’s word says, “I know the plans I have for you.” He also says that his word is a light unto our path. That seems to say we offer what we have to Him, continue to learn and grow, and leave the results to Him. Blessings to each of you on your journey.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Yvonne. I'm guessing there aren't more comments because there's nothing really to argue with here. I've been there and heard the dejection in your voice at one time when you were thinking for a moment, that this might be the end of the line for you and not just you but many writers. What it made me realize is to take nothing for granted. Tomorrow isn't promised. If tomorrow you lost every contract and couldn't write for pay you at least can rest easy in your accomplishments, one huge one is the conference and all the lives you've changed by being faithful for so many years. My life was changed and I love that conference as much for the classes as for the worship. My faith was strengthened and challenged and so many others could say the same. That's not money in the bank, but it's banked forever in Heaven. Well done, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post, Yvonne. Your life as a writer illustrates how God always has something new to teach us and a new season in which to progress us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessing to you!Thank you for posting this,and that last aragraph was right on time,I don't know how else to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Yvonne. The Lords plans for you are good! You have proven your writing abilities consistently. You have been blessed with the gift of beautifully expressing your thoughts,in the many books, that have been published! A journey, but a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.